Author Topic: New Savoy Bar at 1166 Bubbling Well Road  (Read 1078 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
New Savoy Bar at 1166 Bubbling Well Road
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
Before I will say about New Savoy Bar. I would like to say something about Bubbling Well Road.

Today Nanjing Road is the world's longest shopping district, around 5.5km long, and attracts over 1 million visitors daily. But in 1862 in old Shanghai was know under name "Nanking Road" which was given by the Municipal Council, which administered the International Settlement.

In 1943 the International Settlement was annulled and when the World War II was over the government changed the name from Nanking Road to today's East Nanjing Road. The former Bubbling Well Road was also renamed to West Nanjing Road.

The Bubbling Well Road was a center of activity for the Fourth Marines. One of such of places was New Savoy Bar located at 1166 Bubbling Well Road. The place was very popular in 1939. But the building is gone...However this beautiful 10 cents (10 fen) nickel-plated brass token reminds about bright past of this place in old Shanghai.

You must be wondering from where such of name of the road came from? My speculation and the information which I found is that there were some numbers of boiling wells (kind of hot spings) on Bubbling Well Road where on the people can see a lot of bubbles on the surface of the water in wells and it caught a lot of attention of people, which you can see on the pictures from the different period of time in old Shanghai.

I hope you enjoy reading this short piece of article about New Savoy Bar token.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)