Author Topic: Late 80's Date Gold Pandas  (Read 4820 times)

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Late 80's Date Gold Pandas
« on: April 12, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
Will I believe that I understand that even with the lower mintages of the later 1980 date pandas and that the fact that most were sold to oversea collectors like the USA their are several examples of these coins.  In my area of the world I seem to always stumble across 1986-89 gold pandas in the OMP.  As a newbie I am tempted to buy them as they are usually sold at spot plus $40-50 bucks, but I haven't as I don't understand what the upside is to owning them.  They might become more valuable in the future but I'm not sure when that will happen as there are so many nice examples of them out there, IMO. 

Am I missing something?  Should they be bought and stashed is a question I always ask myself.  Right now I am saving my resources in hopes that I stumble across something post 2000 or nice 1 oz silver pandas. 

I'm curious what you the more seasoned panda collectors think about these earlier date gold pandas.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: Late 80's Date Gold Pandas
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:17:26 PM »
Will I believe that I understand that even with the lower mintages of the later 1980 date pandas and that the fact that most were sold to oversea collectors like the USA their are several examples of these coins.  In my area of the world I seem to always stumble across 1986-89 gold pandas in the OMP.  As a newbie I am tempted to buy them as they are usually sold at spot plus $40-50 bucks, but I haven't as I don't understand what the upside is to owning them.  They might become more valuable in the future but I'm not sure when that will happen as there are so many nice examples of them out there, IMO. 

Am I missing something?  Should they be bought and stashed is a question I always ask myself.  Right now I am saving my resources in hopes that I stumble across something post 2000 or nice 1 oz silver pandas. 

I'm curious what you the more seasoned panda collectors think about these earlier date gold pandas.

I have been through a few seasons of MCC collection  N16  N17  :lol:  but still miles away from becoming a “seasoned" collector so pardon my contribution.  I believe that a clue to your dilemma is determining what I have often mentioned and grappled with myself; are you a collector, investor, seller or a combination of some or all known classifications?

As a collector you buy what interests and you are you can afford. If you had an unlimited budget collecting all the gold panda fractional sets from 1982 onwards, for example, still makes a lot of sense.

If you are buying to make money in the short to medium term semi and key coins will be the way to go and they seem to be clustered currently in the 1990s up to 2010.

I have been building sets in fits and starts due to distraction by other offerings; If I was to continue I will eventually get all the 1980’s sets. If you astutely put together your set I believe it will be profitable in years to come but I don’t know how soon. But there will come a time when the 1980s’ releases will be in short supply; that is also when the valuation of specific single coins in that series will start climbing rapidly. I believe it is a question of time but I cannot tell you when?

This is a question I have already asked behind the scenes so thank you for asking it here. Perhaps our seasoned collectors will help clarify the vision.  N20
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »
I am not seasoned, but I am in the process of seasoning... :) 80's are generally more available. If you search through this forum, you will find hints of which ones to go after first. If you are on a limited budget like myself, then you have to get the better ones before they appreciate. That being said, even some of the 80's coins are appreciating right now. As KOT said, your strategy will depend on your collection style.

Investors may buy multiples of the same date/coin because it is difficult to get. Collectors will buy single coins and move on to the next dates. For me, it is what falls in my budget. I decide the budget first and have a list of coins. Coins that fall in the budget I buy, if they do not, I don't. Occasionally, I'll stretch for that really hard to get coin and pay retail because I'm not patient enough for it to show up $30 cheaper. It is also important to notice pricing trends.. What they were the previous 1-3 months, what they are current, and where they went after some time while you are shopping. Focus on a particular size and develop your technique/strategy for hunting down the coins..

Watch out for emotional/spontaneous purchases. It's better to know your range so you don't overpay, and if you do there's a valid reason for it. 80's is generally more available. 2013-2015 > 2011-2012 | 2009 > 1985-1989 > 2010 > 1999-2008 > 1990 > 1996-1997 > 1991-1994 > 2002 > > 1998 > 1995 > 2006.. Something along those lines in my realitively new experience.

Peter Anthony's book Panda Guide is helpful and onsale from the owner of this boards website. I paid $53, the online store here has it for $37. I believe he's coming out with a new book but not sure of the release date. I would pick that one up on issuance.

http://www.pandausa.net/Gold-and-Silver-Panda-Coin-Buyers-Guide-2nd-Edition--by-Peter-Anthony_p_123.html

I don't know your 'area' of the world but that also plays a factor of what you can get. So I'm sure that will influence pricing but makes it important to establish baseline price targets and know what going rates are.

Good luck!

Offline tater

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
I have been through a few seasons of MCC collection  N16  N17  :lol:  but still miles away from becoming a “seasoned" collector so pardon my contribution.  I believe that a clue to your dilemma is determining what I have often mentioned and grappled with myself; are you a collector, investor, seller or a combination of some or all known classifications?

As a collector you buy what interests and you are you can afford. If you had an unlimited budget collecting all the gold panda fractional sets from 1982 onwards, for example, still makes a lot of sense.

If you are buying to make money in the short to medium term semi and key coins will be the way to go and they seem to be clustered currently in the 1990s up to 2010.

I have been building sets in fits and starts due to distraction by other offerings; If I was to continue I will eventually get all the 1980’s sets. If you astutely put together your set I believe it will be profitable in years to come but I don’t know how soon. But there will come a time when the 1980s’ releases will be in short supply; that is also when the valuation of specific single coins in that series will start climbing rapidly. I believe it is a question of time but I cannot tell you when?

