what to do

Send in OMP to NCS
5 (71.4%)
Remove from OMP and send to NCS
1 (14.3%)
Make conservation by myself (i can do it) and send to NGC
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Panda gold conservation  (Read 1204 times)

Offline pandahunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Panda gold conservation
« on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:23 PM »
Hello!
I have a question. I want to send some panda coins to NGC. Now whey are in OMP.

What to do?

1) Send in OMP to NCS
2) Remove from OMP and send to NCS
3) Make conservation by myself (i can do it) and send to NGC

How to get max grade?  :blush: N40

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
Re: Panda gold conservation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I don't see any reason to do option 2 - if you're definitely sending the coins to NCS, just leave them in OMP and they'll remove them at NCS.  Unless the OMP package is so dirty that you need to remove the coin just to see it's true condition.  But otherwise, just leave it in OMP.

I'm more interested in hearing peoples' opinions and experience on option 3.   I've also done my own conservation on some pandas - not all of them, but several submissions worth.  My own results have been decent - 87% MS69 grades, with the rest MS68.  But never an MS70, which may be telling, hard to say. 

Pandahunter, I'm interested to read about your own conservation techniques, if you're comfortable sharing that info.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
  I have done all 3 options the winds at NGC are constantly shifting:)    I can teach someome in 10 minutes how to safely take copper spots from a gold coin ......  If you send a submission to NCS and get great grades you will swear only by doing that ...  I have conserved coins myself and gotten 70,s many times  ,,,, I use the high value rule :) and of course the condition of the coin counts  .... i will take a 1/10th gold panda that is worth $200 and remove a copper spot to save grading fees but a several thousand dollar coin I just leave it too the experts.   

Offline pandahunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »

Pandahunter, I'm interested to read about your own conservation techniques, if you're comfortable sharing that info.

I do not have it :( It was only hypothesis that i know how to make it....
Red spot i remove with cigar lighter but how to make final conservation - i should test and practice with difference coins chemical.