Author Topic: Evolution of Coin Photography With Smartphones and other Handheld Tablet Devices  (Read 24440 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Summer Palace Gate medals Lake side; Silver and Antique Silver.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
Summer Palace Medals Lake side; Proof and Colored Brass.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
If you are serious about taking coin/medal pictures, you still have to use a DSLR. See my latest Lan Ting picture taken with Nikon.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
This is what the Mountain Resort Brass Proof looks like.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
You have a lot of lighting to do. The problem with using a hand held iPad is that you cannot adjust lighting accurately while viewing the object on the screen.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
You have a lot of lighting to do. The problem with using a hand held iPad is that you cannot adjust lighting accurately while viewing the object on the screen.

The iPad is currently placed on a stack of books to take photos and is not hand held. What is the exact type of light source that you used? LED, incandescent, fluorescent? This affects the color of the photo unless it is subsequently retouched. The color of the background also matters since that can absorb some of the light. I have an iPad mount inbound. That will help me try out various depth of field manipulations while keeping it steady and stable. I'll snap a few Lan Ting photos and upload late tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone have a handheld photo of the Lan Ting medal to post right now?

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
I think that one of the challenges in coin photography is to show all the details of a coin. In order to accomplish this the highlights should not be so bright that they burn out to pure white except, perhaps, for the tiniest specular areas. Likewise, the shadows should still hold detail and not descend into pure black. There needs to be a balance between low contrast to hold details and high enough contrast to make the image feel real, or alive. This can all be accomplished through careful lighting. Modern Chinese coins with their combination of proof-like surfaces and frosted areas can be problematic to light, but imo it is worth the effort to fully display their beauty.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
The iPad is currently placed on a stack of books to take photos and is not hand held. What is the exact type of light source that you used? LED, incandescent, fluorescent? This affects the color of the photo unless it is subsequently retouched. The color of the background also matters since that can absorb some of the light. I have an iPad mount inbound. That will help me try out various depth of field manipulations while keeping it steady and stable. I'll snap a few Lan Ting photos and upload late tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone have a handheld photo of the Lan Ting medal to post right now?
I used to use incandescent, as shown in the Mountain Resort brass proof. Now I have fully switched to LED, the cheap Ikea Jansjo LED lamps. They offer much better control of the size, direction, height, intensity and diffusion of the light source. The latest Lan Ting was taken with one LED with no diffusion, and another LED diffused.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
Here are the silver Lan Ting medal photos taken with the iPhone 6 plus and the iPad Air respectively. Interestingly the iPhone seems to have the better image quality. In fact I had to sharpen the iPad photo using computer software. I think the quality generally is good. Obviously not as good as can be achieved with expert use of the SLR. However, handhelds are an important part of the armamentarium of the coin collector. Furthermore, I believe image quality will continue to improve with each generation of handhelds.

iPhone photo first. I am thinking this is the best photo. Click the photo to get an expanded clearer image.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
Following is the iPad photo of the Lan Ting medal.

Edit: On second thoughts I don't think the iPad is that bad. It may be at par or marginally better than the iPhone photo. For one the Chinese scripts are better defined.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
One last photo of the Lan Ting silver medal using the iPhone and a clip on macro lens. Any improvement of image quality?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
You are lighting the medal in different ways. Different lighting has different effects. So there is no comparison between the iphone and iPad pictures.

The last one is simply blurry.

Offline dragonfan

• Trade Count: (0)
high resolution or nothing, soon 2016 :)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
One of the Shanghai Mint Four Beauties of Ancient China medals as seen with the iPhone 6 plus.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
A close up view of an Ancient China Beauties Medal.