Author Topic: A closer look at 'Wide Bottom' and 'Narrow Bottom' varieties of the 1996 proof  (Read 1306 times)

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
On page 238 of Peter Anthony's book (2nd edition) is the two varieties of the 1996 silver 10 yuan proof panda labelled 'Wide Bottom' and 'Narrow Bottom'.  At the first glance they appeared to be just another example of fur pattern variations that occurred in just about every panda type.  Because it is minted by Shenyang, I thought it would be interesting to overlay the two and see if there any text shift.  Lo and behold, there are subtle shift in the "10 yuan" and "Ag" text relative to the fixed red arrows (see the animated GIF below), so they are truly significant varieties produced by different dies.  Looking over a sample of 20 NGC photos, I can see only those two fur patterns with the corresponding text shift.  At this moment the two varieties are recognized by PCGS, but not NGC.  IMO, NGC should recognize them.

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
Thank you for this nice animated GIF, SANDAC.
By the way, could you let me know the grade of both coins you use for the animation ?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Thank you for this nice animated GIF, SANDAC.
By the way, could you let me know the grade of both coins you use for the animation ?
The .gif is labeled: 3686177-089vs3913406-003.gif
One is labeled as a MS69 & the other PF69.

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
Thank you.
I have not had a look at the file's name :blushing:

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
This month's MCC varieties is the 1996 proof silver 10Y panda.
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6291/Modern-Chinese-Varieties-1996-Silver-10Y-Panda/
NGC refers them as "wide gap" and "narrow gap", but they are the same as Peter's "wide bottom" and "narrow bottom".  The "narrow gap" is more common, roughly 3 out of 4 are narrow gap.  While the width of the bottom is the diagnostic, IMO it is the shifting "10 yuan" and "Ag" texts that are more significant.

Offline GoldenLord

• Trade Count: (+6)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-China-10Y-Panda-NGC-PF-69-No-Toning-Perfect-Silver-Coin/132365812882?hash=item1ed19e0492:g:d5QAAOSwjKFZSJEv

That coin was sold quick after the release of the News from ngc.
I think, both varietes coast nearly the same.