Author Topic: 2016 lunar series (monkey) will be issued on 10/16/2015  (Read 8771 times)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
2016 lunar series (monkey) will be issued on 10/16/2015
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:31:20 PM »
2016 lunar series will be issued on 10/16/2015. There are total 17 coins in the series.

Gold coins:

Two 50 Yuan (1/10 oz.), nature and colored rounds, planned mintage 120,000.

150 Yuan (1/3 oz.), fan-shaped, planned mintage 30,000.

200 Yuan (1/2 oz.), flower-shaped, planned mintage 8,000.

Two 2,000 Yuan (5 oz.), rectangular, planned mintage 2,000; round colored, planned mintage 3,000.

5,000 Yuan (500 gm), round nature color, planned mintage 2,000.

10,000 Yuan (1 kg.), flower nature color, planned mintage 118.

20,000 Yuan (2 kg.), round nature color, planned mintage 100.

100,000 Yuan (10 kg), round nature color, planned mintage 10.

Silver coins:

Four 10 Yuan (1 oz.), nature round, planned mintage 200,000; colored round, planned mintage 220,000; fan-shaped, planned mintage 80,000; flower-shaped, planned mintage 60,000.

Two 50 Yuan (5 oz.), rectangular, planned mintage 20,000; colored round, planned mintage 30,000.

300 Yuan (1 kg.), nature round, planned mintage 10,000.

All gold and silver round-shaped coins have the same reverse design.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
Re: 2016 lunar series (monkey) will be issued on 10/16/2015
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:37:48 PM »
More pictures.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »
More pictures.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:29 PM »
More pictures.

Offline ChinaClipper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:44:04 AM »
I was out buying some mixing equipment for a factory I am consulting with and swung by the BOC (Bank of China today) after  they called and said could get a couple sets of the 2016  lunar coins for me.

These things are pricey over here in China (due to the low mintage) and very hard to get over here because everyone wants them (high domestic Chinese demand and low mintage for some of the coins). They could not get any of the 5 ounce gold rectangles because they only minted a few thousand, or flowers etc.  for me. The factional ounce rounds are unavaliable too at the bank even though are much higher mintage  because they are cheap, and everyone is trying to get them (and did). heh.

The sweet spot was the fans.....I was able to get two sets  of the fans. Each set has one of the  1/3 oz gold fans and  one of the 1 oz silver fans. Apparently that was the sweet spot between mintage amount  and price

These sets are going for an extreme premium over melt value (6288 rmb per set) which is about $984.24 (US dollars ) each. Wow that's about 3 x melt value. Holy crap batman!

I may have more money than common sense and not be a very good Chinese coin collector since I'm a relative novice at this but based on my recent experience with the WWII 70th anniversary commemorative set this year (ordered a 1/4 oz gold and a 1 oz silver coin  for 3800 rmb and was told by someone on this forum they now are going for 8000 rmb a few months later) I bit the bullet and ordered 2 sets of the 2016 monkey fans. They could only find 2 sets for me so I ordered them both. Am I an idiot for doing that? heh.

They will arrive next month. I will post some photos when they come dancing into the bank.

I'm going to be weighed down and clanking going through US customs next year with these 2 monkey sets, the WWII set and the two 5 coin gold panda sets.

US customs gave me a good close look and going over last year with the gold panda sets and silver pandas and cash ;)

Which begs the question...How do you declare the value of Chinese gold coins at US customs? Unlike gold bullion (which is not considered a monetary instrument) gold coins count toward the 10K USD threshold for filling out the FINCIN 105 form which I never fill out because it's no ones business but mine,  so I stay below 10K USD so it doesn't get confiscated by Mr. grabby hands McCustoms guy.

Now, does one declare what you paid for the coin? (I did that last year and had receipts to verify it).....

Or do you declare the melt value of the metal........(I like that better).

Or do you declare the RMB value marked on the coin (I like that option the best if it's allowed).  ;)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 08:55:59 PM »
Very hard to get because everyone wants them.   Could not get any of the 5 oz gold rectangles because they only minted a few thousand....plus you mentioned the price increase ...                                                                                               When will the Chinese buyers discover early year and rare MCC?.....

Offline ChinaClipper

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »
Very hard to get because everyone wants them.   Could not get any of the 5 oz gold rectangles because they only minted a few thousand....plus you mentioned the price increase ...                                                                                               When will the Chinese buyers discover early year and rare MCC?.....

Oh the Chinese buyers know about the early year and rare MCC's. They have them and sit on them. Once they obtain them (usually when issued), No one wants to sell those. These guys and gals grab this stuff up when it comes out and Hold it long term. They loathe to part with  them at any price.

Chinese people are savers by nature. It's ingrained in the culture. They save, invest 1/3rd to 1/2 of what they make (even though on average it's a lot less than the average US salary).

They look at the long term. I was discussing the lunar coins with some Chinese guys and they were of the opinion that when they get all 12 animals in the series, the complete series will be valued at magnitudes more than the sum of the individual coins. I think they are correct.

