Author Topic: Possible Fake 1998 Silver Large Date on Ebay?  (Read 6558 times)

Offline PandaNoob

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Possible Fake 1998 Silver Large Date on Ebay?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 10:32:44 AM »
80 % of all non graded coins on e bay are fakes  so when a good coin comes up in omp and is for sure genuine it gets lots of bidders..

Yes that makes sense. Now I'm just kicking myself for letting it slip by. Jc888... I've seen the same screen name selling a bit on eBay. I'm assuming it's the same. Hopefully we can do business some time in the future. Cheers!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 10:39:38 AM »
yes sir 

Offline digbird

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »
80 % of all non graded coins on e bay are fakes  so when a good coin comes up in omp and is for sure genuine it gets lots of bidders..

80% fakes? Seems a little high jc.

Regardless, time for ebay to appoint a coin czar or a professional to get rid of these thieves that are hurting our hobby/investments. As of now they don't have a knowledgeable person overseeing this problem other than reporting the items, which only works to a minor degree. Need a shill bidder preventer system as well. They are just too lax in these departments.     

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
Mr dig bird  I agree about ebay doing nothing    honestly in my opinion  80 % is not accurate it is more than 90% in OMP   ,Just  go to e bay  catagory  prc 1949-now     type panda  if you can find five out of 100 in omp that are genuine I would be surprised  ,I am not Chinese bashing ,but except  for 3 or 4 established reputable sellers from China and we all know who they are   ,every low feedback seller from china is selling exclusively fakes! their are 100,s upon hundreds of fake omp panda,s on ebay right now maybe more than 1000!!!!  I go to a page view on e bay with 25 listings on it and 20 are fake! buyer beware

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Mr dig bird  I agree about ebay doing nothing    honestly in my opinion  80 % is not accurate it is more than 90% in OMP   ,Just  go to e bay  catagory  prc 1949-now     type panda  if you can find five out of 100 in omp that are genuine I would be surprised  ,I am not Chinese bashing ,but except  for 3 or 4 established reputable sellers from China and we all know who they are   ,every low feedback seller from china is selling exclusively fakes! their are 100,s upon hundreds of fake omp panda,s on ebay right now maybe more than 1000!!!!  I go to a page view on e bay with 25 listings on it and 20 are fake! buyer beware

The overabundance of fakes also makes it difficult to research coins especially silver panda coins. You have to go through a whole lot of garbage before pulling up one or two real coins. At times I add pf or ms to see if that can eliminate the fakes but that means I can only access slabbed coins and not OMP coins. Frustrating. Hopefully, we will get an eBay alternative one of these days!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaNoob

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
The overabundance of fakes also makes it difficult to research coins especially silver panda coins. You have to go through a whole lot of garbage before pulling up one or two real coins. At times I add pf or ms to see if that can eliminate the fakes but that means I can only access slabbed coins and not OMP coins. Frustrating. Hopefully, we will get an eBay alternative one of these days!

I agree 100%. Especially as a new collector, it is not easy to tell the difference between a fake and a variant of a real coin (see discussion/photos) above.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
I agree 100%. Especially as a new collector, it is not easy to tell the difference between a fake and a variant of a real coin (see discussion/photos) above.

The experts can tell just by their looks but not me (yet). They also know many of the variants and even minting history as demonstrated in the conversations above together with the illustrations. Fakes tend to be priced much cheaper than the real coins. They are also made of alloys.

My concern is when they start using .999 silver for making the fake coins. That will remove the current use of weight to distinguish between the fakes and the real thing. The general advice is to buy slabbed coins unless you are buying from one of the recognized sellers or dealers. Which still doesn't mean you shouldn't check out the OMP coin immediately or send to NGC/PCGS for evaluation and grading. If the coin turns out fake you will still remember whom you bought it from and arrange for its return.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
Another helpful hint is the learn the seal patterns on the OMP packaging ,Peter Anthony,s panda book has some very helpful pictures the forgers have not yet been able to duplicate this packaging or they just haven't bothered to try..... also I will reiterate these sellers are low feedback Chinese sellers who,s feedback gets lower as time goes on and people discover they have been duped, also anyone who is selling just omp panda,s from older years   and constantly has dozens listed should be a red flag..look at some of the biggest reputable dealers inventories they have hardly have none for sale ?? clue ?? yes they are becoming rare finally when in doubt post here or just graded