Author Topic: mini test  (Read 45362 times)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: mini test
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 02:09:40 PM »
Nope not smug at all.     Paid the seller a fair price actually more than anyone else was willing to at the time and for that I got to pick the 5 I wanted out of the 11 he had   Not smug at all just smart business

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »
Here is the proof version of the 1984 35th founding of PRC commemorative 3-coin set.  I found this set on ebay over 2 years ago and paid $100.  It has been the subject of previous posts.  I believe the value is around $10K but not sure since I have not check in a while

Yours seems to be the Shanghai mint set. Rare. ?<100 minted? Probably >$10,000 by now.

What appears to be the Shenyang mint variety sold on eBay yesterday for $420 (eBay# 141779544209). This is the highest sale price that I am aware of although I have not done any exhaustive search for prices. Prior sales were for less than $200. A real increase in valuation or whalepricing?

BTW the Shenyang variety has a much higher mintage.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
Yours seems to be the Shanghai mint set. Rare. ?<100 minted? Probably >$10,000 by now.

What appears to be the Shenyang mint variety sold on eBay yesterday for $420 (eBay# 141779544209). This is the highest sale price that I am aware of although I have not done any exhaustive search for prices. Prior sales were for less than $200. A real increase in valuation or whalepricing?

Sale also included one of the original wooden boxes associated with the Shenyang mint sets.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 05:22:45 PM »

You are correct.  At the time of researching the set a couple of years ago there was thought to be around 50 sets.  I have not followed this for a couple of years so the numbers could have changed

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2015, 06:48:04 PM »
Very detailed information on the 35th anniversary Shanghai and Shenyang mint coins:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6501.0

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
Nope not smug at all.     Paid the seller a fair price actually more than anyone else was willing to at the time and for that I got to pick the 5 I wanted out of the 11 he had   Not smug at all just smart business

I do not make any judgment.

It is just sad and terrible that you are proud of it and not able to recognize that you abused the situation of this person.
The best is when you cry out that you paid a fair price... 200 USD over spot... it means about 1300 USD and you dare to tell it is overpriced  N20  N20  N20

Come on... A little bit of dignity, please.  :thumbdown:

"Smart business" ?
Today, it is just the way how the steal is institutionalized.

"Là où il y a de la gêne, il n'y a pas de plaisir".

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Well who apparently you are severely misguided my friend the gentleman quoted me a price and I excepted.  So please do not make disparaging remarks unless you know the facts I paid the man exactly what he wanted so before you start making judgments of other people You might want to know the facts my friend

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
Let's keep our tempers under control gentlemen.  There are lots of variables affecting a sale price.  For instance, if someone needs to sell rapidly, they have fewer options, and are limited to who ever is paying the best price.  Also, for this particular coin, the current value seems to be associated with condition.  Note that at the recent Stacks Auction, a PF66 of this coin sold for pretty close to spot price (and a PF67 went unsold?). 

http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivedetail.aspx?productid=16881599&ResultCount=1&sourcePage=archivesearchresults.aspx

If someone wants to take a gamble on grading it might be worth paying a bit more for an OMP in hopes that you get one of the rare 69s.  Just taking a look at the fuzzy photos that were posted, it looks like one of those has a forehead small rub and some dark copper spots, the latter of which may not always be able to be pristinely wiped by NCS.  My guess is that that one will not get an PF69?  Accordingly, it doesn't look like anyone overpaid or got taken advantage of, given current auction pricing.  If jc88888888 is was willing to buy multiple coins off the seller at one time, and jc88888888 was willing to offer a small premium over what a typical condition coin recently sold for (<$200), I see no harm.

In a similar vein, I was trying to sell a nice coin at a recent coin show.  I could point to auction results, but the dealers present at the show didn't need that particular coin on that day, so if I needed to sell on that day, I would have had to have taken a much lower price.  I walked away with the coin and put it back in storage for a while, but I may not always have that option if money gets tight.

Offline Tao-Panda

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
Well who apparently you are severely misguided my friend the gentleman quoted me a price and I excepted.  So please do not make disparaging remarks unless you know the facts I paid the man exactly what he wanted so before you start making judgments of other people You might want to know the facts my friend

That's the word "overpriced" which is really too much in your mouth.

And now you dare to write "I paid the man exactly what he wanted"... better and better  N20 N20 N20

As I told previously, I was in touch with him and I can tell you it is not the price he wanted for.
The only true is that he had to sell to any price because he was backed into a corner due to deep finacial troubles.
Do you really believe that 1300 USD for such medals could be a "wanted" price by his owner.

