Author Topic: Plz help me to identify this chinese dynasty coin  (Read 12991 times)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Plz help me to identify this chinese dynasty coin
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 12:22:25 AM »
Poconpenn, I am honored that you would ask my opinion. Currently the most useful reference outside of China is "Chinese Cast Currency" by David Hartill. It is very well organized with illustrations and rarity guide. It also contains an excellent finding chart of "nien hao" reign titles organized by number of brush strokes. I believe the book is available from Scott Semans at coincoin.com. I think you would find it very helpful in mastering attributions of ancient Chinese cash. Attributions aside, IMHO I'm afraid all these pieces are not genuine.

Thank you for the advice. I ordered David's book today. My two reference books (Arthur Braddan Coole 1961 Ed.and Mr. Ma, 1991 Ed.) may be out of date. I was really surprised the value of some cash coins in the recent auctions inside China. Glad to have an expert of cash coin in this forum.

Offline Bearcat

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Plz help me to identify this chinese dynasty coin
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
While I don't consider myself an "expert', I'm happy to share what knowledge I have when I can. Yes, some of the Chinese cash coin prices have really taken off the last couple of years. There have been several major Chinese ancient coin collections sold in the US by Stephen Album Rare Company in the past year. There will be another very important collection auctioned in mid January, 2016.