Author Topic: Fellow Numismatics  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Newbee

• Trade Count: (0)
Fellow Numismatics
« on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:54 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Numismatics.  I was a buyer of gold/silver bullion for the most part, then bought one 2013 silver panda to get free shipping from an on-line dealer.  From there, I started ordering the raw silver panda's and silver eagles coins each year.  About 6 months ago, I decided to start collecting panda's.  I purchased Peter Anthony's books on Panda coins and through Goggle found this forum.  I'm hoping to learn as much as possible about Numismatics from the collective experience of the folks in the forum. 

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: Fellow Numismatics
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:23:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Newbee.
If you are going to collect Pandas then you made the right move when you bought Peter's books. They are the best resource books on Pandas that there are. Good luck with your collection.

Russ

Offline Newbee

Re: Fellow Numismatics---Let the Games Begin!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
Thanks Russ!  You're absolutely right about Peter's books it's like taking an advance Chinese panda physics class N31!  I already made 1 purchase last week of a very nice gold panda and saved quite a bit of money on the purchase...talking about a huge ROI!  Plus, I subscribe to Peter's monthly China Pricepedia!  Game on!

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
What is the focus of your collection?
What types of Chinese coins are looking to purchase?
And what part of China are you from?

:biggrin:

Offline Newbee

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 02:03:53 PM »
Hi Mirkkanen'

Too early to say what my area of focus will be for my collection--that's a work in progress:blink:  I primarily want to purchase Chinese panda's, but as a novice I haven't decided a specific area of focus yet.  I have only purchased 1 gold panda graded NGC 70.  I'm thinking about starting a collection focused only on NGC 70's though :glare:  I admit I don't know enough to say if that's a wise direction or not.  I am a buy/hold long term collector.  I do plan on going to China to one of the major coin shows in the near future . 

Offline Vredaren

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 03:47:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of pandas - you've definitely arrived to the right forum!

I like the ambition of collecting NGC 70's, best of luck!

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
Welcome ms70.  It's a great idea for newer pandas, however some pandas from the 1980's and 1990's may be impossible to get so get the 70 while you see them but snatch up the 69 if there is a great deal.  You can always trade or sell them later when you find a 70 if any exist.  Welcome to the forum.  This place is filled with a world of knowledge and great great members.  Always ask question. These members have all learned from experience.  Welcome aboard.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:50 AM »
Welcome!

Panda coins and medals are an important subset of Modern Chinese Coins and Medals; meaning you can also collect non-Panda coins including the "cultural coins and medals". Even within the Panda subgroup you can collect all or varying combinations of gold, silver, platinum, copper, brass and other metal types.

Picking up gold coins as you go along is good. You may find it faster and more affordable to build up a 1oz silver Panda set, starting from 2016 and working backwards as far as you can afford as well as collecting prospectively. Beware of white spots on silver coins. Return them for a full refund if detected immediately on purchase.

It may not always be feasible to buy PF/MS70 coins and medals. PF/MS68-69 could be the best you can get at times depending on the metal and year of mintage. Heck PF67 could be the best grade possible for antique silver medals, for example. OMPs are a minefield so thread carefully!

Anyway, Good Luck and enjoy yourself. The CCF archives contain tons of useful material.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Newbee

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
Thanks KeepOnTrying!

Great information! I agree its not realistic to purchase "all" PF/MS 70 coins.  My strategy will include buying panda's of gold, silver, platinum, etc and possibly cultural coins.  I have not learned how to identify white spots or navigating the OMP minefield yet.  I'll stick with graded coins until I learn more about purchasing OMP's and white spots, red spots, etc.  :thumbup1: