Author Topic: 2-Coin Shenzhen and Shanghai Mint Panda Set at MCM  (Read 6346 times)

Offline toonfan34

• Trade Count: (+1)
2-Coin Shenzhen and Shanghai Mint Panda Set at MCM
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
Something new in 2016 Pandas - Received this email today from Modern Coin Mart -

First-Ever Mint Location 2-Coin Panda Set
Certified by NGC with MCM's exclusive Panda label!

For the first time ever, silver Panda coins have been certified with the Chinese Mint location noted on the NGC label! Just as the U.S. Mint has multiple branches, the China Mint also produces coin in many different locations. Through the years, Silver Pandas have been struck at the Shenyang, Shenzhen, and Shanghai Mints. New 2016 Silver Pandas are struck at either the Shenzhen or Shanghai Mint.

Since the Pandas do not bear Mint marks, there has never been any way to discover their respective Mint location. That is, until now! One of our trained numismatists discovered a hidden label in the mint sealed boxes that disclosed the Mint location. Sealed boxes of these coins were immediately shipped to the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) where the boxes were opened and the coins certified by Mint.

These coins have been matched into 2-coin Mint sets and certified by NGC with the Early Releases designations. There are only 1,635 sets and no more can be created!

2016 marks the beginning of the use of the metric system for the Panda series, as these coins are now struck from 30 grams of .999 fine silver instead of the previous 1 troy oz weight. In accordance with the previous coins in the Panda series, this is a one-year-only design that will not be used again. In the People's Republic of China, each coin is legal tender for 10 Yuan.

With the demand for Silver Pandas drastically increasing in recent years, there has already been worldwide demand for this 2-coin set. 2016 will be an interesting year for collectors, as the mintage will remain at 8,000,000 in spite of the heavy increase of demand.

As a leader in the Numismatic industry, MCM is proud to offer these 2-coin Panda sets with our exclusive label. These coins are expected to sell-out quickly. Secure your sets before they are gone for good!
Buy Your 2-Coin Panda Sets NOW!
Get Social with MCM    A+ BBB Rating
ModernCoinMart
5260 Paylor Lane
Sarasota, Fl 34240, US    1.941.907.8050
moderncoinmart.com
Unsubscribe from this list.

Offline jedi2832

Re: 2-Coin Shenzhen and Shanghai Mint Panda Set at MCM
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
wow, i got the email too
$300...

Offline tater

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:31:11 PM »
I received that email also today.  I'm trying to decide if this is hype or if it has potential.

Offline saybia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:44:19 PM »
One of our trained numismatists discovered a hidden label in the mint sealed boxes that disclosed the Mint location.

?????????

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
My experience with NGC is that they are not easily swayed or convinced to make a designation on a coin unless they have significant documentation. I have had them contact retired mint employees to verify facts so I'll bet they have had the two mints verify that the secret labels exist and are the real deal. I'm more interested in seeing if they will grant variety status to the two different coins.

Russ

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
Has anyone noticed any differences between the two coins? If they were minted at two different sites it should be possible to demonstrate structural differences no matter how subtle. Interesting development.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:07:25 PM »
If you have a monster box open it up and look inside, you might just see a "made in Shanghai" sticker.. lol. Or its those trays those folks were talking about in the other thread... They can't tell from the coin, but they can tell from the tray!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
If you have a monster box open it up and look inside, you might just see a "made in Shanghai" sticker.. lol. Or its those trays those folks were talking about in the other thread... They can't tell from the coin, but they can tell from the tray!

If you can't tell the coins apart how can one distinguish between them and other coins once out of the slab?

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 11:50:12 PM »
 One of our trained numismatists discovered a hidden label in the mint sealed boxes that disclosed the Mint location. - you can't... it has to go in sealed mint boxes. So it seems like its for dealers only label for sure.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 03:29:33 PM »
Something new in 2016 Pandas - Received this email today from Modern Coin Mart -

First-Ever Mint Location 2-Coin Panda Set
Certified by NGC with MCM's exclusive Panda label!

For the first time ever, silver Panda coins have been certified with the Chinese Mint location noted on the NGC label! Just as the U.S. Mint has multiple branches, the China Mint also produces coin in many different locations. Through the years, Silver Pandas have been struck at the Shenyang, Shenzhen, and Shanghai Mints. New 2016 Silver Pandas are struck at either the Shenzhen or Shanghai Mint.

Since the Pandas do not bear Mint marks, there has never been any way to discover their respective Mint location. That is, until now! One of our trained numismatists discovered a hidden label in the mint sealed boxes that disclosed the Mint location. Sealed boxes of these coins were immediately shipped to the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) where the boxes were opened and the coins certified by Mint.

These coins have been matched into 2-coin Mint sets and certified by NGC with the Early Releases designations. There are only 1,635 sets and no more can be created!

2016 marks the beginning of the use of the metric system for the Panda series, as these coins are now struck from 30 grams of .999 fine silver instead of the previous 1 troy oz weight. In accordance with the previous coins in the Panda series, this is a one-year-only design that will not be used again. In the People's Republic of China, each coin is legal tender for 10 Yuan.

With the demand for Silver Pandas drastically increasing in recent years, there has already been worldwide demand for this 2-coin set. 2016 will be an interesting year for collectors, as the mintage will remain at 8,000,000 in spite of the heavy increase of demand.

As a leader in the Numismatic industry, MCM is proud to offer these 2-coin Panda sets with our exclusive label. These coins are expected to sell-out quickly. Secure your sets before they are gone for good!
Buy Your 2-Coin Panda Sets NOW!
Get Social with MCM    A+ BBB Rating
ModernCoinMart
5260 Paylor Lane
Sarasota, Fl 34240, US    1.941.907.8050
moderncoinmart.com
Unsubscribe from this list.

I agree with you poconopenn and I can say that I have lost a lot of confidence in NGC quality control as well as their sister company CGC. It’s been quite pathetic lately, especially on the CGC side …   

But I guess what you expect when Mark Salzberg is the chairman of NGC and his son Andrew is one of the high-level managers at Modern Coin Mart.

A bit of a Conflict of Interest if you ask me, NGC gets away with a lot of things that a publicly traded company would never let slide.

I won’t mention any names but I recently had a lengthy conversation with an ex-grader (final grader) at NGC and it was quite “eye opening” to say the least.   

It is amazed to know that NGC is authenticating the coin based on the mailing box now.

Can anyone receive the same treatment as MCM if he/she submit 2006 silver panda 10-coin sheet from Shanghai Mint and 15-coin wheel package from Shenzhen Mint for the label with Mint location? The 2006 silver panda had the same design from these two Mints.

Also, it has been known by most MCC collectors that 1985, 1986 and 1988 gold pandas were produced at Shanghai and Shenyang Mint with the same design, but can be easily identified by the differences in the sealed pouch. This is also true for some post-2000 gold pandas, same design but produced by different Mints and identifiable by sealed pouch easily.   

Offline saybia

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
...and they're gone!  Sold out.

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »
Using ANY silly excuse to create hype and fake demand. Don't be fooled by these newer issue scams.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:34 PM »
...and they're gone!  Sold out.

Dang; I wish I was still a newbie. Would have bought that set without "overthinking"!  N27

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Dang; I wish I was still a newbie. Would have bought that set without "overthinking"!  N27

I did that with their Morgan reissue. The 'missing years'.

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
I just checked their E Bay spot for the sets. They show that they have sold 11 sets and have over 150 sets still available. I don't know where the sold out story came from but they are still selling them on E Bay.

Russ