Author Topic: Zeng Chenghu discussing coin dies including those for pagodas and goldfish  (Read 28357 times)

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)

Offline wg

Re: Zeng Chenghu discussing coin dies including those for pagodas and goldfish
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
1.pic ag 84 .. the right water plant reaches to the fin of the g.fish
2.pic 84 ag plated
3.pic ag 1990

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 12:09:45 AM »
Nicely done.  N31
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 12:15:43 AM »
  N29  N31 N6 N16 N18
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline wg

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2019, 05:20:07 PM »
I have seen more of these hand carved wooden goldfish on boxes on ebay.     The first one was several years ago.     Have seen about 4 to 5 of them since then.....

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »
There a large collection of medals for sale in the hertgage auctions last night. 

11x 1984 pagoda sets, sold for around $900/set, which is around the late 2010 price, followed by a spike to $10000 in 2011

10x 1984 goldfish sets, sold for around $800/set, which is around the early 2010 price, followed by a spike to $4000 in 2011

8x 1985 1/10oz gold vaulth protectors, $400/each, don't remember price on these

11x 1987 5oz silver vault protectors, sold around $500, don't remember price history on these, but $500 should be decade low price

10x 1989 5oz silver god of war, $500/each, I used to sell them for $200 in mid 2010, then they spiked to $2000

The reason I don't like medals is hoard can come out and crush the price.  It can happen with any coin, but medals are 10x worse because the sponsor often keeps a bunch of them or sell them to other in bulk because their cost basis is very low.  I have bought some of these coins in 20-70 count lots back in 2009-2010, even 1987 1oz gold twin towers a dealer dumped 40 pieces on me for melt plus 8% in 2009, despite the coin selling for 100% over melt a year earlier.  There simply isn't any liquidity unless someone pumps and dumps, which sucked in a lot of newbies on this forum back in 2011.  Chime in if you are still around and licking your wounds, most are RIP collectors. 

Despite my bearishness, I did try to buy these near melt, but failed to win.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
The 1989 Gold Vault is a 1990 15 oz Gold Vault that Bonke mentioned graded sold for about $72,000 when market was up.     $50,000 is a great price w/ 99 mint.     Some very good prices....
I am sure you are right about medal prices but when bullion takes off again, there will be many more flooding into this market.   Due to all the money printing worldwide, i do not see prices rising and dropping quick again as in the past.      Just my opinion but gold/silver will become high demand for a very long time......

Photo of a 1992 PF 69 1 oz Proof Gold Panda  $10,000     
Hmmm, looks like a familiar site to me.    Told my friends to buy it but those that can afford it want mining stocks as the rise up will be faster, so they say.     Mining stocks are paper money aren't they?     Hopefully the Proof Gold Pandas and other rare Gold Pandas/Gold Chinese will lead this market to new heights soon.....

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
...............................  There simply isn't any liquidity unless someone pumps and dumps, which sucked in a lot of newbies on this forum back in 2011.  Chime in if you are still around and licking your wounds, most are RIP collectors. 

Creating an unreasonably exuberant expectation of the prospects of a coin, medal, series or even the precious metals themselves, and price gouging newbies, are all correlates of the pump and dump scheme. This was still operational when I got interested in Chinese coins and medals in 2014. You still see their vapor trails now and then. It is despicable behavior. Unfortunately you only learn from personal misadventures. But you never forget those lessons and the perpetrators.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 10:41:45 PM »
KeepOnTrying

I am still selling coins and medals which I purchased for the "wrong" price in past years.  I wish I could blame someone else.  Long ago, I was taught to Buy The Book and educate myself before making purchases.  Unfortunately, this is very difficult to do.  Patience is required.  Instead, I made purchases of many, many coins and medals at inappropriate prices.  I had the fever.  I did not control myself.

I have quite a few coins in the Stacks Bowers auction which is scheduled for early October in Hong Kong.  If I am very, very fortunate, I will break even.  If I am only very fortunate, I will lose a small amount of money.

Mark Bonke

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »
We all understand caution and taking losses.     Didn't Jesse Livermore say you make more $ by holding then selling?     The strong hands have it right.     Buy low or buy high, just do not sell until the big boom in bullion arrives and it is nearly here.    World demand for bullion is off the charts.     Supply is very tight.     When price control is lost then we will know the world markets have changed.     I am a strong hand and a optimist.      Those that buy and sell, are usually upgrading their personal collection too.         Give it time, bullion is almost ready to roar and rare Chinese coins/medals will rule.....

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »
What Mark is forgetting to mention is all the fun he had buying and selling coins.  He has been to China and HK multiple more times than I have and most of his trips are recreation vs business.  If he had to do it all over again he would have done it the same way, except maybe stay home in 2011-2012. 

Predicating what will do well and what will struggle comes down to what will dealers promote.  In the US a complete set of BU silver eagles is heavily promoted and prices of 1990, 1994 and 1996 silver eagles are significantly more expensive than all the other bullion years.  If it weren't for the promotion of these sets those key years would trade no different than all the other years because millions of each year minted. https://silvereagleguide.com/mintages/  For gold and platinum eagles no such set is promoted and you see that all the years basically trade for the same spread. 

As mentioned in an earlier post, a forum member had a large holding of pagoda sets and he started promoting them as super rare, even though I was buying them for $500-$1000 in the wholesale market.  He bought up every one I got at prices under $2000 and then he convinced people to pay $10,000-$25,000 for the set a year later, yes a very smart (outside the coin world) forum member paid $25,000 for set that is worth $1600 today.

What will the next promotion be for medals?  I have always liked the 1oz silver Munich medals, but how many Germans would buy a set, how many American and Chinese, it is hard to say.  But I can say with certainty a 1oz silver 10y panda series will be popular and many will collect.  So if you like design the Munich silver very nice, if you like profits the silver 10y panda are the way to go. 

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
Somebody name a hobby where you get to break-even.

If you like remote control airplanes, you lose thousands.

If you like riding horses, that will cost you.   No break-even when you sell the horse.

Coins are the best if you must break-even.   

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Arif and Clark

Arif is correct.  I enjoy complaining about my losses or mistakes.  I almost never describe my "good buys" or "enjoyable trips" to wherever, whenever and for whatever reason.

Clark is also correct.  Still, his comments make me sad.  As a collector, I want to buy what I want, when I want it, for whatever price and, still, make money when I sell it.  Hmmmmm!

If you do not know Arif and Clark, attend a coin show (when they are held in your area in the future) and spend some time talking to them.  They are both wonderful people.  They are kind.  They are friendly.  They are knowledgeable. They share their knowledge and "words of wisdom" without hesitation.  Obviously, I cannot say enough positive words to describe them.  And I met both of them many years ago as a collector wandering the aisles of coin shows.

Still, do what I say and not what I do.  If you have an interest in Chinese coins, buy a book or two or three.  Read them.  Meet as many collectors, investors and dealers as possible.  Ask them questions.  Attend auctions.  Preview coins.  Buy coins with care.  Strongly consider sending them to NCS for conservation and NGC for authentication, grading and encapsulation. 

And, as a final thought, I have purchased coins and medals from Arif and Clark over the years.  My one mistake.  I did not buy enough coins or medals from them.  They have the experience to purchase outstanding coins and medals.  When I have purchased from them, I have never been disappointed when the box appeared at my door and I have opened it to find a new item for my collection.

Mark Bonke