Author Topic: possible scam on ccf  (Read 6278 times)

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
possible scam on ccf
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:30:44 PM »
After receiving  another pm from "pandabear" requesting an deal after his thread was deleted I wanted to post some concerns about him.

He failed to write back in german.
He had twice the same typo in "danke shoen", in two different texts. No native speaker would write like that. Only somebody with an English education background.
In Germany noone needs to spend cash for medical treatments

I assume he used some translator to decipher my german text.

If my accusations are wrong I apologize myself here and now but its just not consistent enough to for me.

Cheers

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: possible scam on ccf
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 10:26:07 PM »
After receiving  another pm from "pandabear" requesting an deal after his thread was deleted I wanted to post some concerns about him.

He had twice the same typo in "danke shoen", in two different texts. No native speaker would write like that. Only somebody with an English education background.

If my accusations are wrong I apologize myself here and now but its just not consistent enough to for me.

Cheers

Perhaps this buttresses the need for strict adherence to the BST rules. It gives the forum members some time to get to know new members and decide on how to respond to potential sales pitches. This is even more important when it is realized that sales that happen on this forum are not insured against bad outcomes. Therefore there is always a chance that litigious individuals may decide to cause mayhem for some perceived or real misadventures related to selling or buying coins here. The only thing that protects all of us here is peer pressure but this can only work if new members go through this probation-type peer review process.

I don't know how the current incident will pan out, but these concerns are real. I don't know who pandabear is and his/her veracity. I am not making any accusations.

Finally, can one become a member of CCF for the sole purpose of selling coins? Or is buying and selling of coins incidental to membership of the forum? If the answer to the first question is yes I would suggest a separate registration process that involves confidential vetting (in camera) of the prospective sole-seller applicant by the forum leadership utilizing industry standard procedures. If accepted to sell their wares here such individuals should pay to the forum administration a recurring fee for the use of the facility. In that case they do not need to contribute to forum discussions. In fact they probably should not participate in such discussions because of real conflict of interest considerations.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Jens

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »
I just want to add that i also wrote to him in german and the answer i just got is also nowhere near what a native speaker would write.
On the bright side he says that he is accepting paypal so there would be some kind of protection, unless, as far as i know, you use paypal gift certificate.
I didn't get into details though, i decided not to buy anything.

Take Care
Jens

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
I returned medals to China once. It was a difficult process for both myself and the seller. Extra documents were needed. Some money had to be paid. However, in my case I had excellent business relationships with the seller and we shared the cost without malice. I hear the process is even worse for Germany. So the PayPal-eBay guarantee does not mean returning items from the USA to many other countries will be easy. I have bought some medals from Germany and I have not had to return any, so far.  N20

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the warning. I'm always weary of new sellers and understand that about myself, since I'm new here. There was an incident on another board I follow where several users got scammed by a new seller so thanks for the heads up. If i had done something like you did and warned others I could've saved a couple of people some money. They reached out to me later asking if I purchased and I said no, so I definitely think you're doing a service.

It is kinda funny that he failed to write german. :)

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:29:44 AM »
I have write him too in german, no answer, think he couldnt translate it. But like silberschatzimsee says, his german was very bad and he dont have a .de E-Mail Domain. 99% of germans are taken a .de-address (web.de/gmx.de/T-Online.de/yahoo.de)

Online Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:58 AM »
bought a 1995 1/20oz goldpanda, everything worked out fine.

Offline PandaBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »

Im glad you like it Boose and thanks for a smooth transaction. 

Offline PandaBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
After receiving  another pm from "pandabear" requesting an deal after his thread was deleted I wanted to post some concerns about him.

Cheers

I lived and worked for an American firm in Germany for a few years and my German is really bad as all my co-workers speaks English.  I never said I can speak perfect German.  Futhermore, yes medical is free.  Would you be happy with just Obamacare?  There is a good reason why the elites of America dont have Obamacare Health Coverage and THAT coverage is expensive since its premium care.  Although I can understand how you reached that conclusion and your fears about new sellers and buyers as the internet is rife with fraud.  I myself have got burnt online.  

@GoldenLord, It would be easy to get .de email address as one can also use a vpn, proxy, or ssh in.  Just saying...

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
I lived and worked for an American firm in Germany for a few years and my German is really bad as all my co-workers speaks English.  I never said I can speak perfect German.  Futhermore, yes medical is free.  Would you be happy with just Obamacare?  There is a good reason why the elites of America dont have Obamacare Health Coverage and THAT coverage is expensive since its premium care.  Although I can understand how you reached that conclusion and your fears about new sellers and buyers as the internet is rife with fraud.  I myself have got burnt online. 

@GoldenLord, It would be easy to get .de email address as one can also use a vpn, proxy, or ssh in.  Just saying...

PandaBear,

Glad you had the guts to stand up and post on your behalf to clarify some of the misunderstanding. It's so easy to jump to conclusion and presume someone's guilt.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »

Bosse68,

Kudos to you. +1

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 04:31:59 PM »
I lived and worked for an American firm in Germany for a few years and my German is really bad as all my co-workers speaks English.  I never said I can speak perfect German.  Futhermore, yes medical is free.  Would you be happy with just Obamacare?  There is a good reason why the elites of America dont have Obamacare Health Coverage and THAT coverage is expensive since its premium care.  Although I can understand how you reached that conclusion and your fears about new sellers and buyers as the internet is rife with fraud.  I myself have got burnt online. 

@GoldenLord, It would be easy to get .de email address as one can also use a vpn, proxy, or ssh in.  Just saying...

+1

Just to be fair to those members who pointed out the problem of your deleted BST thread and potential to be a scam at CCF, IMO, they did the right thing to make sure that CCF is the safe place for members to buy, sell and trade.

You arrived at CCF without introducing yourself and tried to sell immediately. Clearly, you did not read the rules and tries to make some meaningful contribution to CCF before you earn the right to sell at this forum.

Furthermore, you indicated that the selling those coins were for medical emergency. This happen to be the standard statement made by most scammers at eBay to attract the buyers. This type of sell pitch rises big red flag immediately for most buyers who had experience being scammed in the past.

I have not given anyone negative karma, except you, since the karma system started in later 2012. The negative karma was given to you as soon as I saw your BST thread, simply for the purpose to warm other members to be careful.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Ok then i apologize myself again for the faulty and wrong suspection. Not only to me it seemed really suspicious having such errors and inconsistencies.

Cheers

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:04:10 PM »
I want to add then there was a misunderstanding. I thought your friend was located in germany and not in usa which was a heavy problem in your story. In usa i know that health care is a big problem if you lack funds.

Sorry again for pointing u out as a potential scammer.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:56 AM »
There are already two points along the process where prospective sellers have the opportunity to see the BST rules especially about the current requirement for postings. Are they being missed? They look quite prominent to me.

Another option is to add a program to the forum software that prevents a user from posting in the BST section if their number of forum postings is below the stated level.

This is a continuing problem here in the forum. Some BST associated posts were deleted early this morning for contravening these same rules.