Author Topic: Selling - 1996 Proof 5oz. silver Unicorn  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Kirin

• Trade Count: (+1)
Selling - 1996 Proof 5oz. silver Unicorn
« on: October 04, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »
Selling:
                     1996 - Proof Unicorn silver -  (None bearded type, very rare proof!).  From expert reports
> of the 999 minted, substantially LESS then 10% are None Bearded.  The last one sold, that I know of (an NGC PF69UC) sold for $7,000.00 to a Dealer in China.  So there would be a mark up in price I would guess from the $7,000.00.  This one I have is an NGC PF69UC candidate for sure, clean & prime condition.  Comes w/Box & COA.     Asking $5298.00 plus Paypal fee.  Shipped Registered fully insured.  Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-1996-5oz-AG-UNICORN-PRINCESS-PROOF-NON-BEARDED-EXTREMELY-RARE-/351168310612?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item51c3432d54
                    Also a 1989 - Guan Yu - "God of the Warriors of China" 5oz. gold NGC PF69UC  - at a reasonable price of $21,388.00 (Bank Wire or certified Bank Check).  A purchase agreement would be executed.  This includes shipping Registered fully insured   Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-1989-GUAN-YU-GOD-OF-CHINA-WARRIORS-5oz-999-GOLD-NGC-PF69UC-/251666178568?
Thanks;
Kirin 

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Re: Selling - 1996 Proof 5oz. silver Unicorn
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »
The 1996 "no beard" is a tough coin to find....here is an excellent discussion about this variety.  It is one of the top coins in my collection.  I personally view this as a die error.  I believe I have only seen 3 of these to date.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=9445.0

Offline Kirin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:24:15 PM »
Hi Chris;
 Thanks for the link & furtherance of clarity & discussion.  I sense that this is not a die error, else why the mirror quality "broadening" under the arm.  The die would have had to have been polished to mirror finish in that enlarged area under the Maiden's arm.  If it did get "clogged" with metal debris, & finished off by polishing the strike would not have been sustainable even after one strike.  It would stand to reason that it was an original fault in a set of the new dies.  Of course these 5oz. dies were singular of diameter, designed for the 5oz. AG > proof run only specific.  Possibly an original mistake in the steel dies on just the obverse on one of the sets??  No other in the series was struck in this image larger then 1oz. other then this unique silver strike. Interesting.

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
To clarify, when I refer to die error, I was suggesting the coin was made in error or mistake. 

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
IMO, the “no beard” coin was produced with a different die. The enlarged mirror surface under the arm is very smooth, unlike the “broadening” caused by the difference in frosty treatment of the die. In addition, overall, “no beard” version shows a less 3-dimensional details vs. “beard” version. The size and shape of the mouth are also slightly different from each other.

Kirin:

I have never seen this 5 oz. silver coin in an individual package. Usually, it is either in the 1/10 oz. gold, 1, 5 oz. silver 3-coin set or 1/2oz gold, ¼ oz. Pt, 5 oz. silver 3-coin set. Can you please provide the package information of this coin? Thanks.

Offline Kirin

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:58:40 AM »
IMO, the “no beard” coin was produced with a different die. The enlarged mirror surface under the arm is very smooth, unlike the “broadening” caused by the difference in frosty treatment of the die. In addition, overall, “no beard” version shows a less 3-dimensional details vs. “beard” version. The size and shape of the mouth are also slightly different from each other.

Kirin:

I have never seen this 5 oz. silver coin in an individual package. Usually, it is either in the 1/10 oz. gold, 1, 5 oz. silver 3-coin set or 1/2oz gold, ¼ oz. Pt, 5 oz. silver 3-coin set. Can you please provide the package information of this coin? Thanks.

Good Morning Poconopen;
              I agree, I sense that this variety was indeed either a mistaken engraved obverse die OR more likely > as you have suggested > not an error at all but a specific image opted for in the die design process.  Yet the "Mint" (who ever they were, & did the China Mint actually produce the dies & mintages??) opted out of this broadened mirror under the arm die.  When compared to the bearded version, the non-bearded is a bit awkward, as visibly observed.
               This particular 5oz. did indeed come from a three piece set (1/4oz. PT, 1/2oz. AU & 5oz. AG).  The COA I have is from that release.  The Wooden Box I have for this 5oz. is a "generic (yet old) 5oz. box, but I do have the plush soft covered clasped box which so many of these Unicorn releases came in as well.  The Unicorn was not in an outer soft plastic seal.  I believe that the COAs (like the one Xu Hong has listed - 1996 - 5oz. AG) are "after market" COAs produced to fulfill the collector's desire for an individual Certificate.  MANY of the 1994 - 97 Unicorn PF/BU COAs are after market printed, most (but not all) were sold in these sets, save the 1oz. PTs, 1oz. AUs from what I have seen IMExperience.   Thanks for you & Chris's input, very interesting.