Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 204319 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2015, 06:47:35 PM »
Here is the translation of the Geyuan Garden description:

6 Geyuan Garden, by Lei Ting

Gardens in the city of Yangzhou have been highly applauded. In the Qing Dynasty, Yangzhou gardens were praised as "best under the sun". In his "Anecdotes on Yangzhou", Li Dou mentioned that "Hangzhou excels in its lakes and mountains; Suzhou in its markets; and Yangzhou in its gardens. The three cities each have its own characteristics, no more and no less than the others." Among the Yangzhou gardens, the most historic, best preserved and most artistic one is the Geyuan Garden, located in the northwest part of this ancient city. The garden took its name from the line by the poet Yuan Mei: "Bamboo under the moon casts thousands of 个 (a Chinese character resembling the shape of bamboo leaves, pronounced as "ge" -translator) on the ground." The Geyuan Garden features bamboo and rockeries, creating various landscape with rocks. It has rockeries for four seasons: the Spring Rockery features rocks in the shape of bamboo shoots. The Summer Rockery is hollow inside, but uniquely shaped outside. The Fall Rockery is made of yellow rocks, surrounded by crimson maple trees. The Winter Rockery uses pale rocks (quartz - translator) from the Xuancheng area, to create snow-like landscape in winter. The South Wall next to the Winter Rockery has openings in it, for producing sounds mimicking howling wind in winter. In contrast, the circular windows on the West Wall reveal a tint of spring. How can this important link in the history of Chinese gardens be left out of our Classical Garden Series? After serious considerations, the leader of the Design and Engraving Group of Shanghai Mint, Xie Xingrui, was entrusted with the design job, and Lin Feng, the highly respected engraving in the industry, took up engraving. On the small surface of the medal, one can see slender bamboo casting its shadow, a clear pond enshrouded in serenity, rugged rockery standing tall and fish jumping out of water, sending ripples across.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures below in the order of
Summer Rockery
Fall Rockery
Winter Rockery
South Wall
West Wall
Pavilion on water
Spring Rockery

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #301 on: October 15, 2015, 08:17:11 PM »
Let us hope they put the time and effort in minting this that the series deserves, I'd hate to see it tainted with a rush job on someone's marketing scheme.  :001_rolleyes:

That's always the risk with such mintages. Only time will tell. For now the photos could give a hint of how complex or well thought out the design is and whether it adds something new to what the medal series is trying to convey. Is the Guyuan Garden important enough to merit a medal; anything new? I'll have a more detailed look at the medal later in the day although I am no expert in art appraisal!

Here is the translation of the Geyuan Garden description:

6 Geyuan Garden, by Lei Ting

Gardens in the city of Yangzhou have been highly applauded. In the Qing Dynasty, Yangzhou gardens were praised as "best under the sun". In his "Anecdotes on Yangzhou", Li Dou mentioned that "Hangzhou excels in its lakes and mountains; Suzhou in its markets; and Yangzhou in its gardens. The three cities each have its own characteristics, no more and no less than the others." Among the Yangzhou gardens, the most historic, best preserved and most artistic one is the Geyuan Garden, located in the northwest part of this ancient city. The garden took its name from the line by the poet Yuan Mei: "Bamboo under the moon casts thousands of 个 (a Chinese character resembling the shape of bamboo leaves, pronounced as "ge" -translator) on the ground." The Geyuan Garden features bamboo and rockeries, creating various landscape with rocks. It has rockeries for four seasons: the Spring Rockery features rocks in the shape of bamboo shoots. The Summer Rockery is hollow inside, but uniquely shaped outside. The Fall Rockery is made of yellow rocks, surrounded by crimson maple trees. The Winter Rockery uses pale rocks (quartz - translator) from the Xuancheng area, to create snow-like landscape in winter. The South Wall next to the Winter Rockery has openings in it, for producing sounds mimicking howling wind in winter. In contrast, the circular windows on the West Wall reveal a tint of spring. How can this important link in the history of Chinese gardens be left out of our Classical Garden Series? After serious considerations, the leader of the Design and Engraving Group of Shanghai Mint, Xie Xingrui, was entrusted with the design job, and Lin Feng, the highly respected engraving in the industry, took up engraving. On the small surface of the medal, one can see slender bamboo casting its shadow, a clear pond enshrouded in serenity, rugged rockery standing tall and fish jumping out of water, sending ripples across.