There are 2 opinions on the CHinese buyers and the older and rare MCC's . Opimion 1 is that if someone had a lot of rare and or early MCC's they could make a killing selling those. MAybe. I think some rich clientele would buy them but the regular middle class Chinese person would not. Because Chinese buyers are frugal, they pinch a penny until it screams. So they grab these coins when issued out and would not want to pay a premium for an older coin.

I will give you an example of how "tight" and frugal Chinese people are. In China if you leave a room (for even 5 minutes), they turn off the light to 'save" electricity. It drives me  nuts.  My Chinese mother in law would save the rinse water from rinsing the dishes after they were washed. She would put soap in it next time to "wash" the dishes. Then she would take that, put it through a screen to filter out the food particles, add some floor cleaning products to it and use it to mop the floor. She wasn't done yet either.....if you threw that out you got reamed for wasting water. You needed to use that to flush the toilet. SO she used the same water 4 times. Kinda cool and efficient huh?

She uses saran wrap over again. When she has a piece covering food and eats all all the food she had covered up, she turns the Saran wrap over and recovers the next dish. I kid you not. That is why I don't think the average Chinese person would pay a premium for a coin, they are too frugal and forward thinking and will instead buy the coins as issued IMHO.

It's the same deal with the stamps. My wife has books with reams of Chinese stamps they don't even issue anymore. These things are decades old and very valuable now.

She also has a lot of Chinese paper money (they have changed the design numerous times). When they came out with a new design she would go to the bank and get stacks of new bills in the old design whenever they changed the designs and just hold onto them.

They just changed the 100 RMB note and the 10 recently. I want to get some stacks of those from the bank (new notes) and hold them before they all go out of circulation and get destroyed.

Funny thing is, the new `100's have all these features incorporated to make them difficult to counterfit and as of last week the bank machines (which only dispense 100's) would not take them (they spit them back out as bogus bills) so they are tweaking the bank machines now.

It's never a dull moment in China. :)

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
I believe we need to be careful in categorizing an entire population.  If you talked to some of the older generation that went through the Great Depression, they did similar "saving".

My 1.5 cents; not quite 2 cents.

Offline ChinaClipper

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:59 PM »
Yep I agree, about generalizing concerning a population. I'm frugal too (and gotten moreso over the years)  and really learned how to save after coming to China.

Yep my parents were born in the great depression so they were very similar in some ways.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 06:50:37 AM »
Thanks again for the information and I understand frugal.    So the average Chinese buy/hold long term and do not flip.    The varieties or rare MCC in China will probably be stashed or saved away for many years so that information will be unknown.    The people may buy the lowest price MCC but at some point investment capitol has got to come into MCC from wealthy, corporations, etc......   The early years i was told are hard to find in China/Asia.   Basically what you see are new issue that sell quick.    The early or rare issue w/ Chinese dealers are too expensive for the people as they have not caught the collector bug yet.    Wonder when/if the Chinese buyers will ever become collectors?.......

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »
One thing I noticed when I lived in Southeast Asia (>16 years ago) was that there was less pressure on people to spend money; you did not get much if any direct mail marketing, free credit card offers Etc. I know we can't generalize and that things may have changed since I was there last but I would like to believe that there is an inherent cultural drive to manage your money more responsibly and save for the rainy day. Not that people don't save in the West but they have to contend with an aggressive sophisticated system built around a relentless scheme to separate you from your hard earned money!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 04:45:57 PM »
I was out buying some mixing equipment for a factory I am consulting with and swung by the BOC (Bank of China today) after  they called and said could get a couple sets of the 2016  lunar coins for me.

These things are pricey over here in China (due to the low mintage) and very hard to get over here because everyone wants them (high domestic Chinese demand and low mintage for some of the coins). They could not get any of the 5 ounce gold rectangles because they only minted a few thousand, or flowers etc.  for me. The factional ounce rounds are unavaliable too at the bank even though are much higher mintage  because they are cheap, and everyone is trying to get them (and did). heh.

The sweet spot was the fans.....I was able to get two sets  of the fans. Each set has one of the  1/3 oz gold fans and  one of the 1 oz silver fans. Apparently that was the sweet spot between mintage amount  and price

These sets are going for an extreme premium over melt value (6288 rmb per set) which is about $984.24 (US dollars ) each. Wow that's about 3 x melt value. Holy crap batman!

I may have more money than common sense and not be a very good Chinese coin collector since I'm a relative novice at this but based on my recent experience with the WWII 70th anniversary commemorative set this year (ordered a 1/4 oz gold and a 1 oz silver coin  for 3800 rmb and was told by someone on this forum they now are going for 8000 rmb a few months later) I bit the bullet and ordered 2 sets of the 2016 monkey fans. They could only find 2 sets for me so I ordered them both. Am I an idiot for doing that? heh.

They will arrive next month. I will post some photos when they come dancing into the bank.

Your connection to your Chinese banker may be in trouble. The current price for fan 2016 lunar monkey gold and silver set is about RMB 4,900.

http://bbs.jibi.net/dispbbs.asp?boardid=58&Id=274205

Offline ChinaClipper

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Poconopenn on the Monkey Pricing. I thought that was kinda steep (6000 +). I will check that out in greater detail. I'm showing that link you provided to the bank guy, I will let you know what happens.

