Author Topic: mini test  (Read 45351 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: mini test
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 11:37:02 AM »
Nice.  I am training my eye, in case I see something like these on eBay or in a coin shop.  I bet the price listed in Krause, the coin book that many US dealers reference is totally out of date, and if the piece doesn't come up that frequently on eBay (so no price reference in "sold items"), I imagine there is the potential to scoop up some deals.  I don't think most dealers are going to go on Chinese websites to get the latest pricing information.  Market knowledge is power.  (Or maybe these circulating pieces wouldn't be expected to show up in US coin market much, unlike pandas for which there was an export pipeline?). But the party would stop when somebody like NGC or PCGS start their own price guides for these coins, as they did with pandas, making the information widely available, and eliminating the knowledge gaps.  Or do I recall that Peter was going to add some circulating coin listing to his "Pricepedia" subscription newsletter?  I won't be paying a big premium for any of these coins, as I have limited knowledge, but I'll keep my eye out in case any US dealers have obviously mispriced pieces, such that there is a low risk and high reward potential.
Some proof circulating coins were given away as VIP gifts to visitors. So they landed outside China. There are still chances to do cherry picking with circulating coins, as Chris and I did.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »
Some proof circulating coins were given away a VIP gifts to visitors. So they landed outside China. There are still chances to do cherry picking with circulating coins, as Chris and I did.

Knowing what to look for and being ahead of the crowd are two numismatic pearls for big time success. Great job finding these treasure items!   N31
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 03:59:22 PM »
Some proof circulating coins were given away as VIP gifts to visitors. So they landed outside China. There are still chances to do cherry picking with circulating coins, as Chris and I did.

While I would love the opportunity to collect additional proof coins the reality is they don't exist in the U.S.   I happened to get lucky on the set I purchased.  Also the major auctions in Hong Kong etc.  do not carry these types of coins.  I have been trying to buying circulating proof sets whenever I see them for reasonable prices mostly 1992 thru 2000.  These are low mintage sets which can be found in Germany on occasion, not so much in the U.S.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:18 PM »
Sometimes it is just nice to see coins.  With a nod to wg, who shared some really fun stuff 

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6926.msg44774#msg44774
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6487.0

here is a share from a portion of my MUCH smaller collection.  A random coin from each box of G1/2 is pulled out.  And no, I do not have a box of 1995 G1/2!  I wish I did, but wg might  ;)

Photographed for a brief moment when it was out of the climate controlled bank vault. 

Perhaps someone else can share something from their collection?  Perhaps something we haven't seen much of?  There has been some talk of modern circulating coins.  Anybody have a high grade example of one of those?  I sure could learn a lot about them.  I also love to see interesting chop marked coins?  What else is your passion?  Share it  :001_smile:

Consider adding a photo to one of the following threads to give us a taste of what you like:

"Post your newest modern Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1115.1140
"Post your newest older Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5024.150

Oops, I forgot about two other boxes of G1/2 that were stored in a separate safe deposit box. :blush:  That's what happens with my "store them away and forget about them until years in the future" investment strategy.

Here's an updated photo taken today.  The coin that happened to be first in each box is placed on top.  N38

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:29 AM »
Nice, Birdman, nice !!!  N31  N31  N31  :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

You're WG#2

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
I agree awesome collection but the bank safety deposit box for me is a huge concern.   I do not trust the government of a bankrupt country as stated here many times.    Hope you keep your hard earned collection.......that's a lot of top gold pandas....

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Nice, Birdman, nice !!!  N31  N31  N31  :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

You're WG#2

Thanks, but I'm no WG #2. I'd be a mini-wg, at best.  From what I've seen, wg has many multiples of the absolute key date G1/2 (1995, 1998, etc.).  Since many of those had already popped in price when I got in in late 2010, and I lack courage and resources to spend huge premiums on single coins, I adopted a more economical strategy of working on the semi-key area, mainly from 1989-2007.  I'll restrain from showing you my secret-sauce investment focus of dates right now, but I tried to focus where others weren't.  Furthermore, from what I can gather, wg has the ability to place massive orders from dealers and get sheet after sheet and box after box of product.  Mine had largely been a more time-intensive, scrappy, single-coin approach of finding various denominations of better-date gold pandas near spot price in a coin shop, or online, grading them and then trading or selling the G1/20, G1/10, G1/4, and G1oz and the G1/2 MS68 in order to get more of my focus MS69 G1/2 that I found at an attractive price.  A lot of work!  I'm not one who is in the habit of writing 5-figure checks to directly get a box of G1/2 I want.

Furthermore, I've had to make some tough tradeoffs.  For instance, up until spring 2013, I had a pretty good date set of gold 1 oz pandas.  But with the run up in price at that time, I traded or sold most of them, including a nice string of MS69 G1oz 1991-1998, within a few weeks at the top in March 2013.  I love those big gold designs, but I couldn't justify holding on to them with my limited resources.  I converted them into dry powder to cherry pick G1/2 over the ensuing years.  Alas, I think I only have one BU Gold 1 oz panda left  :(  WG has so many G1oz, and key dates too.  I saw lots of 1995s, etc!!  Moreover, wg has loads of so many non-panda coins, some of which I think spiked higher in value when the coin exchanges got active.

