Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 191208 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #420 on: April 13, 2016, 09:39:26 PM »
I would  just like some dialogue on this problem that numerous  people are having with KOT and certain  moderators.

David, judging from the content of the screenshot you posted, you seem to have made yourself unwelcome at a different forum, owing to hostile behavior.  The overall content and tone of your posts at this forum over the past few months has been detrimental to our environment, such that a number of your posts have needed to be deleted.  You have sent numerous private messages to moderators that lack evidence to back claims of injustices and misdeeds.  The greater problem at this forum seems to be you, as I have not heard from "numerous people" about issues.  Indeed, the overall activity at the forum over the past many months has been excellent, with diverse contributions from people with varied expertise and interests and with largely collegial exchanges.

If you can't be a civil and constructive member here, perhaps you should find another forum.  This is just one moderator's opinion.  I have lost patience, and I've spent too much time on issues associated with you.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2016, 01:28:13 AM »
Medal Depiction of  Sections of the Summer Palace

Key parts of the Summer Palace Garden are identifiable on the 2014 medal. I can’t say that I know them all but I have indicated the ones I can identify. Please feel free to point out any other areas I have missed.

1: Marble Boat.
2: Long Corridor.
3: Longevity Hill with the Tower of Buddhist Incense.
4: Heralding Spring Pavilion.
5: Wenchang Tower.
6: Kuoru Pavilion.
7: 17-Arch Bridge.
8: Nanhu Island.
9: Kunming Lake with both traditional and modern water craft.
10: East Causeway.

The tortoise shape formed by Nanhu island (body), 17-Arch bridge (neck) and Kuoru Pavilion (head) is well demonstrated on the medal and has been described in the literature.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Couldn't resist it so I grabbed the following url from an excellent posting by TomG on another thread. This leads to a brief biographical note of the Empress Dowager Cixi. She was instrumental to the survival and reconstruction of the Summer Palace after its destruction during the 1860 Second Opium war and the 1900 Boxer rebellion. I often wish she could have also repaired the Old Summer Palace but that would have taken several times more resources compared to that used for the Summer Palace. http://primaltrek.com/blog/2011/08/10/empress-dowager-cixi-commemorative-coin/

This is the thread I grabbed it from (Thanks TomG  N40): http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=12321.msg72893;topicseen#msg72893

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #423 on: April 16, 2016, 01:19:36 AM »
Liuyuan brass proof. Only axial lighting can bring out all the details.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #424 on: April 16, 2016, 05:52:38 AM »
I made comments some posts back that this medal had a photographic quality to it. It is so lifelike that you could imagine a light shower of snow on the roofs of the buildings by the water's edge!

On the other side of the medal the lighting shows that the field is textured rather than just a plain flat depiction of the sky.

Bravo!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #425 on: April 16, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
This is a more detailed but easily read biographical sketch of the Empress Dowager Cixi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

I am posting a screenshot of her photo from the same wikipedia page.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #426 on: April 29, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
I understand that a book is being planned by the organizers of the Chinese Classical Garden medal series. I have confirmed this with fwang2450. The book is expected to be released before the end of 2016.

I have not verified whether it will be printed in Mandarin, English or both.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #427 on: April 29, 2016, 04:38:39 PM »
I understand that a book is being planned by the organizers of the Chinese Classical Garden medal series. I have confirmed this with fwang2450. The book is expected to be released before the end of 2016.

I have not verified whether it will be printed in Mandarin, English or both.
It will be in Mandarin only. No plan to translate it.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:04 AM »
Using data from fwang2450’s tables I have complied another Table to illustrate trend lines for all the medal types.

The spike in mintage numbers for the Summer Palace Corridor and Yuanmingyuan medals is accounted for mainly by increased mintage of the brass H85 and Gilt Brass medals respectively.

The key medals* for Lan Ting, Mountain Resort and Liuyuan Gardens are much sought after. I am not sure of the situation with other key medals.

Once the last medal of the series is released in 2017 there should be a better picture of how well the whole series has done.

*The gold and copper medals are not generally available to the public (apart from the Xiequyuan medal) and cannot be regarded as key medals.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Here are the plaster models of the ongoing Zhuozhengyuan medals, engraved by Lin Feng.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #430 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:41 PM »
Here are the plaster models of the ongoing Zhuozhengyuan medals, engraved by Lin Feng.

The rockery seems to be the highest point on the ?reverse of the proposed medal. Will there be any change in coin/medal packaging to prevent the equivalent of “face rub” happening to these rocks as a result of the medal sliding around in the rigid plastic coin holder?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »
I came across more photos I took at the Summer Palace Garden with features which relate to the layout of the medal as shown here: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11056.msg72892#msg72892

I wish I knew about this medal series before I made that trip. Hopefully I'll be back there someday!

I am keeping the photo file size as large as possible for clarity. I'll upload the files one at a time.

The attached photo shows the east entrance to the Long Corridor.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
This is the signage that is seen at the left side of the above photo of the east entrance.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2016, 11:12:17 PM »
If you face south while at the Long Corridor you will get this view of Kunming Lake with Nanhu Island and the 17-Arch bridge in the distance. Visibility was poor that day.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2016, 11:15:33 PM »
It is simply incredible the volume of exquisite artwork there is on the structures of the Long Corridor. At times I wonder if people really appreciate how priceless the collection is!