Author Topic: mini test  (Read 57551 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: mini test
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 09:37:40 AM »
yes sir NCS, I am trying to upgrade my 68,s   ,wish me luck!

Good luck JC; I can see some PF70s in your stars!
Best wishes.
KOT!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
I would love to know why more folks don't get involved with these panda gold medals ,despite there extremely low mintage typically 1000 to 3000  an astute buyer can still pick all but the rarest ones for a smallish premium over melt ..... am I missing something ? every time I see them and the premium is small I jump all over them ..thinking someday they will wake up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  am i misguided?  

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
Given that the coin had been in OMP for approximately 10 years did you have to send it to NCS for conservation before grading? In other words is cleaning necessary before grading a coin that has been in OMP for a long time, especially if directly in contact with the pliable plastic coin envelope? (And what is a "long time"?). Is the answer different for gold as compared to silver?

I know that the more experienced collectors can make that decision on careful examination of the coin in question but for most others, how do they make a decision on whether to send straight to a grading company or routing the coin submission through NCS or a suitable alternative coin conservation service? Thanks for more insight.

At that time (July 2011), I think the NCS was only $20 or so per coin, so I took advantage of it.  You will hear opinions both way, but I have almost always used NCS when I am submitting old gold OMP pandas.  Perhaps, I've only enriched NGC, but it does make them look nicer to me, and it gives me peace of mind.

In addition to removing the ugly copper spots, I think it just improves the overall eye appeal.  I suspect it also improves the grade that the coin will receive (obviously so with copper spots).  It also gives me comfort that the coin was "professionally conserved" (sounds better than "cleaning", which typically refers to a more harsh process).  I've seen "PVC," or whatever the chemical residues from the plastic, do some nasty things to coins surfaces, so it feels good to professionally remove any residue, before it goes in the slab, and then goes into my archival bag, and then goes into the climate controlled vault with supplemental desiccant. 

There has been some discussion on whether NCS conserves all the coins it is sent or, just the ones it deems to need conserving, but I think that the majority of mine have been processed (spots, haze, etc. are missing when they come back).  I did have one that I sent through NCS that came back with its copper spot still intact, but I just sent it back to NCS and it was taken care of.

I haven't had any problems yet with my NCS-conserved gold MS70s.  I suppose I'll be a good test case if problems from this "cleaning" occur in the future, but so far so good.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
I would love to know why more folks don't get involved with these panda gold medals ,despite there extremely low mintage typically 1000 to 3000  an astute buyer can still pick all but the rarest ones for a smallish premium over melt ..... am I missing something ? every time I see them and the premium is small I jump all over them ..thinking someday they will wake up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  am i misguided?   

I've listened to opinions on both sides.  As you can see from my collection, I've focused mainly on the core BU gold pandas.  The thinking is that most people collect the main date series, so if you can get the better-date, bread-and-butter basics, you stand a good chance of price appreciation as broader mainstream demand pushes up prices.

The medals can be a little tricky, as there are so many offshoot types (with a new crop of types each year), so you can't count on as large a pool of core collectors.  Also, I think that in a few cases, if the medal type didn't sell well initially, they may still be held in large hoards by the dealers?  You'd want to do as much research as possible to figure out the nuances for each type.  Having said all of that, I quite happily paid a premium for my 1987 MS69 Gold NY Medal (and a 1987 MS69 NY Platinum Medal).  It has the pre-9/11 twin towers on its skyline (visceral), and is somewhat a grade rarity (although nothing like the 1988 New Orleans issue, which seems to be plagued with forehead rubs).  I'm still waiting to find one of those 69s selling for a small premium!

If you can get a big, beautiful, G1oz medal with a low surviving population, a nice design, and grade rarity, without paying too much of a premium, why not go for it?  Buy something you like when it is out of style.   If it comes back into style, you may be in a good position.  If not, you still have 1 oz of gold with a good story.  I don't have the means to collect everything, so I've had to pick my focuses.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 10:25:11 AM »
A small gold medal collection ,the OMP and flip coins are going to NGC on Monday so I had the box out of the bank safety deposit box to pack for ngc so here is a quick photo  easy WG :):)  lol

Is that a 1997 munich gold 1/2 ounce...nice and the key coin for the series besides the 1996 bi metal.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
Is that a 1997 munich gold 1/2 ounce...nice and the key coin for the series besides the 1996 bi metal.
YES :)

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »
I have always used NCS for all gold and silver.  For gold they remove the copper spots and any PVC residue from the original plastic pouch...this is extremely important to remove for proper preservation and storage.  I have not sent coins into NCS for some time since the price change and the fact they no longer conserve everything vs. evaluate for conservation.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »
I've listened to opinions on both sides.  As you can see from my collection, I've focused mainly on the core BU gold pandas.  The thinking is that most people collect the main date series, so if you can get the better-date, bread-and-butter basics, you stand a good chance of price appreciation as broader mainstream demand pushes up prices.

The medals can be a little tricky, as there are so many offshoot types (with a new crop of types each year), so you can't count on as large a pool of core collectors.  Also, I think that in a few cases, if the medal type didn't sell well initially, they may still be held in large hoards by the dealers?  You'd want to do as much research as possible to figure out the nuances for each type.  Having said all of that, I quite happily paid a premium for my 1987 MS69 Gold NY Medal (and a 1987 MS69 NY Platinum Medal).  It has the pre-9/11 twin towers on its skyline (visceral), and is somewhat a grade rarity (although nothing like the 1988 New Orleans issue, which seems to be plagued with forehead rubs).  I'm still waiting to find one of those 69s selling for a small premium!

