Author Topic: MTB Panda Medal by the Shanghai Mint  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Alien

• Trade Count: (0)
MTB Panda Medal by the Shanghai Mint
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
 Take a look of this MTB panda medal by the Shanghai Mint. A unique small piece issued in 1988, with the design adopted for the 1990 issued 25 yuan 1/4 oz Pt panda coin. However, the seller's description on ebay is clearly not accurate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-1982-PANDA-GOLD-PLATED-MEDAL-IN-LUCITE-OFFICIAL-CHINA-MINT-PRODUCT-RARE-/221856619898?hash=item33a7af5d7a

Offline Alien

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: MTB Panda Medal by the Shanghai Mint
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »
I have a like new lucite curiosity purchased a few years ago for a couple bucks w/ some lunar medals in it.    There are a few on ebay on occasion.   The coin cannot be removed as far as i can see.   Does a lucite coin/medal have value or is it just a paper weight/curiosity?........

Offline Alien

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 07:43:41 PM »
Pandamonium asked a very interesting question. But asking the question in a different way, how much difference is there for a slabbed coin/medal  encased in a plastic holder from  that encapsulated in a Lucite cube?  This probably explains why some folks don’t like slabbed coins or medals, and do everything possible to rip them apart.  To me, they all have the same numismatic value.  Specifically for this panda medal, it provided solid evidence that the panda design of the 1/4oz (25 Yuan) platinum panda coin of 1990 by Bai Wenjun was originated from this medal, minted at least two years earlier than the date when the panda coin was issued. This is another example that a lot of MCCs used a design tested on medals first.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
To tell the truth i really like the lucite more than a slab.   Easy to see all angles.   Just don't want to drop and damage it where a slab can be replaced.  The one you linked is very attractive.   Dragonzeng has a set Ebay 151713116956 of early medal.   How in the heck did they make them?......

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:05 AM »
Ggoodluck has a few sets of lucite and they are not cheap so there must be demand.     Mine looks like maybe gilt? copper lunar.   1984 rat, 1985 oz, 1986 tiger, 1987 rabbit, 1988 dragon & 1989 snake in red felt box inside/outside w/ broken hinge, no coa.   Probably a cheapie but just a beauty.   Very attractive........how the heck did they get those coins in there and in the right spots?.........

Offline Alien

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
Interesting and it makes sense.   The wikipedia seems like a lot more work.   The last video makes it seem alot easier......