Author Topic: Is Ebay no longer a reliable source for modern Chinese coins?  (Read 5389 times)

Online jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: Is Ebay no longer a reliable source for modern Chinese coins?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 08:32:11 AM »
well said   !!   Anyone want to see the 1989 ny gold  expo  in a chinese holder i got burned for  $350  on about 7 or 8 years back :) I keep it prominently out om my desk to remind myself  BE CAREFUL!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 08:49:10 AM »
Way to many fake coins on eBay.  However I just bought a sealed 1/10 platinum 1993 panda on eBay. I paid $350.  I just had it certified and it graded a ngc pr69.  I would say that was a deal.  But this is a very rare occurrence.  There are some (few) deals if we know what we are looking for.  Platinum pandas are very rare in numbers so I think they are less counterfeited opposed to the silver pandas.  I just don't know where else to look besides eBay.  I know this forum is a great spot but we all know our coins here. 

I think almost everyone on this forum could share a story about how they got burned by a fake, lost some money, or had to spend time and frustration getting a refund.   The day that I say that I know my coins is the day that I think I  will be vulnerable to the next generation, high quality fake, or to some scam.  I just try to stay vigilant and informed, and minimize the downside.   Fortunately, I think the total costs of fakes I got stuck with (didn't catch them in time for a return) amounts to less than $100 overall.  But I will share this tale of when I almost got burned for >$10,000.  http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=9335.0  Thank goodness I followed my gut and paid by paypal instead of sending the bank wire the scamster wanted.   N8

We all need to stay vigilant and humble, and share our hard-earned lessons with each other.   N13

Paul4444 might be saying that coins sold at forums like this are likely to have been well researched by the seller with the most allowed price asked for. This is unlike on eBay and local coin/pawnshops where you come across bargains from time to time, like he did. But I may be mistaken!  :scared:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Online jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:17:09 PM »
well here you go  here comes the flood of gold panda fakes and dubious sellers we start with the 1982 gold panda with several low feedback chinese sellers hawking them now on e bay some with pictures of genuine coins and others with the fakes
and a perennial favorite of these scum sucking cheaters  the 1989 expo gold panda all over ebay  201475581964 check out the watermark on this photo :( 

Offline PandaBear

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
Im appalled by the lack of empathy on eBay part on fake coins but then again I never really liked eBay anyways.