I guess this puts the Geyuan Garden medal in it's correct context with respect to the Classical Garden theme and production quality concerns.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:29 AM »
I posted photos of the Summer Palace Gate medals (taken with the iPad Air) at another section of this forum: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11855.msg69243;topicseen#msg69243

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #303 on: November 13, 2015, 11:12:29 PM »
I noticed that the COA of the 2014 Silver Summer Palace Xiequyuan medal shows a fineness of 9999/10000 (= .9999). Is this a typo or is the medal made of .9999 silver? Current Chinese silver coins and medals usually have a fineness of .999.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #304 on: November 13, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
I just confirmed with one of the sponsors. This is a typo. Should be 0.999.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #305 on: November 13, 2015, 11:33:06 PM »
I just confirmed with one of the sponsors. This is a typo. Should be 0.999.

Thanks. Saw it as I was carrying out a long put off task of trying to sort and catalogue COAs and boxes.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2015, 08:30:12 PM »
Liu Yuan, which will be released next year, has its plaster model made.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:14 PM »
Liu Yuan, which will be released next year, has its plaster model made.

So what's happening? I thought the Humble Administrator's Garden was going to be next then Geyuan burst upon us and now Liuyuan Garden. Will the Administrator medal be minted in 2016? Thanks for clarification.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
So what's happening? I thought the Humble Administrator's Garden was going to be next then Geyuan burst upon us and now Liuyuan Garden. Will the Administrator medal be minted in 2016? Thanks for clarification.
I just asked. It looks that Liu Yuan will come before the Humble Administrator's Garden, although the COA of the latter is dated before Liu Yuan.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #309 on: November 22, 2015, 04:01:38 PM »
2015 Mountain Resort (Summer Palace Gate) Medal Grading (as of July 25, 2015)

I have tabulated the grading data referred to by NBM to allow easier visual interpretation leading to the following impressions:

1. Approximately 20% of the mintage have been graded so far by NGC and PCGS.

2. About 32% of the Silver Proof medals that have been graded scored PF70. This is already proportionately and numerically better than the Yuanmingyuan grading for the same proof silver medal. (YMY has only six PF70s out of a total of 274 graded so far).

3. Please note that the population of the Summer Palace Gate silver proof medals that has been graded so far may or may not be representative of the total silver proof medals. Dealers, sellers and enthusiasts may have cherry picked medals to send for grading at this early stage. However, this assertion could be inaccurate because other medal classes did not grade as well as the silver proof medal; so were they also cherry picked?!

4. You may have to send your silver proof medals to NGC for grading to improve your chances of getting a PF70 grade! This is scientific not just humor. With the number of PF69s and PF70s graded so far NGC is likely to be more confident grading this medal PF69/70 if their established criteria are met.

5. The PCGS grading profile for the Brass, Silver Matte and Brass Matte medals is better than that of NGC. I have heard it said before that PCGS is more confident and better skilled at grading exotic and expensive coins and medals compared to NGC. I don't know if this is what is at play here but there is a clear difference between the two grading companies here.

6. A total of 63 Silver Matte medals were graded PF64 by NGC! While accepting the competence and professionalism of NGC I must comment that this disproportionately poor grading by NGC does not make sense especially when compared to the grading profile for PCGS. I am not ordinarily an advocate of cracking out your coin and sending for regrading but the wide discrepancy here may be an argument for regrading these medals at PCGS.

7. Seems like you probably should send all non-silver proof Summer Palace Gate medals to PCGS for grading for a more favorable/?realistic grading outcome.

8. Finally, this preliminary grading profile of the Summer Palace Gate medal should assist with buying decisions online.

Update of Grading Statistics for the 2015 Classical Gardens Summer Palace Gate (Mountain Resort) Medals

This is an update of a previous review of the grading statistics for the above mentioned medal that I posted in July 2015. The current version is based on data extracted from the NGC and PCGS websites today November 22, 2015.

The attached table provides details of the statistics from which the following highlights are derived:
1. 30% of the total mintage (597/1980) have been graded by both NGC and PCGS.
2. The PF70 grading was recorded for:
    1. 25% of the Proof Silver medals (75/295)
    2. 2% of the Matte Silver medals (2/102)
    3. 8% of the Proof Brass medals (10/132) and
    4. 15% of the Matte Brass medals (10/68).

Again, it is noted that NGC had disproportionately higher grades for Proof Silver medals when compared to PCGS. It is also shown convincingly that much better grades were recorded for the Matte Silver, Proof Brass and the Matte Brass medals by PCGS when compared to NGC.

These findings are significant given that 30% of the minted medals have now being graded by these two pre-eminent companies.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2015, 09:37:58 AM »
I saw the Yeyuan Medal on eBay this morning; ungraded, PF69 and PF70. Has it been launched in China? Will update later.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
Yes. Shipping is ongoing right now.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #312 on: December 14, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
I saw the Yeyuan Medal on eBay this morning; ungraded, PF69 and PF70. Has it been launched in China? Will update later.
items number:151915467801 & 151915678687

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #313 on: December 14, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
NGC PF70 US $399.00 151915483191

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #314 on: December 14, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
There are more silver 70's than 69's this time.