Author Topic: New to buying pandas. Thinking of buying some from 2014-2016, but need input  (Read 7816 times)

Offline christians86

• Trade Count: (0)
If you are keeping them 10 years and asking for advice now. Anything you choose will be 'right'. We can't predict what will do best that far out. Sounds to me like you have a solid understanding of what you want to do. I would just stick to your plan. Also, on older pandas, I do the NCS+NGC on all coins, for $11 more its worth it for me. I doubt it is overkill! Getting the rarest is one of those propositions that is tricky. You can have something super rare, but not very liquid. At that point, its a personal preference and a judgement call on the coin. Your local market or personal taste will let you know.

Personally, I stay with the more common type of rare panda because as mentioned it has a wider market which could change in 10 years.

Thanks, then I will work on with that. With regards to my understanding - I have quite good understanding of most of the coins I think, but I tread very carefully with Morgans and China because there are so many different things to consider. But then I know I'm not going much wrong with my thinking :)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
If you are keeping them 10 years and asking for advice now. Anything you choose will be 'right'. We can't predict what will do best that far out. Sounds to me like you have a solid understanding of what you want to do. I would just stick to your plan. Also, on older pandas, I do the NCS+NGC on all coins, for $11 more its worth it for me. I doubt it is overkill! Getting the rarest is one of those propositions that is tricky. You can have something super rare, but not very liquid. At that point, its a personal preference and a judgement call on the coin. Your local market or personal taste will let you know.

Personally, I stay with the more common type of rare panda because as mentioned it has a wider market which could change in 10 years.

Thanks, then I will work on with that. With regards to my understanding - I have quite good understanding of most of the coins I think, but I tread very carefully with Morgans and China because there are so many different things to consider. But then I know I'm not going much wrong with my thinking :)

+1 to you two. Keep on thinking, trying your best and evolving in MCC numismatic issues!  N31
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline christians86

Thanks to the advice I here I hope I just placed a good order and the seller will accept my bid. I have tried to bid low to have something to go on, but I also get him having bought in better times. But I cut down on how much I buy now, with these and the others I have bought I have a bit much now. Lucky for me its within my budget, and this is much better spending of money than buying a new computer or camera...which I would have done had it not been for this :)

So thanks again everyone for their good advice :)

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Thanks to the advice I here I hope I just placed a good order and the seller will accept my bid. I have tried to bid low to have something to go on, but I also get him having bought in better times. But I cut down on how much I buy now, with these and the others I have bought I have a bit much now. Lucky for me its within my budget, and this is much better spending of money than buying a new computer or camera...which I would have done had it not been for this :)

So thanks again everyone for their good advice :)

Just imagine though, if you bought a new computer you could surf this website faster! If you had a better camera, you could take better pics of your coins! :)  Good luck and take some pics of the coins to share with us once you get them! I don't get to see too many silver coins!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
If you drop an intact 10-coin sheet of panda coins, a laptop and camera in a tub of water which one will emerge intact? The answer is obvious. These coins help prioritize and optimize expenditures. Their value increases with time compared to all these consumables. They nicely mop up discretionary funds!  :001_smile:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline christians86

Just imagine though, if you bought a new computer you could surf this website faster! If you had a better camera, you could take better pics of your coins! :)  Good luck and take some pics of the coins to share with us once you get them! I don't get to see too many silver coins!

Haha...I have a quite good camera already....I just get easily bored, especially when my employer puts me on a hotel for 1 year :P

Offline silberschatzimsee

Sorry offtopic but how much does a 1oz silverbullion costs in norway?

Offline christians86

Which of them? lunar, panda, philharmonic etc?

Offline mowi

• Supporter

https://www.goldsource.no/

A few examples.

Offline silberschatzimsee

ok thank you guys i just wanted to know for curiosity how much they charge there for an ounce of silver should i ever visit oslo again. (I was 7 years ago on svalbard for holiday)
The prices from the provided link are fairly pricey though N2 N16

Offline christians86

ok thank you guys i just wanted to know for curiosity how much they charge there for an ounce of silver should i ever visit oslo again. (I was 7 years ago on svalbard for holiday)
The prices from the provided link are fairly pricey though N2 N16

I know, but divide by USD at 8,4 and prices become less, but goldsource is expensive...they buy from Apmex to sell to Norwegian customers.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
I started collecting in 2014, as this was the last year for the Panda with oz, and 2015 had nothing, while 2016 was metric I figured I could buy some from each yer to grade.
I have the 1 oz gold for 2014-2016, and silver 1 oz from each year. I have come across a seller that sells 5 oz proof - feedback is 1700 + on Ebay and have sold a lot of different Chinese coins. His offer is slightly better than buying from Apmex -40 usd per coin or something compared to Apmex price.
I'm thinking that buying a sheet with 3 x 5 oz from 2014 - 2015 and 2016 and holding on to them is a good idea. But is it? I realize that I should have bought years before 2010 when the mintage was quite lower, but is the 2014-2016 years a bad idea?

In Norway were I live the prices are higher for pandas compared to US, so I usually buy and import because of it. The seller also have 2 1 oz 2001 small "D" - but looking in NGC price guide I'm confused as to how to spot the difference as they list three different varieties of the small D alone..

Thanks for the help.

There are collectors of 5 oz silver MCC and large silver in general.    When i started collecting about 5 yrs ago i wish i would have collected the large silver exclusively.     MCC were unpopular a few years ago and the bigs were melted first.   1/2 oz or 1 oz do not compare to big MCC.    The newbie collectors that hold bigs see the Wow factor.       However the larger the diameter the less chance of high grade so focus on 69 & 70 when possible.   Some 68 maybe all that is available.   For example the 1985 HK Expo 5 oz and 86 HK Expo 12 oz silver pandas in 69 are not seen in the market very often.   Early years are best as diameter was larger, where new issue are going to thick and small diameter.    12 oz are awesome as are kilos.     In my opinion, the best of Chinese is the bigs.........

Offline christians86

Just to follow up on this:

I decided for now the approach was to take those I like the best, but prioritize:

Lunar as the coincide with my lunar series 2 collection from Australia, and there is a limit as to how many copies of the 1 and 2 oz gold I can buy before its boring.

Unicorn which I like

and pandas proof/bu. However I keep my bidding low so to have a margin even though the market is a bit cooled down since 2011(?). And beside that I have simply bought a lot of 2014,2015 and 2016 1 oz pandas, also with the intent of storage for many years and then sell. I get the 2015 at same price as 2016 in one shop, so for now its not a loss for me even if I had to sell tomorrow. I pay aprox 24 USD per 2015, so compared to others it seems quite fair priced.
The panda 5 oz I get at double and not 4x spot as Apmex, so they are also for keeps.