Author Topic: Grading Coins  (Read 837 times)

Offline BerlinPanda

• Trade Count: (0)
Grading Coins
« on: May 31, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
Hello,
I realized, that in this Forum and on American eBay etc, a lot of the Coins shown are graded and sealed by NGC,PMG...
I know that sealed Coins don't get scratched and probably oxidize less and they are verified as original Coins.
Is it worth to send in Coins for Grading? I mean, I don't  have that many coins yet worth it, but in general?
Should I try to buy only graded Coins or are e.g  coins sealed in original cover also good?
What grade do most Coins have that are original sealed and do they loose quality over time?

Greetings

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+22)
Re: Grading Coins
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:38 PM »
Hello,

Welcome to CCF.
Reason i prefer coins graded: authenticity, liquidity, protection and knowing the grade of the coins ie investment quality grade(69 and above).

Coins in omp may deteriorate in time as the plastic contains pvc. Personally i would grade any Chinese coin if i think the chances are high to obtain high grades. It is a personal preference though. You may want to consider the value of the coin also if its worth spending grading fees.

Hope  that helps.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
It's up to you if you think its worth it to send in. Grading can be expensive so the value add depends if you plan on selling it or just authenticating it. If you have coins in OMP its possible storage may damage, but the packaging is pretty good. Personally i do a combination of omp and graded, since graded is more expensive. However depending where you are located and the prices, it might end up being a wash and you might just want to buy the graded version.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
Specifically, it seems that there tends to be more grading of coins in the USA as compared to Europe and China. Although encapsulating coins may retard coin surface deterioration it is not invariable; placing the OMP or Coin Slab in Intercept Technology (Coin Armour) bags and boxes may improve the stability of the coin surface appearance.

Opinions vary a lot so your personal preference may hold sway after all. I try to buy coins already graded and encapsulated but I also buy OMPs. However beware of those OMPs because some are resealed after pre-screening to remove the highest quality coins for encapsulation.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!