Coin-related Affiliate Program
0 (0%)
Google Text Ads
2 (5.9%)
Ask for Donation
19 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: May 14, 2016, 06:27:58 PM

Author Topic: Dear members, please help me make the decision!  (Read 10539 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Dear members, please help me make the decision!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 10:36:38 AM »
I like option 1 but rotating dealers every 6 months would give others visibility as opposed to dominating the space every year by the same ones

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »
Donations could be sporadic, and not reliable form of funding.  You will have to keep asking for donations until you meet your objective.  I am not in favor of this option.

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »
Donations could be sporadic, and not reliable form of funding.  You will have to keep asking for donations until you meet your objective.  I am not in favor of this option.

Hi Chris,  Thank you for the suggestion!

Before I started this poll, I couldn't imagine donation got the highest # of votes so far.   I thought it would be my last option.  Thanks again for the support!  N39

Perhaps, I can mix #1 & #4.   Nothing is final.  We still have plenty time. 

best,

snowball
Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
If we assume the sponsorship year will run from January to December you can open a Member's Support thread on November 1st of the preceding year with the total amount needed and suggested minimum together with the Paypal payment button.

This is entirely optional and I believe that there are several members here who are very willing, including myself, to donate towards maintenance of this excellent forum.

I tell you there is merit to the idea of a member sponsored/supported (full or partial) forum!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 01:05:57 PM »

This.. but I do think a mixture of 1 & 4 would work. It works well on a couple other forums I frequent. It would help build up a fund. I would also donate

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 03:29:36 PM »
I am surprised you don't already allow dealers to buy ad placement.
Some of the top names in the business post and sell here...
Average online per day: 76.49 with Average page views per day: 9309.13
Means the average "person" reads 122 pages here a day?
Start charging the bots.  :lol:

Offline snowball

• 猫迷
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • China Mint
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »
I am surprised you don't already allow dealers to buy ad placement.
Some of the top names in the business post and sell here...Means the average "person" reads 122 pages here a day?
Start charging the bots.  :lol:

Hello NBM
If it is not for the raising cost and my personal issue, I would never start this thread.    :crying:

Right now, the links at the bottom are my own sites, our ex-moderator, Peter's site, and sites that I really like.    Yes.  The forum is ads free, and it has been staying that way since the beginning.   

Happy Collecting!  快乐收藏!

Colin
CE Collection Inc.
China Mint | Online Store

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:27 PM »
I voted for donation but I'm here to help however necessary to keep the forum running  :001_smile:

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
If the coin-related sites, mentioned in Option 2, are NGC, PCGS, and major auction houses, I will vote for it. Otherwise, Option 4, donation.

Offline bklim1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 01:03:03 AM »
Hi I am new here but I don't mind making donation through PayPal. I enjoys the news here and gains knowledge  over here.

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »

:001_wub:

option 4

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »
First, thank you snowball for providing this platform for all of us. Here are my 2 cents:

1) It is best keep it independent without any sponsorship
2) Donations can be unreliable
3) I might catch some flack for this, but I suggest a "PREMIUM section" in the forum that is only accessible by a "donation" There is so much valuable/actionable information such as provided by Arif, Poco, SANDAC,..etc Some of that can be in a premium section. $25-$50 a year is a steal for such information.

Thanks again.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:09 PM »
First, thank you snowball for providing this platform for all of us. Here are my 2 cents:

1) It is best keep it independent without any sponsorship
2) Donations can be unreliable
3) I might catch some flack for this, but I suggest a "PREMIUM section" in the forum that is only accessible by a "donation" There is so much valuable/actionable information such as provided by Arif, Poco, SANDAC,..etc Some of that can be in a premium section. $25-$50 a year is a steal for such information.

Thanks again.

Suggestion #3 runs the risk of doing the same thing this forum has been fighting against all these years. It will create an elite sub-group of forum members who have information others do not have with the consequence/risk of market/member manipulation for personal gain.

Once we start divvying up forum members, seeds of suspicion and interclass warfare are sown. This forum will go downhill.

This also brings up another safeguard that has to be placed here if even ALL members donate under Suggestion#2; the fact that some members donated towards the hosting of the forum does not mean that they have any special rights in the forum over those who did not donate. They are still regular members who are subject to all the rules and protocols of the forum.

This is just my opinion. Perhaps others can help clarify the discussion.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »

You won't catch any flack from me. I actually think it's a very creative idea. On top of that, perhaps moving BST into the premium section can potentially eliminate scammers.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
Yes,

If the donation idea is pursued (and I believe it should be since the cost of running this forum for a year is minimal when split between many members, and because many of us profit from the use of this unique platform), the donors would not have special privileges over non-donating members. This is a tricky issue. I have seen it work well at other forums, however, I don't like the secrecy. It sometimes creates an elitest attitude within the privileged members.

I paid $50 bucks for Peter's newest book and I pay a monthly subscription fee to China Pricepedia, so chipping in for this site, which is another excellent information resource PLUS a means by which to acquire and distribute MCC would be a no-brainer.