Author Topic: mini test  (Read 56627 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
mini test
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »
Sometimes it is just nice to see coins.  With a nod to wg, who shared some really fun stuff  

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6926.msg44774#msg44774
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6487.0

here is a share from a portion of my MUCH smaller collection.  A random coin from each box of G1/2 is pulled out.  And no, I do not have a box of 1995 G1/2!  I wish I did, but wg might  ;).  

Photographed for a brief moment when it was out of the climate controlled bank vault.  

Perhaps someone else can share something from their collection?  Perhaps something we haven't seen much of?  There has been some talk of modern circulating coins.  Anybody have a high grade example of one of those?  I sure could learn a lot about them.  I also love to see interesting chop marked coins?  What else is your passion?  Share it  :001_smile:

Consider adding a photo to one of the following threads to give us a taste of what you like:

"Post your newest modern Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1115.1140
"Post your newest older Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5024.150

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: mini test
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »
Wait a sec, are those ALL half ounce coins?

If so, I think we need to have a chat. My collection is missing some coins you currently are storing in that climate controlled bank vault.  N4

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:27 PM »
Wait a sec, are those ALL half ounce coins?

If so, I think we need to have a chat. My collection is missing some coins you currently are storing in that climate controlled bank vault.  N4

Yes.

But, sometimes a woman is sexiest if she isn't fully naked, and she leaves something to the imagination.  So I'll just show a little hint of skin here and keep the rest hidden...for the moment.  Definitely until someone else shares  :001_tongue:

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
 :drool:  :001_tt1:  N31

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »
Sometimes it is just nice to see coins.  With a nod to wg, who shared some really fun stuff 

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6926.msg44774#msg44774
http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6487.0

here is a share from a portion of my MUCH smaller collection.  A random coin from each box of G1/2 is pulled out.  And no, I do not have a box of 1995 G1/2!  I wish I did, but wg might  ;)

Photographed for a brief moment when it was out of the climate controlled bank vault. 

Perhaps someone else can share something from their collection?  Perhaps something we haven't seen much of?  There has been some talk of modern circulating coins.  Anybody have a high grade example of one of those?  I sure could learn a lot about them.  I also love to see interesting chop marked coins?  What else is your passion?  Share it  :001_smile:

Consider adding a photo to one of the following threads to give us a taste of what you like:

"Post your newest modern Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=1115.1140
"Post your newest older Chinese coin" http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5024.150

Wow! You say wg has more metals? Just projecting from what you have out there I am not so sure! Anyway what do I know? Just KOT!

How long have you been collecting? Great job!  :thumbup:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 01:45:37 AM »
Go search the "test" thread and you will see why Birdman called this one the mini test thread. Humbling!

Wow! You say wg has more metals? Just projecting from what you have out there I am not so sure! Anyway what do I know? Just KOT!

How long have you been collecting? Great job!  :thumbup:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 01:48:26 AM »
Circulating coins are not that spectacular to watch. I showed the following pictures on the forum before. It is THE top one circulating coin in Sun's book, worth about $20,000. 40th Anniversary of the PRC proof coin. Mintage 1000, surviving mintage very tiny, as some specimens were used as a 1 Yuan coin in circulation before people had any idea about proof coins. So the price gain is about 120,000 times.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 02:08:02 AM »
Go search the "test" thread and you will see why Birdman called this one the mini test thread. Humbling!

Yes. I have seen wg's stash previously. It wasn't just humbling, it was plain demoralizing. And he built that in just 5 years!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 02:18:20 AM »
Circulating coins are not that spectacular to watch. I showed the following pictures on the forum before. It is THE top one circulating coin in Sun's book, worth about $20,000. 40th Anniversary of the PRC proof coin. Mintage 1000, surviving mintage very tiny, as some specimens were used as a 1 Yuan coin in circulation before people had any idea about proof coins. So the price gain is about 120,000 times.

Are there other versions of this particular coin? For example non-proof, restrikes or fake? What is the metal or alloy? Thanks for answering.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:20 AM »
Holy cow Birdman...  :001_tt1:
I like how you had to start stuffing them in sideways.  :thumbup:

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
How long have you been collecting?

I've been collecting world coins seriously for about the last 15 years.  I started getting into higher value world coins (mainly big, old silver coins) about 2005 or so.  I bought my first Chinese rarity in 2009 (Kweichow auto dollar).  In late 2010, I started really getting into Modern Chinese gold and silver when I noticed that I could buy them in the coin shops for a small percentage over spot price, but their actual value was much higher.  For an intensive year or so I did that, until most local and online dealers became more knowledgeable.  Over the past few years, I've been steadily trying to pick up single deals here and there.  I've been incrementally trimming some shares of stock that I think had become overpriced and reinvesting some of that in Chinese gold that I think has potential to increase in numismatic value.

I like how you had to start stuffing them in sideways.  :thumbup:

N27  That is interesting that you notice that.  When a safety deposit box at the bank gets full, I try to be very space efficient in my storage, so I don't need to rent another box.  I don't like having more recurring yearly fees than necessary.  Rest assured that each slab is protected in a plastic sheath, and some are also in archival storage bags.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Here is the proof version of the 1984 35th founding of PRC commemorative 3-coin set.  I found this set on ebay over 2 years ago and paid $100.  It has been the subject of previous posts.  I believe the value is around $10K but not sure since I have not check in a while

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
Here is the proof version of the 1984 35th founding of PRC commemorative 3-coin set.  I found this set on ebay over 2 years ago and paid $100.  It has been the subject of previous posts.  I believe the value is around $10K but not sure since I have not check in a while

Nice.  I am training my eye, in case I see something like these on eBay or in a coin shop.  I bet the price listed in Krause, the coin book that many US dealers reference is totally out of date, and if the piece doesn't come up that frequently on eBay (so no price reference in "sold items"), I imagine there is the potential to scoop up some deals.  I don't think most dealers are going to go on Chinese websites to get the latest pricing information.  Market knowledge is power.  (Or maybe these circulating pieces wouldn't be expected to show up in US coin market much, unlike pandas for which there was an export pipeline?). But the party would stop when somebody like NGC or PCGS start their own price guides for these coins, as they did with pandas, making the information widely available, and eliminating the knowledge gaps.  Or do I recall that Peter was going to add some circulating coin listing to his "Pricepedia" subscription newsletter?  I won't be paying a big premium for any of these coins, as I have limited knowledge, but I'll keep my eye out in case any US dealers have obviously mispriced pieces, such that there is a low risk and high reward potential.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 10:39:49 AM »
Are there other versions of this particular coin? For example non-proof, restrikes or fake? What is the metal or alloy? Thanks for answering.

Answer found. Low priced "non-proof" versions available on eBay. I guess the key word here is "proof". Does the UNC version have any investment potential? I picked up this ?non-proof  version on eBay some months ago. I just liked it.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
The business strike is very common because of the large mintage of 21 million. Sun's Catalog gives the price of 19 Yuan, about 3 US dollars. There is also the bank specimen, with a mintage of 15000, priced at 8000 Yuan. All this info is in Sun's Catalog.