Author Topic: Option to ncs only?  (Read 12590 times)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Option to ncs only?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

You hit the spot.

I find it hard to believe that ngc cannot guarantee the original grade after ncs, or at least just ncs the coin without regrade. If thats the case, it means buying a 70 gold coin is a big risk because red spots might develop. It is possible to find another 70 specimen if the 70 population is not small but what if its a very low pop coin or even the only 70? There is a big chance that the only 70 coin will regrade lower thus dissapear... hmm...

This is why it is so important to properly protect your coins from developing spots.  All coins run back thru NCS for spot removal have to be regraded.  Not worth the risk vs proper protection

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 05:42:09 AM »
As far as I know, the grade is guarantee.
If there is a risk to damage the coin during restoration process, NCS does not remove the coin from the slab and ship it back to the owner.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
I believe the question here is if an MS70 gold coin with red spots can be guaranteed to maintain the MS70 grade after conservation. I don't think this can be guaranteed.

you guys are approaching this all wrong!!!! :)    I have a rarer 1oz gold Krugarrand (special addition)   pf 70 ultra cameo, it was in an NGC holder  had a big red spot . so as you guys know NGC guarantees the grade   ...I sent the coin in under what they call GRADE REVIEW  saying how could you grade this coin ms70 with that big red spot on it ??   keep in mind they guarantee the grade ...they have 2 choices downgrade and pay you the difference :)   or conserve the red spot out which is easy for them to do reholder and maintain the grade... ALL FOR FREE:)  they even refunded my shipping to them:)   if you have a 70 or 69 in an ngc holder with copper spots ...  gold we are talking about here try it :) you will be pleasantly surprised .... now of course white spot silver coins are a no go as they have a disclaimer in place. thanks joe 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 12:32:00 PM »
Appearance review is what it is termed

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
Coin Conservation. NGC may also, at its sole reasonable discretion, have a Coin submitted under this Appearance Review service professionally conserved by it or an affiliated company if NGC believes that doing so can improve its fitness for the grade originally assigned. There will be no charges assessed to the submitter for conservation service performed in conjunction with an Appearance Review.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 12:35:50 PM »
from ngc

Offline madronya

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 12:56:00 PM »
There is a caveat in the NGC guarantee:

"In certain Coins, natural environmental deterioration may cause undesired features to appear, such as (but not limited to) spotting, hazing, PVC and corrosion. Spots, for example, can occur on modern silver Coins as a result of the minting process or other natural conditions over which NGC has no control. Therefore, the NGC Guarantee does not apply to Coins exhibiting any of these issues."

Sounds like white spots on silver may not be covered,  but red spots on gold may be?

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »
you guys are approaching this all wrong!!!! :)    I have a rarer 1oz gold Krugarrand (special addition)   pf 70 ultra cameo, it was in an NGC holder  had a big red spot . so as you guys know NGC guarantees the grade   ...I sent the coin in under what they call GRADE REVIEW  saying how could you grade this coin ms70 with that big red spot on it ??   keep in mind they guarantee the grade ...they have 2 choices downgrade and pay you the difference :)   or conserve the red spot out which is easy for them to do reholder and maintain the grade... ALL FOR FREE:)  they even refunded my shipping to them:)   if you have a 70 or 69 in an ngc holder with copper spots ...  gold we are talking about here try it :) you will be pleasantly surprised .... now of course white spot silver coins are a no go as they have a disclaimer in place. thanks joe 

Grade guarantee does not work if the coin develops spots whether copper spots on gold or white spots on silver if they develop after grading. The coin must be sent to NCS for removal and the coin is sent back thru the grading mill.  Your grade will be dependent on the condition of the coin after NCS and at the will of the grader. 

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 01:45:40 PM »
Great thread guys, tons of good info.  I'm sure this question has been asked before, but if you don't mind I'll ask again...

Do we know for sure - as in, has anyone ever been told directly by someone who does grading for NGC or PCGS - that copper spots affect the grade?   To be specific, I'm talking only about reddish-colored copper spots, nothing else that might qualify as a surface impurity but is something other than what we consider run of the mill copper spotting.

I've submitted US coins with copper spotting and have always been elated with the grade, and have seen pandas submitted with spotting and still come back MS69.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Grade guarantee does not work if the coin develops spots whether copper spots on gold or white spots on silver if they develop after grading. The coin must be sent to NCS for removal and the coin is sent back thru the grading mill.  Your grade will be dependent on the condition of the coin after NCS and at the will of the grader. 
[/quot
There is a caveat in the NGC guarantee:

NGC is very specific about white spots on sliver they disclaim them on the NCS website  ..but copper spots on gold  I have had good experience with NGC on this apperance review   keep in mind  NGC wants to help customers and preserve the integrity of their grading system  they do not want poor looking 70 graded coins floating around in their holders.. and it is very cheap good customer relations  .............   

"In certain Coins, natural environmental deterioration may cause undesired features to appear, such as (but not limited to) spotting, hazing, PVC and corrosion. Spots, for example, can occur on modern silver Coins as a result of the minting process or other natural conditions over which NGC has no control. Therefore, the NGC Guarantee does not apply to Coins exhibiting any of these issues."

Sounds like white spots on silver may not be covered,  but red spots on gold may be?

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:33 PM »
NGC is very specific about white spots on sliver they disclaim them on the NCS website  ..but copper spots on gold  I have had good experience with NGC on this apperance review   keep in mind  NGC wants to help customers and preserve the integrity of their grading system  they do not want poor looking 70 graded coins floating around in their holders.. and it is very cheap good customer relations  .............   

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 02:54:18 PM »
I guess there is still no reliable method for removing white spots and haze from silver coins?

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=12247.0
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!