Author Topic: TIANANMEN SQUARE MASSACRE 25 YEARS AGO TODAY  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Pandaguy

• Trade Count: (0)
TIANANMEN SQUARE MASSACRE 25 YEARS AGO TODAY
« on: June 04, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »
If you live in a "FREE" country, please remember to read about the Tiananmen Square Massacre that was perpetrated by the People's Liberation Army/Chinese Communist Party upon unarmed civilians 25 years ago on this date. Of course, anything having to do with "Tiananmen Square" is blocked from the internet in China. Is that a sign of a very paranoid and insecure government? Unfortunately, most Chinese know NOTHING of this tragic incident. 

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: TIANANMEN SQUARE MASSACRE 25 YEARS AGO TODAY
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:44:02 PM »
Hi Pandaguy, Thanks for the reminder. Hope this topic is not going to make this site blocked by the very paranoid and insecure CCP/PLA hackers from those not-so-free users in China.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
The Tiananmen Square Incident in 1989 had significant effects on the MCC market. I did not buy any MCC, similar to many world coin collectors, for many years to express our disapproval of the crackdown of the student demonstration. China Mint had very difficult time to market its coins for the next few years and had to decrease the mintage significantly. This was one of the reason that actual mintage of MCC was less than 50% of the planned mintage in many MCC issued between 1990 and 1998.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Please do not bring politics onto this numismatic site. I went through the event myself, and have had fresh view since then. But I do not want to start a debate here.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
Tianamen Square in 1989 is relevant to numismatic.    Like poconopen says the incident caused decreased sales and lower actual mintages if not lower surviving pop.   What affects MCC and why is important.   For new collectors to target the early years of 1979 to 1998 is very good information and i did forward this post to my group of collectors........

Offline Pandaguy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Tianamen Square in 1989 is relevant to numismatic.    Like poconopen says the incident caused decreased sales and lower actual mintages if not lower surviving pop.   What affects MCC and why is important.   For new collectors to target the early years of 1979 to 1998 is very good information and i did forward this post to my group of collectors........

Thank you pandamonium! I agree. Let be known that two or three of my follow-up posts on this subject were deleted early this morning by one of the forum administrators. In light of the relavance of the Tiananmen Square Massacre vis-a-vis MCC, hopefully, the administrator will see fit to reinstate my posts.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
Pandaguy,
I reviewed the deleted messages and I would've delete them as well had I seen them first.  It is one thing to talk about a political event and how it impacted the design and mintage of coins, but to engage in heated debate about the event itself is not what CCF is about.  I'm in my 30's in 1989 and I too have strong opinion about it, but again, this forum is not the place for political debates.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
When beginning a Chinese coin/medal collection, it opens up doors.   The Chinese history, people, politics, lifestyle, art, etc come to life and is fascinating.  Not allways pretty but what country has not made mistakes?   To learn is to gain.  The many opinions on China from members here, I mull over.   The good, the bad, the happy, the sad.     Chinese coins/medals have the potential to rock the financial world as bullion becomes real money again..........Someday i will visit China.........