Author Topic: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins  (Read 99675 times)

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: Peoples Repulic of China Fen coins
« Reply #195 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
I am new to posting on this forum but have read through this thread may times in the last few years.  I purchased a flat rate closed box at an estate auction in 1994 and it contained a collection of Chinese fen, all of them 2 fen except for one 1 fen (1983).  I have coins from 1961-1985 with many duplicates and also missing some years.  I've attached a few photos and was wondering if anyone can give me advice about valuating the coins - should I take them to a local international coin dealer and see what they know?  Or would my best bet be a larger coin show in Atlanta?  I am curious if any of them are worth sending in for valuation by PCGS or if they are just common low-grade coins.  I can also post clearer pictures if needed.

I appreciate any opinions  :001_smile:

Thanks,
J

Welcome to the forum.

The pictures are not good enough to see the condition of the coins. However, none of the coin appears to be in UNC condition. Therefore, none of them will have value higher than $1, except 1961 2 fen which can have value more than $1, if the condition is better than VF. IMO, based on your pictures, the total value of those coins will be less than $10.

Offline jmmann222

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #196 on: April 28, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
Thanks so much for your response. I agree they do not appear UNC although a few of them have UNC notated on the holder...but I don't know how or by whom that was determined.  Here's a few more pics of the 1961 2 fen fronts and backs in case that helps verify any value or lack thereof.  My best camera is not with me at the moment. I appreciate your opinions!

Thanks,
J

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #197 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
Yes, both coins are in VF/+ condition, the details of  high spots are worn smooth and date is readable, but no more luster. 

Offline Pandapaule

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2015, 06:53:49 AM »
Hello

Is it worthwhile to evaluate this coin?
What assessment they could get and how about the value?

Many thanks

Offline PandaQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
Is there a Peking order for the fen coin series not including the proof coins, and are there any solid mintage numbers available? I have gained much interest in this series since the release of most recent Sun Keqin's catalog last year. Have there been any major changes compared to the pricing in the catolog? I can't help it but notice how disregarded they are in the US, as most fen coins are in junk world coin boxes and bags in poor condition, and how difficult they are to find in unc condition especially the pre-70 dates. It would be very interesting if someone came out with a book of surviving populations in collector condition.

Last questions, is the collector Base in mainland China still growing and is demand for high grade fen coins in demand? Or has the focus been turned to other coin series?

Thanks in advance, Btw very informative thread!

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
Hi,
Is there an English Version of Sun Keqin's catalog and if so -- what is its full title.
Best wishes.
Sequoia.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2016, 05:16:27 PM »
Hi,
Is there an English Version of Sun Keqin's catalog and if so -- what is its full title.
Best wishes.
Sequoia.
Sun Keqin's latest catalog was fully translated, but due to the size and cost limit, the published version only has the major sections translated, which should be enough for reference.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
Is there a Peking order for the fen coin series not including the proof coins, and are there any solid mintage numbers available? I have gained much interest in this series since the release of most recent Sun Keqin's catalog last year. Have there been any major changes compared to the pricing in the catolog? I can't help it but notice how disregarded they are in the US, as most fen coins are in junk world coin boxes and bags in poor condition, and how difficult they are to find in unc condition especially the pre-70 dates. It would be very interesting if someone came out with a book of surviving populations in collector condition.

Last questions, is the collector Base in mainland China still growing and is demand for high grade fen coins in demand? Or has the focus been turned to other coin series?

Thanks in advance, Btw very informative thread!
Yes, there is a pecking order among the fen coins, the best known of which are the so called "Five Heavenly Kings", the 5 fen of 1979, the 5 fen and 2 fen of 1980, and the 5 fen and 1 fen of 1981. These were not minted for circulation. Instead they were packaged for sale as gifts or tourist souvenirs. I was translating a more detailed article on the top fen coins, but found myself distracted by other errands.

They are not favored in the US because of their relatively low prices. The 1980 5 fen coin in the Franklin Mint package (one of the Five Heavenly Kings), for example, sold recently for around 200 dollars. It is a pretty impressive gain over the price around $160 in the middle of last year, but a not-so-rare silver coin can easily beat the price. Why would a coin dealer bother?

The collector base of circulating coins is still growing. There is a steady demand for high grade circulating coins. However, recent label games promoted by NGC is very distracting, especially among newcomers.

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
Ah yes the Kings of Fens! I was referring more to the rest of the fens, my main interest are the pre-70's fens in unc condition. 

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
Sun Keqin's latest catalog was fully translated, but due to the size and cost limit, the published version only has the major sections translated, which should be enough for reference.

Which issue is his latest catalog and what is its full correct title and issue number

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
Which issue is his latest catalog and what is its full correct title and issue number
Here are some details: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11656.0

Offline Sequoia

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:13 PM »
Here are some details: http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11656.0

Thank you very much I appreciate it.
Best wishes.
Sequoia

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #207 on: February 29, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »
Here is my ranking based on my own research on published documents and observation in the market place. The ranking of grade rarity may change, if a bank roll (100 coins) is discovered in somebody’s junk box or drawer. This happened in recent years for 1957 and 1976 1 fen. Mintage of fen coins are not known officially, but rarity was done by a researcher at bank who counted several millions fen coins returned to bank from different locations inside China and published the results about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I can not locate the original paper.   

Mintage Rarity   Grade Rarity

1957 1 fen           1959 2 fen
1955 1 fen           1963 2 fen
1959 2 fen           1961 1 fen
1956 1 fen           1961 2 fen
1958 1 fen           1958 1 fen
1963 2 fen           1957 1 fen
1955 5 fen           1962 2 fen
1976 1 fen           1956 1 fen
1974 2 fen           1974 2 fen
1959 1 fen           1957 5 fen

Disclosure: I do own complete fen coin set (1955-2012) in UNC condition.

Offline PandaQuest

« Reply #208 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:21 PM »
Thanks for your insight poconopenn, very helpful!. I'm far from having an unc set, nor do I plan on having one, but I do enjoy searching for the earlier dates in unc condition. I also collect the proof fens and proof jiao coins!

I would love to see the article from the bank researcher you mention in your post, please do post if you find it!

Offline pjleung

• Supporter
« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Hi poconopenn, do you happened to know any Fen coins sellers from China who will sell their coins oversea directly? I mean beside e-bay?