Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 248035 times)

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #465 on: July 19, 2019, 06:40:46 AM »
Beautiful series.     When the Mint restruck them in brass a few years after they were released in silver/gold that angered many collectors and probably why we see the price drop today.    Fwang would know.....

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #466 on: December 12, 2019, 06:18:47 AM »
Anyone know if these were apart of the original variations?  Anyone have additional information on whether the series continues or is it ended?  My understanding is that some Chinese lady purchased the rights to the series?  She tried to continue beyond the initial series after the 20 oz version was complete, and it was met with lukewarm results?  And apparently a lot of collectors and die hard fans are upset about her going back in adding variations to the 1st in the series YuanYuan?  Anyway, I saw these recently, and I don’t remember seeing them before.  Thoughts?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #467 on: December 12, 2019, 01:25:52 PM »
Anyone know if these were apart of the original variations?  Anyone have additional information on whether the series continues or is it ended?  My understanding is that some Chinese lady purchased the rights to the series?  She tried to continue beyond the initial series after the 20 oz version was complete, and it was met with lukewarm results?  And apparently a lot of collectors and die hard fans are upset about her going back in adding variations to the 1st in the series YuanYuan?  Anyway, I saw these recently, and I don’t remember seeing them before.  Thoughts?

As far as I know, this series has ended. I have not heard of any Chinese lady purchasing rights to the series. Yes, many in the group were deeply upset about the issuing of the different formats of the original Yuyuan medal, which only had the silver version. I am one of them. For that reason, I am done with Shanghai Mint's current day issues.

The pictures in your post show the Mountain Resort medals, not Yuyuan.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #468 on: December 12, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »
Thank you fwang. Sorry for not being clear about the Mountain Resort pieces. Although it is disappointing that they went back and restruck different types, the beauty of this series is still amazing. I’ve read through the thread to understand the complexity of the series and how difficult some of these were to mint - broken dies - the labor involved to produce these pieces is quite impressive. I saw this On ebay: Shanghai Mint ShuiHui Classical Garden. Is this not a continuation of the series or is it considered garden series 2 or is not related at all?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #469 on: December 12, 2019, 10:01:10 PM »
Thank you fwang. Sorry for not being clear about the Mountain Resort pieces. Although it is disappointing that they went back and restruck different types, the beauty of this series is still amazing. I’ve read through the thread to understand the complexity of the series and how difficult some of these were to mint - broken dies - the labor involved to produce these pieces is quite impressive. I saw this On ebay: Shanghai Mint ShuiHui Classical Garden. Is this not a continuation of the series or is it considered garden series 2 or is not related at all?

Long story short, the medal in the pictures was commissioned by the local government where the garden is, instead of being sponsored by the Classical Garden medals team. It was supposed to have been minted before the Classical Garden series, but then those who commissioned it agreed to postpone the release till the Classical Garden series was completed. So it is like an appendage, adopting the name of the Classical Garden series. It is sometimes called Classical Garden Series 2, but nobody takes that seriously, because it is the only medal in the series.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #470 on: December 12, 2019, 10:22:35 PM »
Fascinating!  Thanks for explaining these details. I think my favorite of all is the mountain resort. Although the old summer palace is another of my favorites.  I’m going to learn more about these and do more research.  Thanks again.

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #471 on: December 13, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »
I own none of this series as they are newer issue.    However the best are the gold version....stunning.     Have not seen them on ebay for a few years.....

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #472 on: December 13, 2019, 11:18:19 AM »
I was browsing earlier and found this 118g gold piece. Spectacular, but pricey.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123807509030