Author Topic: Fantasy 1/2 Tael Kwangtung Kann-B35  (Read 4259 times)

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+14)
Fantasy 1/2 Tael Kwangtung Kann-B35
« on: February 08, 2015, 12:41:01 AM »
Hello

I have found three auctions of this coin. Why is there such a huge gap in the pricing between the MS 62 and the MS 61 (because it was the first one auctioned?)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361124605791
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361098911546
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331350215812

Since all of them seem to be the 1/2 Tael - how does the one Tael look like - what is the difference?

Thanks a lot.

Sasushi

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Re: Fantasy 1/2 Tael Kwangtung Kann-B35
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
I remembered Clark Smith has two Kwangtung fantasy taels recently.  I just checked now, the 1 tael B34 was sold already; the 1 tael B36 is still available at $5500.  I have seen crude fakes regularly so it is nice to have the genuine ones for reference.

Offline sasushi

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:54 PM »
I wonder which price this one will achieve it it the second NGC MS 63 graded (highest grade)......
http://www.stacksbowers.com/BrowseAuctions/LotDetail/tabid/227/AuctionID/6106/Lot/52495/Default.aspx

Offline sasushi

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:19:05 AM »
The lot was withdrawn. I am still wondering what the current market pricing is.

Here comes another chance:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/china/world-coins/coming-soon-/p/3043-23009.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I found a page about this coin in a Chinese coin book in mandarin, which I cant read . When I have time I will post it.

regards

Sasushi

Offline Chinasmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:24 AM »
These three sales are suspicious. All from the same seller. Because this is not a real coin, it could have been made at any time. Most Chinese fantasy coins were made in the 1930's when the price of silver was at an all time low and the provincial mints were no longer in operation -- at least not officially. So a fantasy made 5 years ago is just as "real" as one made in the 1930's. Those made in more recent times are often of better quality than the old ones. Also newly made pieces will show no wear or damage. If these prices are real, it is simply a matter of quality. The winning bidder wants the best quality example available. There are also many unknowledgable buyers in China and elsewhere today, who are just buying for speculation; the coins they buy show up in auctions again in 6 months to a year. Also be aware that any grade followed by the word "details" means there is some kind of problem with the coin.

Offline sasushi

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:44:16 PM »
Thanks for your input Chinasmith.
Since my mandarin is bad (not existent) - could you maybe help me with the book where this Fantasy Coin is described.

Thanks in advance.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:08:56 PM »
These three sales are suspicious. All from the same seller. Because this is not a real coin, it could have been made at any time. Most Chinese fantasy coins were made in the 1930's when the price of silver was at an all time low and the provincial mints were no longer in operation -- at least not officially. So a fantasy made 5 years ago is just as "real" as one made in the 1930's. Those made in more recent times are often of better quality than the old ones. Also newly made pieces will show no wear or damage. If these prices are real, it is simply a matter of quality. The winning bidder wants the best quality example available. There are also many unknowledgable buyers in China and elsewhere today, who are just buying for speculation; the coins they buy show up in auctions again in 6 months to a year. Also be aware that any grade followed by the word "details" means there is some kind of problem with the coin.

I agree. All NGC and PCGS graded coin mentioned in this thread are questionable. In Kann’s book B-34, B-35 and B-36 have a totally different design from the coins graded by NGC and PCGS. None of those coins is half tael. In fact, I believe no Kwangtung half Tael coin was mentioned in Kann’s book or Lin&Ma’s book, unless my book is out of date.

Thanks for your input Chinasmith.
Since my mandarin is bad (not existent) - could you maybe help me with the book where this Fantasy Coin is described.

Thanks in advance.

This is an one tael pattern coin in commemorating the 60th birthday of Queen Ci Xi. (Kann 932 and L&M140). Fake of this one tael coin (Kann F-932) was in the market place as early as 1940, according to Kann.

Fantasy coins were discussed in Kann’s book, not in Lin & Ma’s book.

Offline sasushi

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
Thanks poconopenn. I think too that all the grading titles are wrong (from ngc). But in the last auction of heritage, heritage got at least the Kann nr correct (in the description). It's a Kann-B35. I found it too in the KANN book (part 3).
There is ,as far as I can see, one chinese sign which is always different (at 7 o'clock) - I only had a quick look, maybe there are more differences. So can heritage, ngc and clark all be wrong and sell/grade something what is not that what it seems..???
@Chinasmith the seller still sells a lots of chinese coins - mostly in the range between 100 and 2000 USD - sometimes more, and has more the 1800 positive feedbacks - why do you think he is questionable?