This is a question I have already asked behind the scenes so thank you for asking it here. Perhaps our seasoned collectors will help clarify the vision.  N20

That's the problem, I'm mostly a collector that's why I'm drawn to the panda and a couple of the US types which is my true desire, (US Peace Dollars) but as a collector I only have X amount of resources so I often find myself in finding ways through my hobby to buy pieces that I truly desire.  My problem is that I will find a good deal on a semi key buy it with intent to flip and than end up holding it.  I get the buy the key dates, but right now I'm not ready to jump all in and get burnt.  I'm still in the knowledge gaining phase for this series especially in gold.

Offline tater

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »
I am not seasoned, but I am in the process of seasoning... :) 80's are generally more available. If you search through this forum, you will find hints of which ones to go after first. If you are on a limited budget like myself, then you have to get the better ones before they appreciate. That being said, even some of the 80's coins are appreciating right now. As KOT said, your strategy will depend on your collection style.

Investors may buy multiples of the same date/coin because it is difficult to get. Collectors will buy single coins and move on to the next dates. For me, it is what falls in my budget. I decide the budget first and have a list of coins. Coins that fall in the budget I buy, if they do not, I don't. Occasionally, I'll stretch for that really hard to get coin and pay retail because I'm not patient enough for it to show up $30 cheaper. It is also important to notice pricing trends.. What they were the previous 1-3 months, what they are current, and where they went after some time while you are shopping. Focus on a particular size and develop your technique/strategy for hunting down the coins..

Watch out for emotional/spontaneous purchases. It's better to know your range so you don't overpay, and if you do there's a valid reason for it. 80's is generally more available. 2013-2015 > 2011-2012 | 2009 > 1985-1989 > 2010 > 1999-2008 > 1990 > 1996-1997 > 1991-1994 > 2002 > > 1998 > 1995 > 2006.. Something along those lines in my realitively new experience.

Peter Anthony's book Panda Guide is helpful and onsale from the owner of this boards website. I paid $53, the online store here has it for $37. I believe he's coming out with a new book but not sure of the release date. I would pick that one up on issuance.

http://www.pandausa.net/Gold-and-Silver-Panda-Coin-Buyers-Guide-2nd-Edition--by-Peter-Anthony_p_123.html

I don't know your 'area' of the world but that also plays a factor of what you can get. So I'm sure that will influence pricing but makes it important to establish baseline price targets and know what going rates are.

Good luck!

Well said.  I have bought the book and been through it a couple of times now.  I have not ventured into Pricepedia yet, and have only been looking at auction results to help me understand the price, however I have not been graphing it to check for trends, (time resource). 

Offline mazinger7000

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:48:46 PM »
it's simply about supply and demand. the more common coins from the 80s are clearly in greater supply as you have noticed. unfortunately the demand for them is not greater than for other coins, so they are not worth as much and less likely to go up in value until they become harder to find. the coins that are hard to find are worth more generally speaking. several 90s years coins being the ultimate examples of this. perhaps some of those 80s coins will eventually get harder to find. so it might be worth a gamble, but it will likely take awhile. so far, the key and semi key dates from the 90s and into the 2000s have had much more action and many have gained a great deal of value in a short time. peter's book has definitely been helpful in pointing out population estimates for the different years. pricepedia simply catalogues the latest sales prices of coins, which is useful too. the best advice is for you to go back and read every post that keydate1/2ozpandas has ever written on this forum. no one is as knowledgable and open with information as arif.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:50:50 AM »
the best advice is for you to go back and read every post that keydate1/2ozpandas has ever written on this forum. no one is as knowledgable and open with information as arif.

Hey, hey. This is blatant opinion! :)

Don't overlook Poconopenn's wisdom. He simply disguises it as helpful suggestion rather than beating you over the head with it . . . unless of course you refuse to make smart decisions. Then he more blatantly points out your erring ways. And let us not forget Panda Halves, after whom KDP's recent name change is modeled IMO.  Eli is one clever bearkeeper.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:27 AM »
There's a lot of wisdom and plenty of Master Jedi in this forum. There's a little something to learn from everyone... I'd say Mirkkanen is also a Jedi in the panda realm.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:16:46 AM »
 N40
But . . .

N32

Much to learn, I have.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
The mid to late 1980's were one of the peaks in Panda interest. At that time the markets were entirely outside of China. Some people bought multiple sets of every Panda issued and that is the reason so many are still available. That said, the proof sets had mintages of 8-10,000, not exactly huge by today's standards. When will prices reflect this? My guess is whenever collectors inside China start to notice them. I will not predict a date for that event, however.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Grip

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »
The mid to late 1980's were one of the peaks in Panda interest. At that time the markets were entirely outside of China. Some people bought multiple sets of every Panda issued and that is the reason so many are still available. That said, the proof sets had mintages of 8-10,000, not exactly huge by today's standards. When will prices reflect this? My guess is whenever collectors inside China start to notice them. I will not predict a date for that event, however.

The proofs are a conundrum as they were meant specifically for collectors. It could be that the Chinese are currently more speculators than collectors so the action remains in the "flip for profit coins"..  

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 09:12:25 PM »
I love the proofs :) I buy and sell sometimes but never have sold a proof set ...maybe they are a mintage trap? who knows but very nice IMHO . At one time  you could buy them so close to melt it was hard not to buy them if you wanted to invest in physical gold.. now not so easy to find at those price levels .in fact at one time you could always find 10 sets on e bay..... not any longer though??

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
A potential future conversation in China..."Hey look, I got gold panda master-set in ms69!" and reply "Oh yeah! I got proofs set too!"

When will that day come?

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22:31 PM »
Probably right after I sell mine, assuming they were never going to rise in value :)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »
A potential future conversation in China..."Hey look, I got gold panda master-set in ms69!" and reply "Oh yeah! I got proofs set too!"

When will that day come?

Please can they wait until I complete my own set?  N2
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!