Author Topic: Nick Brown - he would have been 55 years old today, Sunday June 12, 2016  (Read 1853 times)

Offline dannypeer

• Trade Count: (0)
I regularly think of Nick but on the anniversary of his passing (May 13th) through today (his birthday) I have been thinking of him more.  I have been wondering how Nick would be reacting to the "Extremely Hot" yearly panda market today.  Nick and I often debated our paths in the China modern coin market.  I strongly debated him on my thinking that the yearly panda coins were less risky and very liquid.  He countered that the very rare large gold non-panda pieces were the real prizes.  I did agree with him he was focused on the "prizes" but in a down market who would want such prizes?   

Since Nick passed, his extremely rare (yet beautiful) large/expensive prizes have crashed for a variety of reasons.  While on the other hand, the yearly pandas that I have accumulated (especially 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000) have become very liquid prizes.  I then wonder if Nick would have jumped in with me in the yearly panda market and how much pressure he would have put on me to sell him my material. 

Oh such great debates we would be having over cranberry Juice & Vodkas (with 2 limes) and playing Backgammon!  Speaking of backgammon, in 2015 I saw Nick's wife for breakfast and she gave me a priceless gift - Nick's backgammon board that we used since our college days.  I really appreciated the gift.

On Monday June 13th, I am having lunch with Nick's mom and sister.  I will show them this posting....letting them know I/we think of him a lot and that I personally miss gambling with him....and debating him....and will let them know I won this round!!!      Danny Spungen / danny@whynotcollectibles.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Great Tribute to Nick. 

Your guidance to me back in 2008 about investing in gold pandas over other MCC has been priceless in my life.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Nick P. Brown remains in the hearts and minds of everyone who knew him. I miss the enthusiasm, the coin shows, the long phone calls, the creative sessions, the planning and the all the other chat. I miss the fun and the insights. I miss how he could skewer someone who irked him. I miss his love of Chinese coins. I miss his generosity to everyone, his suggestions and oh so much wish I could share what I am close to finishing with him. It is something he and I discussed. His last phone message to me remains on my answering machine. I miss Nick's friendship; the world is a lesser place without him.

Happy birthday Nick and God bless!

I am grateful for Danny and all his efforts to remember so many and so much.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Amen........... Rest in peace Nick.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Nick's love for the large size MCCs is definitely missed.  I will never forget his large display of many of his large size MCCs at the ANA Worlds Fair of Money in Chicago in the summer of 2011.  It was awe inspiring to see so many large and beautiful coins all together in one place.  I don't know if it would even be possible to make such a display again here in the US.  I know I would certainly love to see a similar display again. His enthusiasm for those coins was unmatched.  May he rest in peace.

Obsidian / Seth

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Whenever I went to a show ...........the first booth I would go to always! It was a wonderland of beautiful big coins :) ,makes me smile just thinking about it ,and Nick would always come over and share an unmatched enthusiasm about them and take the time to tell you all the different facets of any coin you where looking at . I bought and sold a few times with Nick and it was always a most pleasant experience................

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Clearly a juggernaut of the MCC world from all I have heard and read about him.

May he rest in peace and continue to inspire us to reach for the sky.

God bless his soul and comfort all who continue to mourn him.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!