Author Topic: Hello from Beijing  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Rainbird

• Trade Count: (0)
Hello from Beijing
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:20:12 AM »
Hi everyone, My name is Yiqiang. I used to work in Indy and San Francisco for few years and I moved back to Beijing in 2012.

I have the hobby of collecting things. When I was in US, I collected antique porcelains and now I am starting collecting coins. I'm living about 40 mins drive to Panjiayuan (antiques) and Madian (stamps, coins and paper money) market in the city. I spent a lots of weekends there and I found a lot of fun.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Hello from Beijing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Rainbird. I have been wondering if Beijing's air quality would have any effect on the coins exposed in the open for awhiel. Can you share with us your experience so far? Thanks.

Offline Rainbird

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Rainbird. I have been wondering if Beijing's air quality would have any effect on the coins exposed in the open for awhiel. Can you share with us your experience so far? Thanks.

The air quality is getting worse. However, I don't think it will have any short-term effects on the coins since the major components (N2 O2) of the air are always the same. pm2.5 is not corrosive.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
Welcome Rainbird. What sorts of coins and currency do you collect? There are also coin and antique stores at the Baoguo Temple, as I'm sure you know.
Many people have air purifiers in their homes. That is probably good for their collectibles, too.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »
The air quality is getting worse. However, I don't think it will have any short-term effects on the coins since the major components (N2 O2) of the air are always the same. pm2.5 is not corrosive.

I would disagree with this statement.  I have research this issue extensively and air pollution is the major cause of corrosion regardless if the coin is slabbed or not.  The MCC dealer Ding Feng in China distributes our products if your interested.

Also here is a write up regarding air pollution;

http://www.coinarmour.com/site/5a26a1e73b424c2590bcc9edae75b3c7/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoinarmour.com%2FOur_Products.html#2712

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
I would disagree with this statement.  I have research this issue extensively and air pollution is the major cause of corrosion regardless if the coin is slabbed or not.  The MCC dealer Ding Feng in China distributes our products if your interested.

http://www.coinarmour.com/site/5a26a1e73b424c2590bcc9edae75b3c7/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcoinarmour.com%2FOur_Products.html#2712

There is a "404 Page Not Found" Error Code on opening this URL. Please amend URL. Thanks.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:08:59 AM »
There is a "404 Page Not Found" Error Code on opening this URL. Please amend URL. Thanks.

I just tried the link and it works fine.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:36 AM »
The working url is the string at the end of 1668Chris' link, i.e.,

http://coinarmour.com/Our_Products.html#2712

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »

Major ingredient of China's air pollution is sulfur compound caused by coal firing power generator. Sulfur compound is known to be very bad for silver/copper coins.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
Major ingredient of China's air pollution is sulfur compound caused by coal firing power generator. Sulfur compound is known to be very bad for silver/copper coins.
Is it reasonable then to prefer Shanghai or non-Beijing based dealers when buying ungraded silver/copper coins from China?

Offline Rainbird

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 04:37:51 AM »
Welcome Rainbird. What sorts of coins and currency do you collect? There are also coin and antique stores at the Baoguo Temple, as I'm sure you know.
Many people have air purifiers in their homes. That is probably good for their collectibles, too.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

I collect gold and silver medals. Yes, Baoguo Temple is one of the major antique markets in Beijing. It has been remoulded recently, almost all stalls are gone. Fewer fake items, but much more expensive.

Offline Rainbird

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 04:54:26 AM »

I think the heavy industries in Hebei and car exhaust emission in the city would be the most important sources for the pollutions in Beijing. On the other side, they planted too many trees in Inner mongolia which prevents the wind from the north.