Author Topic: Any Experts for a Very Rare Coin?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline seekingexpert

• Trade Count: (0)
Any Experts for a Very Rare Coin?
« on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
I am sorry to be so incredibly ambiguous but I have a friend who is a very, very big coin collector. He is looking for an expert in 20th Century Chinese coinage. He is light on details but this is regarding ONE coin which apparently is a very, very rare coin. I know nothing over that but when when he says 'very, very rare' he is not exaggerating.

It is preferable this expert but somebody in the S.E US.

What constitutes an 'expert' is obviously subjective but he is seeking somebody who meets the very maximum of the word; somebody with extensive knowledge who has collected/graded/dealt in very high dollar Chinese coins before and is a well respected expert.

Please send me a message or reply to this thread.

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
Re: Any Experts for a Very Rare Coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
Please post photos obverse, reverse and edge.  Plus photo on a digital weight scale.   The experts here will tell you what it is........

Offline seekingexpert

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:57 PM »
They know what it is. These are seasoned collectors.

They are seeking an expert to help authenticate and grade.

Coin will not be posted as I am not even aware what is is but it is going to be a very rare coin and 'rare' to this collector are 5 digit and up coins.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
A high value coin in the hand of a very experienced collector eliminates the obvious fake scenario, so I think the logical step is to submit it to PCGS or NGC (NGC is in S. E. part of the States: Sarasota Florida) for authentification.  High value walkthrough fee is $250 for coin value up to $250,000.  With a coin in the 5 figure range, we can talk about it and give our opinions, but ultimately it definitely should go to PCGS or NGC for authentification and grade.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:30:16 PM »
Why does the coin need to be authenticated and graded? In order to be sold? I am not unbiased, but recommend NGC in Florida. If the coin will be auctioned the auctioneer can take care of sending the coin in for grading. The consignor can specify which service he/she wants to use.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline seekingexpert

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:25 PM »
Again these are seasoned guys who know what they are doing. They want an expert to hire to take with them to view a coin.

If they had the coin sitting in their safe they are full aware of how to use PCGS or NGC.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:22 PM »
Ah, I see now, and I assume the seller is unwilling to have the coin certified but ask for a large price?  This is a treacherous water indeed.

andrewlee10

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
reputable auction house can do the job.... why need to engage someone you are not familiar????

Offline seekingexpert

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »
Seller is willing but he is not interested in pursuing that. They want to buy the coin raw.

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 07:27:11 AM »
Now that you have us curious, what is the coin?   Gold kilo?  Silver?  Empire?  Ancient?   What is it made of and how old is it.   Give us a clue.......

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
This does seem odd.  Courting someone on an online forum, instead of turning to a business that specializes in grading and authenticating coins, and has high tech equipment to sniff out the latest fakes that are incredibly convincing.  Perhaps the buyer doesn't want the PCGS or NGC population numbers to increase for this rarity, or they don't want the existence of this coin to be publicized by the companies bragging in their public relations releases that they have graded it?  If such are the concerns you might contact one of the grading companies and see if you could work out a private job where they are paid very well to travel to authenticate the coin, but they are sworn to secrecy in the contract? 

Without having more information about this scenario you describe, there seem to be many ways for something bad to happen.  Be careful.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
This does seem odd.  Courting someone on an online forum, instead of turning to a business that specializes in grading and authenticating coins, and has high tech equipment to sniff out the latest fakes that are incredibly convincing.  Perhaps the buyer doesn't want the PCGS or NGC population numbers to increase for this rarity, or they don't want the existence of this coin to be publicized by the companies bragging in their public relations releases that they have graded it?  If such are the concerns you might contact one of the grading companies and see if you could work out a private job where they are paid very well to travel to authenticate the coin, but they are sworn to secrecy in the contract? 

Without having more information about this scenario you describe, there seem to be many ways for something bad to happen.  Be careful.
I have been trying to keep quiet about all this stuff! This may be genuine business but it is not being done the right way. If there is a valuable piece of work get it appraised and verified by NGC/PCGS. This is begining to get unnecessarily complex and concerning!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
Seller is willing but he is not interested in pursuing that. They want to buy the coin raw.

You need someone who is famiar with the coin and its packaging. There are dealers who fit this description. They could offer an opinion but I doubt any would guarantee it in writing like a grading service does. This is a very hazardous purchase under the conditions you describe. Original packaging usually means one or two layers of plastic around the coin. These are not ideal conditions to determine authenticity.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
To me this sounds like someone looking to buy a very rare coin on the cheap, like 10%-50% of true market value.  The buyer doesn't want the coin certified because that will educate the seller on condition, authenticity and market value. 

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
To me this sounds like someone looking to buy a very rare coin on the cheap, like 10%-50% of true market value.  The buyer doesn't want the coin certified because that will educate the seller on condition, authenticity and market value. 

Do we know the provenance of this coin?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline seekingexpert

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
I do not know the details but I asked for a little bit more.
Provenance is known in regards to the coins.
One of the TPG was approached but no private job.
They are ok with grading it but prefer not to at this time but won't exactly explain why.
The coin is indeed very, very rare and very expensive but no idea what it is except an early 20th century Chinese coin.

They are confident in the coin but want to find somebody with more knowledge to authenticate and give their opinion on grade.

Offline Tao-Panda

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
Which range of price ?

Offline seekingexpert

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
By the sounds of it will vary largely on grade but I squeezed out there is potential for 100k in the coin but that depends on grade and honestly it comes up for sale so little he is not very sure where it will fall.