Author Topic: mini test  (Read 45769 times)

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: mini test
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
The view of Shanghai that greeted me upon arrival to the hotel room tonight.  Wow!  This is quite the modern city with ample affluence.  I hope to make it to the coin market tomorrow.
Nice shot!  :thumbup:

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:31 AM »
First, +1 and many thanks to moosician for showing me around the big Shanghai coin market.  It makes things much more interesting to have a bilingual host so that I could interact with some of the dealers.  It is also nice to actually meet some of the dealers I had sold coins to across the Pacific Ocean over the past several years.

Overall, I was quite impressed with the volume of various gold and silver Chinese coins present.  The biggest surprise, and difference from coin shows and markets in the US, was that the Shanghai market had so many of the big (5 oz +) silver and gold modern Chinese coins (I'll post some photos).  There were quite a few that I have never seen in the US.

My favorite of the many (100+) coin and stamp stands was that of Mr Jin.  He kindly let me take a photo of him and his shop.  He had a nice selection of excellent gold pandas, even some 1995 G1/2 for sale.  Some dealers had G1/2 in their case but would not sell them.  For instance, I saw a nice 1996 SD G1/2 NGC MS69 from a different dealer, but that one wasn't for sale.

Xu Hong had plenty of nice material in his shop too.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2016, 04:10:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2016, 04:12:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2016, 04:14:09 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2016, 04:32:26 AM »
One of the most interesting things I observed at the Shanghai coin market today was a dealer at one of the small center tables.  What caught my eye was she was holding an empty cut-open OMP square.  I was puzzled at what she was doing, but then I saw her size up a certain raw gold panda and the slide it into the "OMP".  It was essentially a reseal job casually done in the open public! Done as if it was done every day and there was nothing notable about it.  I sensed what was happening so a pressed record and documented the event on my phone.  The video is probably too big to upload here, but that was an eye opener.  I will never again buy an OMP panda without being very suspicious of whether it is Resealed.

That event excluded, it was a great visit to the Shanghai market.  I have never seen so many Chinese coins in one place!

From what I could gather, a few dealers we still actively assembling gold panda master sets.  Demand still exceeded supply.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2016, 04:37:41 AM »
A screen shot of my video of the dealer putting the raw gold panda into the cut open OMP.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »
Could you tell if she was resealing with official mint looking seals or were they they obvious fake OMP seals like the ones with rounded corners?
If they were official mint looking seals were they year and mint appropriate?

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2016, 05:33:39 AM »
Could you tell if she was resealing with official mint looking seals or were they they obvious fake OMP seals like the ones with rounded corners?
If they were official mint looking seals were they year and mint appropriate?

They looked official to me.  I rewatched the video and they are square corners.  I want to say that it was the OMP with the writing on the edge (Shenzhen? Can't remember right now?) but I'm not certain.  I think the coin was a 2006? 

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2016, 05:56:29 AM »
Shenzhen Guobao would be correct for any after 2005
5.   According to China Gold Coins Inc website, as well as red book and Mr. Ge, starting 2005, gold pandas were issued by three Mints (Shanghai, Shenyang and Shenzhen). However, I have not seen any gold panda in Shanghai, and Shenyang mint pouch for any size after 2005, except the 2008 1/20 oz sheet found by 1668Chris. Two large dealers inside China also had never seen any post-2005 gold pandas in Shanghai and Shenyang mint pouch either.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2016, 07:15:37 AM »
"According to China Gold Coins Inc website, as well as red book and Mr. Ge, starting 2005, gold pandas were issued by three Mints (Shanghai, Shenyang and Shenzhen)."

I consider the China Gold Coin website information to be correct all the way up through 2016.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
@ Birdman,

Was great to meet a fellow CCF member here. Was a pleasure :)
Regarding the 'reseal' coin that you saw, im quite sure this practice is not uncommon but a possibility is that some dealers get the coins out to blow torch away red spots. Ive seen this countless of times, for silver, they dip it in silver cleaning solution, presumably to improve the appearance, then they reseal it.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:20 PM »
Hey Birdman, and hello to everyone!  It's been a while since I've been active here on the board, but have been stopping by to check out the latest happenings.  Great pictures, Birdman, sounds like a fantatic trip.  Love seeing all those large denomination gold coins - that would be the highlight of my trip, as far as coins go.  Haven't made it to China yet, but it's on the list.   Great to see so many people still active here on the forum.  Will make another post soon - have some gold 2003 1/2 and even after reading any and all threads about mirror vs. frost and fat leg vs thin leg (lol) I think I'm still a little stumped.  Again, congrats on what looks like a fantastic trip, Bird.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
A screen shot of my video of the dealer putting the raw gold panda into the cut open OMP.

I believe that the evidence is overwhelmingly in support of a high rate of OMP resealing everywhere. Makes it impossible for anyone to be 100% sure that an OMP is indeed an OMP!

Even OMP collectors may be tricked by the use of custom designed resealing machines; nothing difficult with replicating the mint seal template.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »