Author Topic: The PCGS Holder Effect on Gold Pandas  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
The PCGS Holder Effect on Gold Pandas
« on: February 05, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »
Many modern Chinese panda coins (I'm referring to gold) undergo significant "transformations" after being encapsulated within PCGS slabs.

Chinese gold coins seem to undergo chemical processes within their PCGS slabs that either 1) do not happen within NGC slabs, or 2) happen at a much slower rate.

My main question is, would the coins that undergo significant "transformations" after being encapsulated within PCGS slabs also have changed if they were simply cut out of their OMP and left exposed to air? in other words, might being encapsulated in a PCGS slab actually be WORSE for a gold panda than removing it from OMP and leaving as is?

Would these coins have morphed if encapsulated within NGC slabs?

There must be a problem with PCGS's recent slab technology that was not present in their older slabs. When I see a PCGS 70, I simply assume that in a year it will be a 69 or a 68, so I do either do not buy or I do not pay 70-price. One cannot count upon the coin's eye appeal remaining constant within a PCGS slab.

Anyone care to share some thoughts on this issue?

(Zoom in on the picture below to check out the trifecta of change: 1) black spots, 2) hazing, and 3) red toning around the entire raised rim)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:54:44 PM by Mirkkanen »

Offline Tao-Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The PCGS Holder Effect on Gold Pandas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 07:18:33 AM »
I do not know if it is usual but the posted image shows an old PCGS holder.
I hope it cannot happen with the latest PCGS holder.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: The PCGS Holder Effect on Gold Pandas
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »
I have also experienced this. I haven't seen it in recent versions but I have seen it primarily in 2010/2012 packages.

Here's one of mine. It is orange. I wonder if this comes off with conservation. I have seen the same thing you mention in the 2010 with the hazing, but no patina.