Author Topic: 2015 Panda Lunar Goat - Video - Beautiful medal  (Read 21515 times)

barsenault

• Trade Count: (0)
2015 Panda Lunar Goat - Video - Beautiful medal
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »
299 Minted.  999 Silver. 2 oz. 1st in series. Next up, Lunar Monkey. Design is being worked on presently.  Enjoy.
Peter Anthony recently mentioned this medal in pricepedia.

https://youtu.be/1N3R6LYW6zM

barsenault

Re: 2015 Panda Lunar Goat - Video - Beautiful medal
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
I guess technically this is the first medal with 'Lunar Panda.'  :thumbup:  And man, oh, man, what a nice medal it is. 88 HK Medal.   N3
We are eagerly awaiiting the 2nd in the new series called, Lunar Panda Series (Monkey), coming in the next few months. Rumor is, there should also be an Antique Silver version (99) and Gold (10)  Can't wait until 2024 when the Dragon Panda is released.  :tongue_smilie:

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Is there a way to tell which medals are commissioned by official government entries due to sufficient events/reasons from another Joe Blow down the street with money and connection to the mints?

barsenault

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:02:46 PM »
I'm curious to know the answer too.  Thanks Panda/Lunar.  Also, as you well know, I think there are a lot of medals, nice ones like the classial garden series, that's commissioned by private investors.  Is it less inferior than 'official enteries?'  Before anyone lambastes me, that is a sincere question.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
I'm curious to know the answer too.  Thanks Panda/Lunar.  Also, as you well know, I think there are a lot of medals, nice ones like the classial garden series, that's commissioned by private investors.  Is it less inferior than 'official enteries?'  Before anyone lambastes me, that is a sincere question.
It has more to do with who the designer and engraver is than who initiates the program or where it is minted. Quite a few retired Shanghai Mint and Shenyang Mint artists have been working for private mints, like Chen Jian who designed the Year of the Child series and many pandas, and Song Wenyuan who designed the first lunar Rooster and the award-winning Marco Polo coins. Do their works (medals) lose appeal because they are not minted by official mints? The designers and engravers of the Classical Garden series are all top artists from Shanghai Mint and the China Bank Note Printing and Coin Making Co. That ensures the quality and artistic value. With medals, as with other artwork, the artist is more important than the venue or the sponsor/commissioner. Who remembers the commissioner of Mozart's Requiem?

barsenault

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
It has more to do with who the designer and engraver is than who initiates the program or where it is minted. Quite a few retired Shanghai Mint and Shenyang Mint artists have been working for private mints, like Chen Jian who designed the Year of the Child series and many pandas, and Song Wenyuan who designed the first lunar Rooster and the award-winning Marco Polo coins. Do their works (medals) lose appeal because they are not minted by official mints? The designers and engravers of the Classical Garden series are all top artists from Shanghai Mint and the China Bank Note Printing and Coin Making Co. That ensures the quality and artistic value. With medals, as with other artwork, the artist is more important than the venue or the sponsor/commissioner. Who remembers the commissioner of Mozart's Requiem?

Who is Mozart?  hehehe.  Frank, this makes perfect sense.  And it is a quote I will print out and put on my desk as a reminder of why I buy certain medals.

IMHO - and that's humble opinion, those words you share are gems, and a good reminder for all of us interested in medals/coins.  Thanks much. 

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 03:41:55 PM »
It has more to do with who the designer and engraver is than who initiates the program or where it is minted. Quite a few retired Shanghai Mint and Shenyang Mint artists have been working for private mints, like Chen Jian who designed the Year of the Child series and many pandas, and Song Wenyuan who designed the first lunar Rooster and the award-winning Marco Polo coins.
Is there a historical guide to the artists who contributed to the works of the Chinese mints?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:04:47 PM »
Is there a historical guide to the artists who contributed to the works of the Chinese mints?
Large copper medals from these mints have pretty complete records of their artists. Artists for the well-known coin-size medals are also easy to track down. But the information for artists who designed and engraved the precious metal coins is scattered here and there. Most catalogs do not list the artists, only the mint.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:50:54 PM »
But the information for artists who designed and engraved the precious metal coins is scattered here and there. Most catalogs do not list the artists, only the mint.
Something of this nature would be an important contribution...

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
When the Yuan rises in power later this year then it looks like all coins/medals minted in China will have big value.   The line between private mint and official mint is diluted.    Rules keep changing as the market progresses......

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
Something of this nature would be an important contribution...
It really depends on how you treat MCC. If they are treated as numismatic items (though never in circulation), who design and engrave them is not that important. Currency/money is not really collected for their artistic value. If you see them as artwork, yes, it would be a basic requirement to know who worked on that piece of art.

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 07:29:45 PM »
When the Yuan rises in power later this year then it looks like all coins/medals minted in China will have big value.   The line between private mint and official mint is diluted.    Rules keep changing as the market progresses......

Don't you mean "If the yuan..."?

Or do you have a newer crystal ball than I do?

Mine is telling me the crisis in Europe isn't fixed and initially the USD rises.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
Interesting...can you please elaborate? What is your own crisis ball view? I mean is your own?

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »
Interesting...can you please elaborate? What is your own crisis ball view? I mean is your own?

My crystal ball doesn't exist of course.

I have read some analysis that the Euro is truly doomed. The time line may be over the next few years. The Euro may lose all or most of its value.

There has already been an episode of this approx July 2014 to February 2015. The Euro lost 30% of its value. 15% was lost January and February 2015. The Swiss also lost their peg and the Dutch seem to be having some challenges defending their peg.

Now that Cameron has been reelected in the UK he will review the UK's membership in the EU.

None of this is very positive.

So my esteemed colleague thinks the yuan will rise.  

But that's not what happened July 2014-February 2015 and the US dollar was on a tear. Looks like Euro weakness creates dollar strength to me.

The yuan will have its day after the last USD blowout top. For example Martin Armstrong, an analyst, projected US weakness in 2017-18. Maybe the yuan will start to appreciate 2018?

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »
My opinion .until the markets feel that the yuan is not pegged and manipulated by China it will have issues ,of course the USD can be said to be be manipulated but it is the most transparent universally recognized benchmark in the world today , as everyone knows after the libor interest rate fiasco it looks as if all financial markets are subject to manipulation....  that being said USD is a long ways away from being replaced by another currency. The euro most probably was some form of candidate or hope for dollar haters:) but  IMHO has a very reasonable chance of being dismantled. RMB has a longgggggggggggggggg  way to go to ever be even as universally accepted as widely as the Euro. Rise to power ???? that is a ways away. China,s smartest people or at least its wealthiest seem to do everything in there power to minimize the real risk and fear of their holding of RMB.