Come on... be serious and have a little bit of dignity !

But do not worry, my friend... as you say, you do "smart business".

Offline Tao-Panda

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »
Birdman,

To get a good deal on the misfortune of somebody, it is a thing.
To boast of it and to be proud of it is an other one.
Personally, I know whom my sympathy goes to.
I do not tell anything else.
Now, if jc888888888 takes it bad, he must know why.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2015, 12:29:03 PM »
This situation might be a useful lesson regarding the lack of liquidity for the medals.  If you need to sell them quickly, it may be tough to find a buyer, especially if they are ungraded and are part of a series that is known for condition problems (1988 New Orleans).  If the owner was trying to sell problem-free examples of BU gold pandas of the main series, he would have probably had multiple offers from different dealers (I am assuming that this was at the Long Beach Show?).

On the flip side, if you are a very patient collector, you might be able to find a rare medal at a good price, and you may be able to make a good profit if you hold it until (when/if) the market better appreciates the rarity/beauty of that medal.  But you need to be willing to tie up $ in an uncertain venture.  jc88888888 is taking a calculated risk, tying up $5K+ of cash.  If he gets a high score on the NGC submission for a few coins, and if people start liking scarce medals more, he may have a good investment.  There are some ifs there, however.  There are risks on both sides.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2015, 12:29:26 PM »
Let's keep our tempers under control gentlemen.  There are lots of variables affecting a sale price.  For instance, if someone needs to sell rapidly, they have fewer options, and are limited to who ever is paying the best price.  Also, for this particular coin, the current value seems to be associated with condition.  Note that at the recent Stacks Auction, a PF66 of this coin sold for pretty close to spot price (and a PF67 went unsold?).  

http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivedetail.aspx?productid=16881599&ResultCount=1&sourcePage=archivesearchresults.aspx

If someone wants to take a gamble on grading it might be worth paying a bit more for an OMP in hopes that you get one of the rare 69s.  Just taking a look at the fuzzy photos that were posted, it looks like one of those has a forehead small rub and some dark copper spots, the latter of which may not always be able to be pristinely wiped by NCS.  My guess is that that one will not get an PF69?  Accordingly, it doesn't look like anyone overpaid or got taken advantage of, given current auction pricing.  If jc88888888 is was willing to buy multiple coins off the seller at one time, and jc88888888 was willing to offer a small premium over what a typical condition coin recently sold for (<$200), I see no harm.

In a similar vein, I was trying to sell a nice coin at a recent coin show.  I could point to auction results, but the dealers present at the show didn't need that particular coin on that day, so if I needed to sell on that day, I would have had to have taken a much lower price.  I walked away with the coin and put it back in storage for a while, but I may not always have that option if money gets tight.

THANK YOU BIRDMAN ! , I will not lower myself to to even bother responding    ,I will tell you all the coins had copper spots and 2 of the five I bought had slight head rubs ..the gentleman  who sold them to me was aware sent me pictures of all of them and we agreed upon the price without any haggling ,I then paid him immediately without fees for the coins ,Now what the same seller told me someone who was trying to buy the coins was going back in forth with him for over a week running background checks on him:)   I don't know who that was but one could guess  .I bought 2 88 new orleans ,2 88 munichs  and 1 87 san francisco   ,all the gentleman had left ,was 5 1987 New orleans   (not quite as desirable ) and 1 88 new orleans with a bad head rub .As I said  it took me 60 minutes to complete the transaction SO maybe some sour grapes here possibly??  ,while whoever that other person was going back in forth for 6 days with the seller WHOMEVER THAT WAS  :It seems I made a decision agreed upon a price and paid the gentleman he was very happy with the transaction .

Offline Tao-Panda

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
he was very happy with the transaction .

Content of last email with I have had with the seller: (I can feel his happiness)

Needed to liquidate faster than I wanted to for financial reasons.
I know I lost my butt. It sucks.
Thank you for your interest.
I'm sad.

When you are in front of the wall, you begin to slander.
Sad to see which kind of person you are but thank you for showing your real face.

The way you do "smart business"... N25

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
Next topic, guys.  Enough said.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »
Nobody forced the seller to sell, he's a grown man and it was his decision ... I'm sure if he could have gotten a better price somewhere else then he would have done so but he didn't.

As far as I'm concerned jc88 did the seller a favor, he had coins to sell and jc88 obliged him with buying the coins.  

End of story

oh and by the way ... very nice coins in this thread guys, thanks for posting !  :thumbup: