Author Topic: mini test  (Read 45871 times)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: mini test
« Reply #120 on: June 19, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
Birdman,

IMO, the store you visited at Sian is one of the largest in China, based on the large poster for 3rd series banknote set with the same serial # on the front door. This is a very rare set with current valuation at least $100,000.

Most stores inside China do not have pre-2000 pandas, gold or silver, except few large dealers in the city of Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. Chengdu may have some, since it is nearby the panda habitant.

Just for information.

Your tour guide may take your group to jade store at Sian and Shanghai.

Most jades in Sian are fake, made with polymer composite. The genuine jade will feel the coolness when in contact to the chin. The fake one will be close to your skin temperature, after rubbing with finger for 30 seconds, while the genuine will be about the same coolness.  The quality of the jade can be determined using a high power flashlight (reliable store will provide it) to check the impurity and hairlines inside the stone. The less the impurity and hairlines the better the quality.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »
Birdman thank you for the great pictures.  I feel like we were there with you in the shop.  For us that can't get out of the states this makes quite a vivid picture of the happenings outside the US.  Thank you for sharing. 

You are welcome.  Perhaps this will motivate others to post photos of the Chinese coins that are available in their local coin shops around the world.  It is very interesting to see the global distribution of modern Chinese coins.  It is nice to be a coin tourist by logging on to this forum and looking at pictures.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
There is a coin market in Xi'an. It opened two years ago. One of the stores there belongs to Mr. Gao, a very well-respected dealer who handles modern Chines coins. I visited the market shortly after it opened and before it was fully occupied. It is probably even better now.

店铺地址:
西安市新城区民乐园文化街北区008号唐晋阁
西安市新城区西华门华山邮币卡市场213号唐晋阁     

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Thanks.  I leave Xian  today, so I probably won't have time to visit it, but I hope this thread will be a resource for future travelers to China, who will now have advance knowledge of the locations of some coin stores and markets.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
Birdman,

IMO, the store you visited at Sian is one of the largest in China, based on the large poster for 3rd series banknote set with the same serial # on the front door. This is a very rare set with current valuation at least $100,000.

Most stores inside China do not have pre-2000 pandas, gold or silver, except few large dealers in the city of Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. Chengdu may have some, since it is nearby the panda habitant.

Just for information.

Most jades in Sian are fake, made with polymer composite. The genuine jade will feel the coolness when in contact to the chin. The fake one will be close to your skin temperature, after rubbing with finger for 30 seconds, while the genuine will be about the same coolness.  The quality of the jade can be determined using a high power flashlight (reliable store will provide it) to check the impurity and hairlines inside the stone. The less the impurity and hairlines the better the quality.

Thanks.  My ability to identify fake Jade is like the typical eBay buyers ability to identify genuine raw silver pandas on eBay.  Not good and high risk!  :)  We did visit the Xian Jade Workshop.  Interesting, and likely a lower risk of getting a fake there.  But, I chose not to buy anything there, given my limited knowledge (and my limited funds).

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
Thanks.  I leave Xian  today, so I probably won't have time to visit it, but I hope this thread will be a resource for future travelers to China, who will now have advance knowledge of the locations of some coin stores and markets.

There are postings in the CCF archive that contain complimentary information. Maybe someone needs to pull them all together into one thread!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2016, 12:26:09 AM »
Birdman,

Just for information.

I wonder if most of the pre-2000 gold panda coins are still outside China and the few that have made it back are now in very strong hands?

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »
I wonder if most of the pre-2000 gold panda coins are still outside China and the few that have made it back are now in very strong hands?

Based on dealer inventories in the USA and the difficulty in finding older gold Pandas, I doubt that this is the case today. During this decade there has been pretty much of a big one-way street to China for gold Pandas, although that doesn't mean the well is dry yet. A few areas, like 1980s coins that sell for close to melt value, are still fairly easy to come by outside of that country. That may be because it is not worth dealing with customs for coins that have minimal numismatic premiums.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacolleactor.com

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2016, 06:32:23 PM »
Thanks.  My ability to identify fake Jade is like the typical eBay buyers ability to identify genuine raw silver pandas on eBay.  Not good and high risk!  :)  We did visit the Xian Jade Workshop.  Interesting, and likely a lower risk of getting a fake there.  But, I chose not to buy anything there, given my limited knowledge (and my limited funds).

Your "limited knowledge and limited funds" served you very well! You did not allow your self to be ripped-off by the jade hucksters. Many people wear it in China. It is like a status symbol. I never looked twice (or even once) at someone's jade bracelet, etc. Their jade is about as rare as the 2-B gravel on the driveway. Hahaha! 

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2016, 02:40:39 AM »
What does a panda lover do when in Chengdu?  See the Giant Pandas and the Red Pandas.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2016, 02:41:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
An anecdote:  As I travel around China, I find it interesting that although many websites are blocked by the government, the Chinese Coin Forum always loads up quickly and completely.  I can't say the same about Google, Facebook, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and others.  Perhaps the government wants to encourage coin collecting :)  Or perhaps we've done (fairly) well at keeping our conversations focused on topics related to coins and not strayed into extraneous social or political topics.  Or perhaps our website traffic is too small for anyone to care! Either way, it is nice to see that this great resource seems to be readily accessible within China.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »
It must be the avoidance of social/political/religious diatribe together with a wholesome consideration of the material of interest here. Plus the huge database of information in the CCF archives.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »
Another hazy day in Chengdu.  Our guide said the surrounding mountains trap the pollution from the coal fired power plants and the ever increasing number of vehicles.  I wouldn't want to expose my coin surfaces to this soup.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2016, 09:43:28 PM »
try not to expose your lungs for too long either birdman:(

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2016, 06:34:36 AM »
I took the bullet train at 300 km/hr from Chengdu to Chongqing today.  I am embarrassed to say that if you asked me, before this trip, to find these two cities on a map of China, I would not have been able to.  Yet they are both so massive, there are so many people, so many cars, so much construction, that it is just overwhelming.  The guide said that 90% of the cars on the road (lots!) were made here in China through various partnerships with most of the major world auto brands.  Then I think of all the construction activity.  I think of all the business that make the materials (Windows, faucets, carpet, steel, concrete, etc).  There has been such a huge amount of economic activity and wealth creation for businesses that there is a mountain of money looking for a home.  It seems like even a small increase in awareness of gold pandas as an investment option (which seems likely) would put strong pressure on prices.  After what I have seen thus far, I feel very confident in the price potential of my focus, semi-key gold 1/2 oz pandas, especially the ones that haven't popped yet.  It is just this one man's opinion, but you've got to see China in person to grasp what has been going on here.  Wow.  And the surviving population of some of these pandas is so low.  Whoops, it sounds like now I'm drinking the kool-aid!  Gotta run...