Author Topic: mini test  (Read 54418 times)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: mini test
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
Nobody forced the seller to sell, he's a grown man and it was his decision ... I'm sure if he could have gotten a better price somewhere else then he would have done so but he didn't.

As far as I'm concerned jc88 did the seller a favor, he had coins to sell and jc88 obliged him with buying the coins.   

End of story

oh and by the way ... very nice coins in this thread guys, thanks for posting !  :thumbup:

Thanks my good friend!  Hows the family?  hope everyone is well !!   the boy has to be getting big!!

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2015, 07:44:21 PM »
Thanks my good friend!  Hows the family?  hope everyone is well !!   the boy has to be getting big!!

Hey JC ! Yea all is good here for sure and thanks for asking ... I hope all is well on your end too ! Things in the oilfield are tanking but fortunately I'm about to retire and have done well in the last 35 years. My son is now 4 and it's crazy how time flies and how fast they grow ! I wish he could stay 4 forever as it's such a fun age ... He just started Pre-K

sorry to derail the thread, this forum needs a section for "random - post whatever" discussion as a few of the other forums I'm on they have this and it promotes camaraderie & unity as people get to know each other better. 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2015, 07:51:14 PM »
:):)  kids are great!! cherish it!!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2015, 05:11:50 PM »
This situation might be a useful lesson regarding the lack of liquidity for the medals.  If you need to sell them quickly, it may be tough to find a buyer, especially if they are ungraded and are part of a series that is known for condition problems (1988 New Orleans).  If the owner was trying to sell problem-free examples of BU gold pandas of the main series, he would have probably had multiple offers from different dealers (I am assuming that this was at the Long Beach Show?).

On the flip side, if you are a very patient collector, you might be able to find a rare medal at a good price, and you may be able to make a good profit if you hold it until (when/if) the market better appreciates the rarity/beauty of that medal.  But you need to be willing to tie up $ in an uncertain venture.  jc88888888 is taking a calculated risk, tying up $5K+ of cash.  If he gets a high score on the NGC submission for a few coins, and if people start liking scarce medals more, he may have a good investment.  There are some ifs there, however.  There are risks on both sides.

It therefore follows that the "mintage trap" phenomenon does not just affect only new low mintage coins and medals as previously discussed in this forum. It can also be at play when buying or selling older low mintage coins and medals, especially the medals. Where there is a small collector base efficiency of transactions can be impaired as not many people will be interested in particular items. But does this always hold in every case, whether new or old (medal)?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2015, 06:27:21 PM »
 Keep on trying I agree with what you said old versus new there might not be too much of a distinction but that being said  I like the risk reward of buying these my floor is whatever an ounce of gold is worth whereas when you buy let's just say for instance a 2 ounce silver medal for three or $400  The floor is whatever the metal content is worth I guess what I'm saying today I basically have two or $300 at risk also  The half ounce Munich metals are doing quite well I have watched raw ungraded versions on German eBay going for some pretty strong money lately I'm a gold bug so I'm very via bias

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2015, 08:04:41 PM »
Keep on trying I agree with what you said old versus new there might not be too much of a distinction but that being said  I like the risk reward of buying these my floor is whatever an ounce of gold is worth whereas when you buy let's just say for instance a 2 ounce silver medal for three or $400  The floor is whatever the metal content is worth I guess what I'm saying today I basically have two or $300 at risk also  The half ounce Munich metals are doing quite well I have watched raw ungraded versions on German eBay going for some pretty strong money lately I'm a gold bug so I'm very via bias

And what you are saying is also true because the numismatic premium of silver coins and medals is often many times the bullion value. Therefore if the foundation of the numismatic valuation of a particular coin or medal is undercut, the price can collapse and holders may be left clutching just a bunch of precious metals! The key is buying as cheaply and as close to bullion price as possible and that is more likely with gold coins and medal. I try to compensate a little bit by buying heavy silver medals hoping that in the worst case scenario there'll be enough bullion in it to feed the family a few times over!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Showing the unloved a little love. 

A new gold proof purchase (87P) at a nice price makes an attractive trio.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »
Birdman,

"Unloved"?! Let me know when you stop loving them. I'd want to give them a loving home.  :001_tt1: N66

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 07:45:14 AM »
love those unloved :)   an 18,000.00   1995 1/2 oz  gold panda price?? (you can hear the air rushing out of that balloon)  and you have pictured  a 1991 p in perfect grade!!  3500 total mintage ???????   unloved ??  maybe more accurate is undervalued or sleeper?? :)  and while the other 2 are more common still 10k mintage??  Big fan here of those gold proof sets :) and the 1987 in pf70 is for sure a grade rarity the 25y and 50y  seem to be difficult to grade pf69 never mind pf 70

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2015, 06:05:02 PM »
This snapshot image will not win any photography awards, but if you look closely, there is a different beauty.  This photo includes a purchase I received today that completed a puzzle.   The collector in me raises a glass in celebration N47 N38  

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »
Congratulation!  Very impressive.    :001_wub: N3 N47 N47

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »