Author Topic: 2 varieties of the Nanjing mint panda 2014 copper medal  (Read 20943 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: 2 varieties of the Nanjing mint panda 2014 copper medal
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
Barsenault has decided to stop posting on CCF. From historical precedent this may be temporary and we could see him return and resume posting. Or it may be permanent. Dialogue is dialogue; a discussion amongst people with opposing views on a subject. If there is appropriate give and take there is always a chance at a consensus being arrived at eventually. But that is as long as the rules of healthy discuss are adhered to.

Points that were made by all parties to the discussion were all instructive in various ways either positive or negative. I don't know which records will remain on the CCF archives given requests for deletion of certain items. Only time will tell and readers will have the opportunity to decide based on the facts as hopefully documented in the archives.

This has been a long running discussion on how to navigate safely what has turned out to be figuratively, shark infested waters on which both golden age and yuppie MCCM are floating. Principles that pertain to the golden age MCC may not be directly translatable to the new age MCCM. With cordial discussions we can figure out where the quicksand is and protect ourselves from losing our hard earned money chasing after rigged/speculative coin investments in which the winner is who bails out just before the bubble bursts!

Barsenault brought a spark of cheer to this forum!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2015, 10:47:50 PM »
Respect!
There are no two ways about it. Civility is essential in especially large group discussions as we have here. Without it chaos reigns supreme and our thoughts become even more muddled. I am someone who believes that not just all deserve to be respected but the highly accomplished amongst us deserve even more of it.

I have unfortunately responded hot under the collar to posts by two respected members of this community. I subsequently apologized to both publicly and privately. The apologies were not out of fear but as a result of a realization that I could have done a better job explaining myself in a more acceptable manner. In such misguided situations it did not matter if I was right or wrong.

There are several forum members who share their knowledge and expertise generously with other members and visitors to the site. Some even stick out their neck, so to speak, even when they run the risk of ridicule for opining on "sensitive" subjects. They make out time from what may be an already busy schedule to provide information that may not make more money for them but could help others make more informed decisions regarding what to buy or not. They also provide helpful advice on coin identification and a myriad of issues.

We don't have to agree and accept all they say BUT they deserve to be respected!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »
Me too!

As someone who started on many medal topics, the Classical Garden series included, I would like anyone who intends to "invest" in recent medals to be extremely careful. I wrote in my blog that in terms of investment return, the top EARLY medals did not lose out to the top early silver coins. But with the massive number of privately commissioned new medals, there is no way to tell which will be the top ones. Artificially induced low mintage/rarity does not guarantee the medal to come out on top in the long run. In fact rarity does not count with recent issues because of the very obvious manipulation on the part of the sponsors. (This view goes against the hyping on some other site.) With new issues, profit comes from short term speculation, as some dealers/distributors are doing right now. If someone seeks long term investment gains with medals, go for the top early ones, from the 80's. Otherwise just enjoy the beauty of some of the recent issues (not the bald pandas though), forgetting about the price gain.

The 800Ib gorilla in the room has to be acknowledged! CCF came through a bad patch years ago and every well meaning forum member is loathe to have a repeat performance or offshoots of, happen here again.

I wasn't here then but I have picked up enough information to get a gist of what happened. I don't have to cast the stone of blame at anyone because there may be other parties involved who are as yet unidentified or may never be identified. It appears that some even had multiple identities!

But, looking across the street it is difficult not arriving at similar conclusions, drawing contemporary evidence from what is playing out in front of us in real time. The cacophony around a narrow spectrum of coins and medals and uncritical acceptance and trumpeting of "virtues" of these items has an uncanny semblance to activities of old.

This does not mean that we should not talk about the new low mintage medals that are being released several times a year. This is a conversation we need to have and on a continued basis. This cannot be misconstrued as an ongoing battle between the golden age coin collectors and investors and the new-age yuppies. This should not happen at CCF. This is the only way in which we can accurately characterize these numismatic products so that both members and guests to the forum can have a more balanced view and make more informed decisions on what to buy and why.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
KOT!

Saying less is more, sometimes. (chew on that for a second)

Quality instead of quantity. Some of the things other members said (criticized) about you might have been missed by you. Are you here just to opine? If so, remember opinion is just like you-know-what, everybody has one. Try not to expose it too much to limit the stench - unless you have the uncontrollable urge to editorialize every topic and conversation, in addition to the ones you started. In case you haven't noticed, there's no vacant "editor" position open on CCF. So, if that's what you're auditioning, keep on trying here is just a waste of time. So far, (as far as I can see) you posts are just a bunch of "writing" without substance. That said, the sheer volume of your posts will earn you a "hero member" in no time. Congrats !!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 12:13:35 AM »
This does not mean that we should not talk about the new low mintage medals that are being released several times a year. This is a conversation we need to have and on a continued basis. This cannot be misconstrued as an ongoing battle between the golden age coin collectors and investors and the new-age yuppies. This should not happen at CCF. This is the only way in which we can accurately characterize these numismatic products so that both members and guests to the forum can have a more balanced view and make more informed decisions on what to buy and why.
I believe the answer is already in my post. We can talk about the good and bad sides of newly released medals, including their low mintage. But if you want to invest, pick the early ones or coins. Those are better bets, unless you have access to the inventory at release prices and can make quick money on them through speculation. Their long-term investment potential is unknown at the moment.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 12:49:24 AM »
I believe the answer is already in my post. We can talk about the good and bad sides of newly released medals, including their low mintage. But if you want to invest, pick the early ones or coins. Those are better bets, unless you have access to the inventory at release prices and can make quick money on them through speculation. Their long-term investment potential is unknown at the moment.

This is exactly what I do whenever I can; I buy early year coins and medals and have been lucky to pick up choice pieces from time to time. But I have also bought post-2010 coins and medals. I have bought the latter coins for their bullion value and at times just for collection. The medals have been mainly for my collection but I keep an eye on possible appreciation potential.

I often add beneficiary considerations (as you are aware of) when purchasing some of the new age coins and medals. I hope this will stimulate their interest in collecting more MCCMs when these pass on to them in future. I do not favor or buy into the rapid-valuation-appreciation school of thought. I have also in previous posts decried the rapid escalation of pricing on many of the new releases, because it is not sustainable.

I have also NEVER sold any coin or medal in my possession. Most of my life's investments have been made outside coins and medals. I just discovered and like collecting MCCMs, with discretionary income!