Author Topic: 1928 Auto Dollar Varieties?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline seekingexpert

• Trade Count: (0)
1928 Auto Dollar Varieties?
« on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »
What is the difference between the 1928 2 Leaves (LM-609) and the rarer 3 leaves (LM-610)?

I have looked at pictures of both varieties and I cannot see a difference.

Thanks

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: 1928 Auto Dollar Varieties?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
I think it has to do with the blades of grass to the far right.

Offline Chinasmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 12:32:07 AM »
The Kann catalog lists 11 varieties of the Auto Dollar, including the 2 leaves (or blades of grass) and the 3 leaves varieties. The car also comes with 12 spokes in the tires or with 13/14 spokes. All these varieties mean that the mintage of this coin was fairly large. Nearly all known pieces are circulated. Uncirculated examples are extremely rare, and might not exist at all. Most of the uncirculated examples are well made, modern forgeries.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 04:45:25 AM »
The Kann catalog lists 11 varieties of the Auto Dollar, including the 2 leaves (or blades of grass) and the 3 leaves varieties. The car also comes with 12 spokes in the tires or with 13/14 spokes. All these varieties mean that the mintage of this coin was fairly large. Nearly all known pieces are circulated. Uncirculated examples are extremely rare, and might not exist at all. Most of the uncirculated examples are well made, modern forgeries.

Interesting.  Thank your for sharing.  I was not aware that there were so many varieties.  May I ask you which of the 11 varieties you would classify the auto dollar that I have, and for which I've attached an image?  Also, can you give me any idea of its relative scarcity, compared to the other varieties?  Are there significant pricing differences for any of the varieties, assuming equivalent condition?  Thanks again for contributing your insights to our forum.