Thus, I bow to king wg  :001_tongue:  He's got the dream collection.  I didn't even mention those huge gold pieces he has  :001_tt1: 

Having said that, thanks for the kind words on mine.  I've had to work for it with endless time searching online for underpriced coins and trying to learn as much as I can about G1/2 dates, varieties, and populations (I assure my wife it is time spent learning about coins, rather than time spent on match.com!).  It gives me pride to look at my collection.  N38  And, if numismatic premiums evaporate overnight, they are still pretty to look at, and they've got some gold content to fall back on, which I feel is increasingly important with world debts rising, and prolonged low-interest rates encouraging the piling up of even more debt.  I'm convinced that will not end well.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
You're too modest, Birdman.  N31  N39

We all realize there's a huge disparity between wg and the runner-up, and maybe no one will ever catch up with him. (Yes, I drooled over those 95 1/2 and 1 oz too. Most people will dream to have one or two, but wg seems to have a drawer-full of them.   :w00t:  :w00t:  :001_wub:)

Let's just enjoy the collection of these beautiful coins - not just our own but someone else's too)

Cheers.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
Another peek. 

I got one of these graded from OMP four years ago.

Price Guide says a 13.6% premium for a pop 4  G1/2 MS70?  Please contact me if you'd like to sell me one at that price.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Thanks, but I'm no WG #2. I'd be a mini-wg, at best.  From what I've seen, wg has many multiples of the absolute key date G1/2 (1995, 1998, etc.).  Since many of those had already popped in price when I got in in late 2010, and I lack courage and resources to spend huge premiums on single coins, I adopted a more economical strategy of working on the semi-key area, mainly from 1989-2007.  I'll restrain from showing you my secret-sauce investment focus of dates right now, but I tried to focus where others weren't.  Furthermore, from what I can gather, wg has the ability to place massive orders from dealers and get sheet after sheet and box after box of product.  Mine had largely been a more time-intensive, scrappy, single-coin approach of finding various denominations of better-date gold pandas near spot price in a coin shop, or online, grading them and then trading or selling the G1/20, G1/10, G1/4, and G1oz and the G1/2 MS68 in order to get more of my focus MS69 G1/2 that I found at an attractive price.  A lot of work!  I'm not one who is in the habit of writing 5-figure checks to directly get a box of G1/2 I want.

Furthermore, I've had to make some tough tradeoffs.  For instance, up until spring 2013, I had a pretty good date set of gold 1 oz pandas.  But with the run up in price at that time, I traded or sold most of them, including a nice string of MS69 G1oz 1991-1998, within a few weeks at the top in March 2013.  I love those big gold designs, but I couldn't justify holding on to them with my limited resources.  I converted them into dry powder to cherry pick G1/2 over the ensuing years.  Alas, I think I only have one BU Gold 1 oz panda left  :(  WG has so many G1oz, and key dates too.  I saw lots of 1995s, etc!!  Moreover, wg has loads of so many non-panda coins, some of which I think spiked higher in value when the coin exchanges got active.

Thus, I bow to king wg  :001_tongue:  He's got the dream collection.  I didn't even mention those huge gold pieces he has  :001_tt1: 

Having said that, thanks for the kind words on mine.  I've had to work for it with endless time searching online for underpriced coins and trying to learn as much as I can about G1/2 dates, varieties, and populations (I assure my wife it is time spent learning about coins, rather than time spent on match.com!).  It gives me pride to look at my collection.  N38  And, if numismatic premiums evaporate overnight, they are still pretty to look at, and they've got some gold content to fall back on, which I feel is increasingly important with world debts rising, and prolonged low-interest rates encouraging the piling up of even more debt.  I'm convinced that will not end well.

Whether it is wg, Birdman or several others who have allowed us a glimpse of their collections or strategies, it is the inspiration that matters the most. You get ideas of future possibilities and successes if you can just apply some of your mental and other resources on a regular basis to researching, purchasing and upgrading your collection. The passage of time can be kind to you as long as you report for duty every day. I have learnt so much about MCC within the last two years than I ever did previously just by tuning in, imbibing the generous offerings and chirping in from time to time.

Thanks guys!  N31 :thumbup:

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2015, 09:18:03 AM »
A small gold medal collection ,the OMP and flip coins are going to NGC on Monday so I had the box out of the bank safety deposit box to pack for ngc so here is a quick photo  easy WG :):)  lol

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2015, 09:29:07 AM »
A small gold medal collection ,the OMP and flip coins are going to NGC on Monday so I had the box out of the bank safety deposit box to pack for ngc so here is a quick photo  easy WG :):)  lol

Thanks for sharing.  I have a few of those medals (e.g., NY, SF), but your collection is many times more complete than mine.  I assume that the raw coins will be going through NCS first?  They should be able to take care of those copper spots.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:01 AM »
Another peek.  

I got one of these graded from OMP four years ago.

Price Guide says a 13.6% premium for a pop 4  G1/2 MS70?  Please contact me if you'd like to sell me one at that price.

Given that the coin had been in OMP for approximately 10 years did you have to send it to NCS for conservation before grading? In other words is cleaning necessary before grading a coin that has been in OMP for a long time, especially if directly in contact with the pliable plastic coin envelope? (And what is a "long time"?). Is the answer different for gold as compared to silver?

I know that the more experienced collectors can make that decision on careful examination of the coin in question but for most others, how do they make a decision on whether to send straight to a grading company or routing the coin submission through NCS or a suitable alternative coin conservation service? Thanks for more insight.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
yes sir NCS, I am trying to upgrade my 68,s   ,wish me luck!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 09:34:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I have a few of those medals (e.g., NY, SF), but your collection is many times more complete than mine.  I assume that the raw coins will be going through NCS first?  They should be able to take care of those copper spots.

Seems like you already started answering my question before I asked. Clairvoyance another one of your gifts?  N8 N23 :scared: