Author Topic: 2-Coin Shenzhen and Shanghai Mint Panda Set at MCM  (Read 7044 times)

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: 2-Coin Shenzhen and Shanghai Mint Panda Set at MCM
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 09:23:30 PM »
Makes you wonder how many MS 69 they will try to sell next?

Offline saybia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »
I just checked their E Bay spot for the sets. They show that they have sold 11 sets and have over 150 sets still available. I don't know where the sold out story came from but they are still selling them on E Bay.

Russ

I was referring to their website.  They probably just "transferred" them all to ebay for the masses to buy.

Offline BubbaJones

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 10:30:44 PM »
I may be a newbie, but this thread is quite funny.  

I'm with Poconopenn!!  These guys are submitting based off of what?  Seriously?  That's nuts.  

And to think that MCM sucks in the suckers for 299.00 a set they could otherwise get for 25.00 per coin.  :w00t:

That's almost like bankers sucking us into NIRP, trying to get us to believe it is for our good.   N26

Geepers, Kreepers.  

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 01:31:48 AM »
Dang; I wish I was still a newbie. Would have bought that set without "overthinking"!  N27

I have my thinking hat back on!

I don't think it really matters what the numismatic merits are in this and similar cases. The ever present threat and reality of white spots makes owning silver more like living on the edge. And it doesn't seem to matter how old your silver coins are.

Not completely against silver but I am needing more convincing nowadays.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline BubbaJones

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 07:22:30 AM »
I agree.  Owning collectible silver is risky.  Very.  The high value stuff in the thousands. 

If one should buy a $3k silver collectible, and it was perfect, and then gets riddled with spots for some crazy reason.

How much is that silver collectible worth?  That's a lot of money down the drain, I suspect?

However, if one is playing the 'spot price' gamble, and spending a little more premium over spot, then I think it may be worth the gamble?

But I agree.  Spending thousands for a silver piece just doesn't make sense after what has been written about the WSOD. 

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
1: A coin has too be physically and repeatedly identifiable as distinct (e.g. SD Vs LD, error, double strike, etc) and in short supply to merit a differential increase in its numismatic premium. AFAIK.

2: Intact monster box or opened box? ?Original contents? Once you break a seal it is no more virgin territory!

3: Most importantly, each of Shanghai and Shenzhen mints is expected to produce several thousands to some millions of the proposed 8 million 30g silver panda coin mintage of this year. This means that we can potentially pair up hundreds of thousands of nondescript coins for the “special” NGC or another competing TPG slab!

Unless we can tell the coins apart, and one is in very short supply.

Hopefully, I am wrong?!

Offline Wafdawg

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »
This is one of the worst gimmicks I have seen yet.  MCM has a special relationship with NGC as they are located within close proximity of each other.  At this point I think that explains it.  I feel bad for the new buyers who dropped $300 on this.

Offline BubbaJones

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 03:56:21 PM »
Wafdawg - spot on right!  I feel bad for them too!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »
I am not NGC bashing but they have to watch the schemes they get into; damages credibility and not worth it!

Offline tater

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »
I am not NGC bashing but they have to watch the schemes they get into; damages credibility and not worth it!

+1

Offline madronya

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »
This sort of labeling is not new for Silver Eagles.  Both PCGS and NGC offered labels identifying Silver Eagles from the San Francisco mint if they received them in an unopened monster box,  as far back as 2011.  I don't think San Francisco minted silver eagles have much of a premium though.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2016, 07:11:47 PM »
Using ANY silly excuse to create hype and fake demand. Don't be fooled by these newer issue scams.
This is one of the worst gimmicks I have seen yet.  MCM has a special relationship with NGC as they are located within close proximity of each other.  At this point I think that explains it.  I feel bad for the new buyers who dropped $300 on this.

Right on !!!  MCM and NGC had been in collusion for many years. Now they come up with new scheme to steal your money.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »
This sort of labeling is not new for Silver Eagles.  Both PCGS and NGC offered labels identifying Silver Eagles from the San Francisco mint if they received them in an unopened monster box,  as far back as 2011.  I don't think San Francisco minted silver eagles have much of a premium though.

This is correct... The mint is a very imporant consideration for US coins, lets not forget that. Morgans, Peace, and Eagles. So it seems like they are trying to adapt it culturally you US folks since they are buying heavier now.

Offline wg

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 03:31:10 AM »
Right on !!!  MCM and NGC had been in collusion for many years. Now they come up with new scheme to steal your money.

NGC : Chairman Mark Salzberg

MCM : General Manager Andrew Salzberg (Sohn)

https://forum.silber.de/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18495&start=345#p605621