Author Topic: New Member and General Question  (Read 5446 times)

Offline danny

• Trade Count: (0)
New Member and General Question
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:32:04 AM »
Hello everyone,

Am a new member from Ireland. Came across this Forum while researching MCC's. Am very impressed with the information here and some of the discussions I have read. Have started to dip my toes into the deep waters of this market and am hoping to gain insights and understanding from the many knowledgeable members here.

Was wondering what the general opinion is of the market prices at the moment for MCC's? Are they considered overvalued, undervalued or fair value? Had a look recently at an ebay auction for the 1987 3.3oz silver God of Longevity going for $2999. This to me seems high but was wondering what others think of this current offering in PF-69?

What, if any other coins on the market at the moment seem a good investment for the future?

Many thanks and looking forward to engaging in many discussions in the future:)

Danny :001_smile:

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: New Member and General Question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Danny

Welcome to the coin forum!  I hope you find this to be an appropriate forum to expand your interest in Modern Chinese Coins.

The 3.3oz silver God of Longevity medal has a wonderful design.  The price has varied over the past few years.  Recently, the number of listings on Ebay has drastically declined.  From my perspective, as a collector, the price mentioned is too high.   

Again, welcome and enjoy.

Mark Bonke

Offline danny

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark. Yes hope to learn a lot here, seems like there are lots of experienced members.

The 3.3 oz silver God of Longevity is a super little medal but am not prepared to pay the current listed price. The prices on many MCC over the last few years appear to be in a slight downward trend, or maybe thats my mistake!? It's always difficult to know what the right entry point is into a new (at least for me!) market.

Thanks again
Danny

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »
Danny,

I am not the authority on MCC prices, so take this with a grain of salt. If you can find the coins or medals you are looking for at a price point that feels right to you, I say buy them now. If/when gold rises again, I would anticipate that the price of MCC will again accelerate accordingly.

As for the 3.3oz god of longevity, I cannot give a well supported answer. The poster above, Mark Bonke, is quite knowledgeable and I would put some trust in his assessment of the price point you mentioned.

Hit me up if you want a 3.3 oz god of war/wealth  :laugh:

Take care, and welcome to the forum.

Offline danny

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »
Hi Mirkkanen,

Thanks for the message. Yes I would tend to agree with you about price point but it does help if you know the market a little. I haven't had long enough to see how the 3.3 oz God of Longevity has been trading. I guess thats why it's good to get the opinion on someone like Bonke, as u say he has been around longer.

I recently picked up a 3.3oz god of war PF69 UC for $875. That seemed like a fair price to me and i didn't hesitate making the purchase. There is a big difference between $875 and $2999. I know the mintage is less for the longevity medal but not by much. I have also read some of Badon's comments that he believes the actual no. of God of war medals is less than the official mintage no. I guess $2999 just feels a little steep for me but then again I don't know the history of it's price performance.

You touched on another point I was going to ask: whether the value/price of MCC's move in sync with the spot price of gold? Is there a definite general trend with this, it would be good to know?

Thanks again for the message.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
The answer to your last question is, "while MCC prices are often influenced by theeyals' spot prices, more often factors such as buying programs in China are what move the market for MCC. These, and other China-exclusive events seem to happen every 3 to 6 months, rotating sectors.

Offline danny

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »
Can you explain a bit more about "buying programs" in China? And what type of China-exclusive events usually happen every 3-6 months?

andrewlee10

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 01:15:35 AM »
Price too high for my personal view.

Mcc and medal are not easy to liquidate especially the big items.

Examine your intention of collection before decide making. Consider all factors. Collection vs investment is totally different.

I am seller and collector

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Hello everyone,

Am a new member from Ireland. Came across this Forum while researching MCC's. Am very impressed with the information here and some of the discussions I have read. Have started to dip my toes into the deep waters of this market and am hoping to gain insights and understanding from the many knowledgeable members here.

Was wondering what the general opinion is of the market prices at the moment for MCC's? Are they considered overvalued, undervalued or fair value? Had a look recently at an ebay auction for the 1987 3.3oz silver God of Longevity going for $2999. This to me seems high but was wondering what others think of this current offering in PF-69?

What, if any other coins on the market at the moment seem a good investment for the future?

Many thanks and looking forward to engaging in many discussions in the future:)

Danny :001_smile:

Hi, MCC prices fell along with bullion prices a few years ago. It is not clear to me if the MCC prices have stopped falling or even increasing at this point although there may be an additional factor of the seasonal summer slow down operational at present. The continuing falling bullion prices is an undercurrent no one should ignore despite how 'resilient' current MCC pricing seems to be now.

You probably can't buy a high priced item right now and expect it to increase in value rapidly unless wafted along by a newly emerged speculative bubble.

If you are a collector, the price of an item probably does not matter, you buy what you like at what seems to you a reasonable price.

If you are an investor or speculator it is easier to 'make money' by buying lower priced items usually new releases. There is a large number of individuals actively and aggressively researching eBay and the internet in real time. You are unlikely to hit a jackpot unless you fortuitously happen to be at a website within seconds of the listing of an undervalued item by a naive seller.

If you have been buying non-MCC items previously your experience is likely to be useful here too.

Goodluck and best of wishes!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline danny

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
Hi KeepOnTrying,

Thanks for the reply. Useful information. I wanted to get involved with MCC's partly due to the falling bullion prices. Was looking for some diversity in my metal portfolio. Just really love the designs and the history behind the coins. Am not a flipper more a collector/ long term investor. I suppose just hoping the MCC market will evolve over time with more interest from US/European and Chinese collectors.

Thanks again