Author Topic: Chekiang unreported date  (Read 1410 times)

Offline ScottSemans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Chekiang unreported date
« on: March 04, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
10 Cents Year 12, but all catalogs show Year 13 only.  2.63gm, 18.70mm.  Does not appear to be altered or cast.  Photo is 20x.  Silver quality does not appear to be too good, but that is a characteristic of this mint.  Dong Wenchao says 70%.  Was it a practice of forgers at this time to make some change like this in design?  Ideas?

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Chekiang unreported date
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

IMO, this is an altered coin. Please see the 3 in a genuine 1924 (year of 13) coin as shown in the marked area. The bottom two lines of 3 are identical to 2 in your coin, both in position and style.

Offline ScottSemans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Re: Chekiang unreported date
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 12:13:15 PM »
Thank you, poconopen, for the good comparison photo.  It also shows the sharp details of a genuine one vs my soft-looking coin.  I know it came out of China in 1958, ruling out a forgery by recent techniques.  My guess: an altered original coin, this was then cast from it.  What might be the motivation - to create a numismatic rarity for collectors of the 1940s-50s in China, or might a forger of circulating coins around 1923 have thought to escape "the letter" of the law by creating a piece that never existed, thus not technically a forgery?  I have heard of this logic among forgers elsewhere.