Coin-related Affiliate Program
0 (0%)
Google Text Ads
2 (5.9%)
Ask for Donation
19 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: May 14, 2016, 06:27:58 PM

Author Topic: Dear members, please help me make the decision!  (Read 10537 times)

Offline Cornishfarmer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Dear members, please help me make the decision!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
I'm a member of a cracking silver forum in the uk. We have is where we pay a small sub for the year, then we get to see items for sale 3 days before non sub payers. Then everyone gets to see all content, but if you want to get first choice you pay up. Few other little perks but that is the main reason we pay

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
Many websites have the same idea where they offer free (basic) content and services. But if someone wants perks/extras/privileges, they have to pay to get them. All the current CCF members have enjoyed a free service of content and the privilege of BST for years. But as snowball stated at the beginning of this thread that the need to upgrade is imminent and the cost associated to the upgrade. It's not unreasonable to ask the forum members to chip in to keep the current theme going. Personally, I do not see anything wrong with paying a premium for service/privilege if one really wants/needs it. Everyone is given the same option - if one wants the privilege/service, he will pay for it - but it's an option.

Offline Tao-Panda

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »
Giving special privileges to donating members is question of the philosophy the forum wants to get... making a difference between members or wishing equality between members.
Personally, I prefer equality.

Offline wittu

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
I am not sure, if donating is supposed to mean an automatically special service?

I am no fan of different classes of members.

Maybe there are enough donating members, that don`t expect an extra treatment afterwards?
Just wondering...

Option 4

Greetings,
wittu  N48

edit
and of course dealers are invited, to donate anonymous, too  (Option 1 involved)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
If you go through the archives of this forum you will see tons of information that members have freely provided for the benefit of others. If such egalitarian activities are to continue in this forum we have to make sure we do not segment membership.

Individuals who believe they need market thumping information can set up independent newsletters and similar subscription based publications such as some have done with the stock market. That will be completely normal and legal.

I still think we have a good thing going on here at CCF and we need to work together to make sure that the balance is maintained.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
I am not sure, if donating is supposed to mean an automatically special service?

I am no fan of different classes of members.

Maybe there are enough donating members, that don`t expect an extra treatment afterwards?
Just wondering...

Greetings,
wittu  N48

wittu,

The problem is, as a few here pointed out, voluntary donation can be sporadic. So what happens when the donations don't come in? I, personally, don't view it as different classes of members - while I respect your view if you do. I simply think of it as a pay subscription to get what I want. We, the forum members, have been getting it free of charge for years because snowball is kind and generous enough to provide the cost for it, but it's calling for a change. JMHO.

We can respectfully agree to disagree.  N39   N66

Offline wittu

• Supporter
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 03:13:07 PM »
and i respectfully take a step back.
I am pretty new and i enjoy being here.

So whatever older members decide ... i will follow without any question. I am sure, you all will find a good way of solving this problem  N25

Greetings,
wittu  N48

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
I do not foresee any problems with generating the amount quoted for hosting the forum every year. I have suggested a two month period (November-December) every year in which members can donate voluntarily through paypal to cover the amount required for the coming year. The caliber/drive/networth of individuals who use this forum is such that it is unlikely to take one week to complete donations each year.

Please note that this is an opinion but I defer to Snowball at the end of the day to determine which arrangement makes the greatest sense to him.

Thanks.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »
Giving special privileges to donating members is question of the philosophy the forum wants to get... making a difference between members or wishing equality between members.
Personally, I prefer equality.

Agree. I will make donation and do not want any special privilege.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »
Many websites have the same idea where they offer free (basic) content and services. But if someone wants perks/extras/privileges, they have to pay to get them. All the current CCF members have enjoyed a free service of content and the privilege of BST for years. But as snowball stated at the beginning of this thread that the need to upgrade is imminent and the cost associated to the upgrade. It's not unreasonable to ask the forum members to chip in to keep the current theme going. Personally, I do not see anything wrong with paying a premium for service/privilege if one really wants/needs it. Everyone is given the same option - if one wants the privilege/service, he will pay for it - but it's an option.

I would like to purpose Option #5.

Annual fee for member who initiates BST thread.

Currently, the total number of topic at BST forum is 3320, about the combined total numbers of Modern Chinese coins, Imperial & Republic coins and Fake Chinese Coins together. IMO, the significant increase in traffic, which forces the upgrade of hosting plan has something to do with the activities at BST forum.

From 1/1/2016 to today, 42 sellers and 9 buyers have initiated thread at BST forum. Annual fee of $20 will be sufficient to cover the cost of running this forum. This option will keep this forum clean, free of ads and without outside sponsors. It also will have some effects to keep scammer away from this forum.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »
I would like to purpose Option #5.

Annual fee for member who initiates BST thread.

Currently, the total number of topic at BST forum is 3320, about the combined total numbers of Modern Chinese coins, Imperial & Republic coins and Fake Chinese Coins together. IMO, the significant increase in traffic, which forces the upgrade of hosting plan has something to do with the activities at BST forum.

From 1/1/2016 to today, 42 sellers and 9 buyers have initiated thread at BST forum. Annual fee of $20 will be sufficient to cover the cost of running this forum. This option will keep this forum clean, free of ads and without outside sponsors. It also will have some effects to keep scammer away from this forum.

I will support this option as well. $20 fee is very reasonable, yet it will deter scammers. I will favor the fee only for sellers. Buyer need not pay it.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

Charging annual fee on sellers might not be the best option.  There are many members here don’t sell that frequently as dealer members.    A large % of the members don’t even participate the BST.  They are mainly here for information.  It is not a good idea to charge them fees If one day they only want to post a few selling threads.   
We could add more limitation on new sellers in order to prevent scammers.  However, charging seller fees is not an option I am going to consider.

best regards,

snowball
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

Charging annual fee on sellers might not be the best option.  There are many members here don’t sell that frequently as dealer members.    A large % of the members don’t even participate the BST.  They are mainly here for information.  It is not a good idea to charge them fees If one day they only want to post a few selling threads.   
We could add more limitation on new sellers in order to prevent scammers.  However, charging seller fees is not an option I am going to consider.

best regards,

snowball

Thanks for the response. I respect and understand your decision.

Offline purpuratum

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
Agree. I will make donation and do not want any special privilege.

The same applies to me. I personally have taken a lot of benefits by being a silent reader for many years. I want to give something back.
I will make a donation too. N31

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
I like the donation idea..