If you can get a big, beautiful, G1oz medal with a low surviving population, a nice design, and grade rarity, without paying too much of a premium, why not go for it?  Buy something you like when it is out of style.   If it comes back into style, you may be in a good position.  If not, you still have 1 oz of gold with a good story.  I don't have the means to collect everything, so I've had to pick my focuses.
[/quote

BIRDMAN YOU HAVE A GOOD EYE ......  the 1988 ana new orleans  is a REAL SLEEPER  I just picked up 2 and paid 200 over spot ,it is a tough coin loose capsules like the 1988 munich make the coin wrought with headrubs even in OMP  hence the low grades. 1500 mintage I believe ... i would assume it is not a coincidence that both these 1988 medals have the same problem

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 10:35:25 AM »
BIRDMAN YOU HAVE A GOOD EYE ......  the 1988 ana new orleans  is a REAL SLEEPER  I just picked up 2 and paid 200 over spot ,it is a tough coin loose capsules like the 1988 munich make the coin wrought with headrubs even in OMP  hence the low grades. 1500 mintage I believe ... i would assume it is not a coincidence that both these 1988 medals have the same problem

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »
I would love to know why more folks don't get involved with these panda gold medals ,despite there extremely low mintage typically 1000 to 3000  an astute buyer can still pick all but the rarest ones for a smallish premium over melt ..... am I missing something ? every time I see them and the premium is small I jump all over them ..thinking someday they will wake up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  am i misguided?   

I've listened to opinions on both sides.  As you can see from my collection, I've focused mainly on the core BU gold pandas.  The thinking is that most people collect the main date series, so if you can get the better-date, bread-and-butter basics, you stand a good chance of price appreciation as broader mainstream demand pushes up prices.

The medals can be a little tricky, as there are so many offshoot types (with a new crop of types each year), so you can't count on as large a pool of core collectors.  Also, I think that in a few cases, if the medal type didn't sell well initially, they may still be held in large hoards by the dealers?  You'd want to do as much research as possible to figure out the nuances for each type.  Having said all of that, I quite happily paid a premium for my 1987 MS69 Gold NY Medal (and a 1987 MS69 NY Platinum Medal).  It has the pre-9/11 twin towers on its skyline (visceral), and is somewhat a grade rarity (although nothing like the 1988 New Orleans issue, which seems to be plagued with forehead rubs).  I'm still waiting to find one of those 69s selling for a small premium!

If you can get a big, beautiful, G1oz medal with a low surviving population, a nice design, and grade rarity, without paying too much of a premium, why not go for it?  Buy something you like when it is out of style.   If it comes back into style, you may be in a good position.  If not, you still have 1 oz of gold with a good story.  I don't have the means to collect everything, so I've had to pick my focuses.

I have noticed this tug of war of opinions, so to speak, between buying medals (even early year releases) and coins. Instinctively a high grade, early year, low mintage, highly regarded gold medal should have been the one to attract a higher valuation due to its more restricted availability, with a consequent readiness of potential collectors to pay more to acquire it. However, it seems that at a higher pricing level (more) individuals may opt for acquiring the less expensive coin equivalent, which because of the larger base of collectors/investors and other attributes, may be easier to sell. I get the impression that medals in general may be more of true collector items as compared to coins. I could be wrong!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
The 1988 ANA Cincinnati is one someone should not overlook   low mintage believed to be far less than 500 (source Peter Anthony pricepedia)  the census history does not tell the true story (they grade fairly well)   being an ex New York-er the NY tugs at me pretty good I was in NY 3 blocks away from the twin towers working when the tragedy occurred. 

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 04:27:42 PM »
A small gold medal collection ,the OMP and flip coins are going to NGC on Monday so I had the box out of the bank safety deposit box to pack for ngc so here is a quick photo  easy WG :):)  lol

Quote from: jc888888888
I just picked up 2 and paid 200 over spot ,it is a tough coin loose capsules like the 1988 munich make the coin wrought with headrubs even in OMP  hence the low grades.

My small finger tells me you have bought these both 1oz gold Munich 1988 and both 1oz gold New Orleans 1988 medlas this week from a poor guy...

"Le malheur des uns fait le bonheur des autres"...
What a tragedy !

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 05:55:58 PM »
My small finger tells me you have bought these both 1oz gold Munich 1988 and both 1oz gold New Orleans 1988 medlas this week from a poor guy...

"Le malheur des uns fait le bonheur des autres"...
What a tragedy !

I am the poor guy now :):)  I blew my coin budget for 3 months:)  but 5 ounces of gold or some paper ,I like the gold better ..:) I paid a fair price probably overpaid but  what the heck I am a long term holder of metal

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2015, 03:00:33 AM »
I am the poor guy now :):)  I blew my coin budget for 3 months:)  but 5 ounces of gold or some paper ,I like the gold better ..:) I paid a fair price probably overpaid but  what the heck I am a long term holder of metal

We are all poor guys.
For him, I was talking at the 1st degree... I was also in touch with him.

Overpaid ?... 200 USD over spot...  :blink:
LOL

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 12:09:03 PM »
We are all poor guys.
For him, I was talking at the 1st degree... I was also in touch with him.

Overpaid ?... 200 USD over spot...  :blink:
LOL

Obviously, JC felt a little smug when he thought he "got a steal".