Author Topic: Has NGC recently loosened standards for 70 grades?  (Read 6546 times)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: Has NGC recently loosened standards for 70 grades?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »
all submissions from mid 2014 till present are from hoard #2 IMHO

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
As some might know  ,I had a few sheets of small D (disclosure still have it is in my 7 year old twins stack :)  so they decide what happens to it) . Everyone can read the old threads . The first shot of these coins where in my hands and 1 or 2 others we inadvertently bought them as 2001 D and when some where sent to NGC they recognized and graded the small D variety. Then all hell broke loose .No one knows for sure how and why these where minted ..Then in 2014  1 PERSON a coin guy in Beijing china stumbled upon more .All of these where in untouched sheet form pristine. All those mid 2014 submission,s .where from 1 guy ,he used another dealer in Shanghai  and submitted both to NGC and PCGS simultaneously  and as you can see  he did it slowly TRYING NOT TO CRASH THE MARKET. there was apx 15 sheets found in another location seperate from the first hoard... this is first hand knowledge  Full disclosure I did buy limited amount of the second hoard .....they where from the same mint and had production slips inside the sheets all within the same month .
jc8x8,
+1, thank you for your insight.  You are one of the forum members I hoped would chimed in and provide first hand account of the hoards.  It is possible that the 2nd hoard is better quality than the first, but since PCGS 70 population remained at 22-24% while NGC went from 4% to 14% during the same time period, I'm leaning toward the explanation that NGC had relaxed its ms70 standard.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 01:39:59 PM »
I would not doubt it  Sandac, I have graded a fair amount of coins ,I dont know if I would call the perceived or factual relaxing of grading  intentional or a mandate . I will tell you to me it is more cyclical ,Without anything to back it up ..you can submit for a few months coins you feel are exceptional and not get great results ... then that usually gets me to slow down submitting ..then all of a sudden you send in a couple of submissions and get better than expected grades when that happens I try to concentrate my submissions ...totally  unscientific ..who knows it could be something as simple as workload at NGC? , personnel changes?? etc .... it in my opinion ebbs and flows.....