Poll

Which coins are correctly labelled? Thanks for voting!

Coins A and C
1 (33.3%)
Coins B and D
1 (33.3%)
I don't know!
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: December 14, 2015, 01:41:14 AM

Author Topic: 1984 Terracotta Army Silver Coin Label Mix Up  (Read 6443 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
1984 Terracotta Army Silver Coin Label Mix Up
« on: December 13, 2015, 01:41:14 AM »
Another NGC label mix up provides the opportunity for a light hearted test of elementary numismatics. Please look at the attached coins and identify the combination that is labelled correctly, then vote. Results will be available after 24 hours. I hope I got the combination right.

Spoiler Alert: PLEASE No Clues for 24 hours!!   N21

Vote before you refer to reference material.  :blink:

SANDAC and Birdman, please post the correct answer after voting ends.

Thanks!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
Re: 1984 Terracotta Army Silver Coin Label Mix Up
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:46:06 AM »
I am not a coin variety guru by any stretch of the imagination but aren't Coins A and C more of a frosted variety compared to B and D?  N20

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
Like many MCC, the Historical Figures have a gradual range of frostiness so it is hard to draw a line and decide which is frosty and which is mirror. 
There is a rare variety of coin A/B: the lack of a groove between the right arm and the background.  Normally you should see a grove running from below the right shoulder to right elbow separating the figure from the background.  A rare variety exists that does not have the groove.  It is not recognized by NGC/PCGS.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
I added a third answer "I don't know" to the poll.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »
Like many MCC, the Historical Figures have a gradual range of frostiness so it is hard to draw a line and decide which is frosty and which is mirror.  
There is a rare variety of coin A/B: the lack of a groove between the right arm and the background.  Normally you should see a grove running from below the right shoulder to right elbow separating the figure from the background.  A rare variety exists that does not have the groove.  It is not recognized by NGC/PCGS.

Thanks for info. I'll keep both sets as a great illustration of the phenomenon you just described. Another eureka moment blown to smithereens!  N17

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
Could be worse--see 3540648-001 to 3540648-004: every one of the 1987 Historical Figures 4-coin set is mislabeled.   :cursing:  At least yours are 50% correct.   ;)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
Could be worse--see 3540648-001 to 3540648-004: every one of the 1987 Historical Figures 4-coin set is mislabeled.   :cursing:  At least yours are 50% correct.   ;)

It's not just the mislabeling, there is also the reverse/obverse switch of which I have some examples. I am waiting for all my recent submissions to return before sending the mislabels and other mistakes back for correction. I shiver to think of how the coins are graded and if the grades depend on other determinants such as the moon phase, side of bed you get out of, seeing a "cat" cross the road and the general mood of the grader. Dare we ask?!!  :w00t:

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 01:23:16 PM »
It's not just the mislabeling, there is also the reverse/obverse switch of which I have some examples. I am waiting for all my recent submissions to return before sending the mislabels and other mistakes back for correction. I shiver to think of how the coins are graded and if the grades depend on other determinants such as the moon phase, side of bed you get out of, seeing a "cat" cross the road and the general mood of the grader. Dare we ask?!!  :w00t:

An example of an NGC reverse obverse switch: The 2013 Shanghai Ghetto Silver Medal.