Author Topic: Hello from Sweden  (Read 8382 times)

Online Agpanda

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
    • agpandas
Hello from Sweden
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:47:10 AM »
Hi all,

I have been a member here just over 1 year now, so i thought it was time to say someting.
I`m 47 years old with 7 kids, living about 120km north of gothenburg.
started stacking 18 monts ago, and soon fall in the pit called collecting.
About 1 year ago, i started with silver pandas.
Now i`m in for gold 1/4oz as well.

Thanks for having me
Bosse

Offline trozau

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Hello from Sweden
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Welcome to the panda insanity. Now is the perfect time to start. China Panda coins are going metric starting 2016. Silver will be 30 grams and 1/4 gold will be 8 grams. Rather than chasing high premium Troy ounce issues from 1982 - 2015, just start from the metric 2016 and go forward.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Hi all,

I have been a member here just over 1 year now, so i thought it was time to say someting.

Thanks for having me
Bosse

Welcome to the forum, Bosse. Yeah it's the usual story; coin collection is a very interesting and entertaining hobby that takes all your excess energies and channels it into this "safe" avenue. A bit compulsive too! I like collecting everything Panda (coins and medals) and other MCCM. Hope you have a nice time here. Feel free to post whatever interests you or any questions. There are many helpful forum members ready to guide you in the open forum or by PM.

Best of wishes.
KOT!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:13:39 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for having me
Bosse

Welcome, Bosse  :thumbup:

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »
Welcome Bosse, great people and great info on this forum.  The  worst question is the one that you don't ask.  Good luck stacking and collecting.  Anytime you are looking for something just ask these people they are great. 

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
Welcome Bosse
                      There are not a large number of 1/4 oz. gold Panda collectors on this forum so it's good to be joined by another collector of the " stepchild " coin.

Russ

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 09:18:06 PM »
Welcome Bosse
                      There are not a large number of 1/4 oz. gold Panda collectors on this forum so it's good to be joined by another collector of the " stepchild " coin.

Russ

Hi Russ, I found your use of the word "stepchild" to describe the 1/4 oz gold panda intriguing. Mainly because I am relatively new to MCC collection and still learning to recognize nuances in this hobby. I think I got the hang of the 1, 1/2 and 1/10 oz gold coin collection/investing strategy but the 1/4 coin still escapes me. I'll appreciate if you could shed more light on the 1/4 oz panda gold coin collection strategy, at least your take on it. Thanks a lot.

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:42:17 AM »
Hi KOT,
           I used that term because, IMO, the 1/4 oz. Panda is under collected as a set. As for my investment strategy for collecting 1/4s over other sizes, I don't have one. I started collecting S10Y Pandas. As I started finishing those sets I wanted to move up to gold. 1 oz. and 1/2 oz. would push my coin budget at the time and the little guys were too small for me to look at without strain. The 1/4s were the logical step for me. At the time, the 1/4s were even more overlooked than they are now so I was able to build a decent set without breaking the bank. I am a pure collector when it comes to coins and medals. I build sets and put them away. I never sell except for duplicates on a rare occasion. So, as you can see, I'm a poor person to ask about the investment potential of 1/4 oz. I do assume that they, along with all of the other MCC will be worth more in the future than they are now. I just don't plan on being the one to cash them in.

Russ

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 05:05:46 AM »
Hi KOT,
           I used that term because, IMO, the 1/4 oz. Panda is under collected as a set. As for my investment strategy for collecting 1/4s over other sizes, I don't have one. I started collecting S10Y Pandas. As I started finishing those sets I wanted to move up to gold. 1 oz. and 1/2 oz. would push my coin budget at the time and the little guys were too small for me to look at without strain. The 1/4s were the logical step for me. At the time, the 1/4s were even more overlooked than they are now so I was able to build a decent set without breaking the bank. I am a pure collector when it comes to coins and medals. I build sets and put them away. I never sell except for duplicates on a rare occasion. So, as you can see, I'm a poor person to ask about the investment potential of 1/4 oz. I do assume that they, along with all of the other MCC will be worth more in the future than they are now. I just don't plan on being the one to cash them in.

Russ

Thanks for your response which answered all my questions. The collection potential is what I was mainly interested in. The 1/2 oz coin weight for weight is probably the most expensive to collect now. I am slowly building up some gold sets but vacillating between the 1/4 and 1/10 oz coins with respect to which to accelerate as fractional gold coins are probably going to get even more expensive the further we move away from their mint date. Have a great day!

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Just for information.

Total actual mintage of different size gold pandas from 1982 to 2006, based on the book issued by PBOC.

1 oz.: 1,462,232
½ oz.: 980,083
¼ oz.: 1,324,376
1/10 oz.: 2,068,263
1/20 oz.: 3,424,290

In earlier years, many small size gold pandas were used for ring and pendant. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_from=R40&_trksid=p2065413.m570.l1311.R10.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xgold%20panda.TRS0&_nkw=gold%20panda%20coin%20pendant

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gold+panda+coin+pendant&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R5.TR11.TRC2.A0.H1.Xgold+panda+coin+.TRS1&_nkw=gold+panda+coin+ring&_sacat=0

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Just for information.

Total actual mintage of different size gold pandas from 1982 to 2006, based on the book issued by PBOC.

1 oz.: 1,462,232
½ oz.: 980,083
¼ oz.: 1,324,376
1/10 oz.: 2,068,263
1/20 oz.: 3,424,290

In earlier years, many small size gold pandas were used for ring and pendant. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_from=R40&_trksid=p2065413.m570.l1311.R10.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xgold%20panda.TRS0&_nkw=gold%20panda%20coin%20pendant

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gold+panda+coin+pendant&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1311.R5.TR11.TRC2.A0.H1.Xgold+panda+coin+.TRS1&_nkw=gold+panda+coin+ring&_sacat=0

Once more this shows the numerical basis for the 1/2 oz gold coin being the key. Interestingly the 1/4 oz coin is next in line as the least common fractional gold coin. Finally, I get the impression that the 1/20 oz coin sells slowest and with the highest premium over spot.

Offline mowi

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 05:36:28 PM »
Hej igen Bosse, varmt välkommen till CCF.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
Welcome Bosse

Russ

Well Russ , I just started my 1/4 oz if you have any unwanted step children feel free to pm me:)   ,I got thru the 1/10 oz ( have not taken the time for registry yet:)   I then started the 1/20 and got about 1/3 of the way thru and decided they where just too small to see :)  cute though  , the 1/2 oz have really gotten a little "bubbly" in price and I either have missed the boat on them or I wait for a little price easing..so the 1/4,s I am rapidly getting attached too..............

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »
Well Russ , I just started my 1/4 oz if you have any unwanted step children feel free to pm me:)   ,I got thru the 1/10 oz ( have not taken the time for registry yet:)   I then started the 1/20 and got about 1/3 of the way thru and decided they where just too small to see :)  cute though  , the 1/2 oz have really gotten a little "bubbly" in price and I either have missed the boat on them or I wait for a little price easing..so the 1/4,s I am rapidly getting attached too..............

You never know, these "step children" might start getting snooty, sometime in future, and look down on other fractionals, given their new found fame!  ;)

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 08:45:27 AM »
Hi JC88888etal,
                       Welcome to 1/4 oz. club. It's always good to hear that a new collector has gotten the "bug". As for spare "stepchildren", as I mentioned in an earlier post, I seldom sell any coins or medals. If you get stuck on a coin, you are free to PM me and see if I have multiples but please don't look to me for large numbers of coins. As I said, I'm a collector and I guess I could be called a stacker too.

Russ