Offline ChinaClipper

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
Howdy Poconopenn,

I speak a little pu tong hua (mandarin) but my reading skills, other than city names and some road signs are next to none.

I showed that link to my wife who translated it and it says (on the same line item in the link) that the 1/3 ounce gold fans were 4900 rmb and the silver 1 ounce fan was 1000 rmb. So that's  a total of 5900 rmb for both. The 6288 rmb I paid (for 1 set, of a 1/3 oz gold and 1 oz silver fan) is about 388 rmb higher (about 60 dollars US) for the set of both. So while it's a premium that is not too bad.

Thanks for cluing me into that though. I'll get some pix up when it comes in.

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:40:07 AM »
Howdy Poconopenn,

I speak a little pu tong hua (mandarin) but my reading skills, other than city names and some road signs are next to none.

I showed that link to my wife who translated it and it says (on the same line item in the link) that the 1/3 ounce gold fans were 4900 rmb and the silver 1 ounce fan was 1000 rmb. So that's  a total of 5900 rmb for both. The 6288 rmb I paid (for 1 set, of a 1/3 oz gold and 1 oz silver fan) is about 388 rmb higher (about 60 dollars US) for the set of both. So while it's a premium that is not too bad.

:w00t:   :crying:

924 euro

only one sold ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-Drachen-Set-in-Facherform-in-Gold-und-Silber-10-und-150-Yuan-2012-PP-/261662047918?hash=item3cec45feae:g:JA8AAOSwuMFUZhdq

Offline ChinaClipper

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:11 AM »
I should have bought it on ebay, live and learn.  :laugh:

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Howdy Poconopenn,

I showed that link to my wife who translated it and it says (on the same line item in the link) that the 1/3 ounce gold fans were 4900 rmb and the silver 1 ounce fan was 1000 rmb. So that's  a total of 5900 rmb for both. The 6288 rmb I paid (for 1 set, of a 1/3 oz gold and 1 oz silver fan) is about 388 rmb higher (about 60 dollars US) for the set of both. So while it's a premium that is not too bad.

扇金银猴;4900,银;1000

扇金银猴:  扇=Fan; 金=Gold; 银=Silver; 猴=Monkey

According to China Gold Coin Inc., no small size gold lunar coin is sold as individual coin, but in the gold & silver set. This was the way to issue the small size lunar gold coins after 2006 and most likely will be in the future.

Current price for 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 fan gold & silver set in the market place.

2015 (goat): RMB 4200

2014 (horse): RMB 5500

2013 (snake): RMB 5280

2012 (dragon): RMB 6500

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 03:07:38 AM »

5 pieces colour 898

Offline allgeekspcstore

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:19 PM »
love these funky shaped monkeys. Real nice.

Offline Rainbird

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 04:16:05 AM »
I was out buying some mixing equipment for a factory I am consulting with and swung by the BOC (Bank of China today) after  they called and said could get a couple sets of the 2016  lunar coins for me.

These things are pricey over here in China (due to the low mintage) and very hard to get over here because everyone wants them (high domestic Chinese demand and low mintage for some of the coins). They could not get any of the 5 ounce gold rectangles because they only minted a few thousand, or flowers etc.  for me. The factional ounce rounds are unavaliable too at the bank even though are much higher mintage  because they are cheap, and everyone is trying to get them (and did). heh.

The sweet spot was the fans.....I was able to get two sets  of the fans. Each set has one of the  1/3 oz gold fans and  one of the 1 oz silver fans. Apparently that was the sweet spot between mintage amount  and price

I may have more money than common sense and not be a very good Chinese coin collector since I'm a relative novice at this but based on my recent experience with the WWII 70th anniversary commemorative set this year (ordered a 1/4 oz gold and a 1 oz silver coin  for 3800 rmb and was told by someone on this forum they now are going for 8000 rmb a few months later) I bit the bullet and ordered 2 sets of the 2016 monkey fans. They could only find 2 sets for me so I ordered them both. Am I an idiot for doing that? heh.

I'm going to be weighed down and clanking going through US customs next year with these 2 monkey sets, the WWII set and the two 5 coin gold panda sets.

US customs gave me a good close look and going over last year with the gold panda sets and silver pandas and cash ;)

Which begs the question...How do you declare the value of Chinese gold coins at US customs? Unlike gold bullion (which is not considered a monetary instrument) gold coins count toward the 10K USD threshold for filling out the FINCIN 105 form which I never fill out because it's no ones business but mine,  so I stay below 10K USD so it doesn't get confiscated by Mr. grabby hands McCustoms guy.

Now, does one declare what you paid for the coin? (I did that last year and had receipts to verify it).....

Or do you declare the melt value of the metal........(I like that better).

Or do you declare the RMB value marked on the coin (I like that option the best if it's allowed).  ;)

Let me know if you are interested in the 5oz gold. I deal with them.