Author Topic: Martin Weiss discusses the creation of the Unicorns and the IDOC series  (Read 18018 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
In this NGC video, Martin Weiss speaks about the creation of both the Unicorn and Inventions and Discoveries of China series. With Chinese subtitles.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODgwMTYwMDI0.html?qq-pf-to=pcqq.group

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Martin Weiss discusses the creation of the Unicorns and the IDOC series
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »
In my opinion, Martin Weiss was the most important foreign dealer to influence the development of modern Chinese collector coins. His talent for marketing is exceptional. This NGC video that I made is based on a recorded conversation in 2014. In it you can get a sense of the creativity and joy that he brought to the modern Chinese coin market in the 1980s and 1990s. Mr. Weiss is the last person alive who can tell us first-hand the details of many meetings that led to significant China Mint decisions. I am very grateful to NGC for its support to allow Mr. Weiss to share his recollections with our community. I invite you all to view the video and enjoy this really special friend of Chinese numismatics.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:25:23 PM by PandaCollector »

Offline Dan Panda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
I thoroughly enjoyed Marty's video done by NGC.

The history behind the IDOC coin series is fascinating to me.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
M Weiss had a huge influence on MCC.    This following set was posted on this forum Ebay 191816714990  &  121904775246   It is a I & D set put together by PA then some sold to a distributor in Germany.    The prize is the big 5 oz 1993 S50Y Yin Yang Philosophy or Fu Lu Shou,  Mr Ge 800 mint.      The other big 5 oz silver 1994 Dog or Shar pei was probably minted by US mint for this set.  It has a  ASH  mint mark on it.   350 sets planned.    Any sets melted due to poor sales as mentioned on another CCF post?   The set also had a carved dragon and 12 I & D silvers, box/coa.....     Of course China Mint sets are the priority probably followed by private China mint sets.    Distributors sets are in last place if considered collecting at all.   My question:    Future demand for MCC will outstrip supply at some point.    Due to M Weiss's influence on MCC, will a M Weiss set become collectible?    Will the above I & D sets have collectible value as it could be considered a M Weiss set?    When demand rises, and the Chinese collecting craze begins will these forgotten sets become popular?   Is that possible?...........

Offline BubbaJones

A couple of Martin Wiess videos (English). Fascinating.

I&D
http://youtu.be/DY2oENo6GVQ

Panda Series
http://youtu.be/JnjAJ97sF8k