Author Topic: Should I crossover PCGS to NGC, or not?  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: Should I crossover PCGS to NGC, or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »

I've sent some stray G1/2 in for crossover.  I'd say perhaps 6 of 10 crossed PCGS 69 to NGC 69.  Perhaps 3 of 10 did not cross.  And then the surprise.  I sent one G1/2 in that was a PCGS MS69 and it came back a NGC MS70! I've attached the PCGS file image.  The PCGS file photo has a noticeable red spot (which kept it no higher than a 69), but otherwise had a nice forehead.  Since I sent it through NCS first, the spot was eliminated, and I guess the NGC graders then liked what they saw.

Overall, if I had not sent the majority of these coins through NCS first, I'm certain that the cross over rate would be lower.  Also, I was somewhat selective in what I sent in.  I screened the coins and decided some PCGS 69s were not in good enough condition to try.  As time goes by, and there has been a preference for NGC for years, I would guess that many of the PCGS graded coins that are still on the market (that aren't in brand new holders) have already had someone look at them to see if they would cross over.  I pretty much assume that if it is an older PCGS holder on eBay it probably isn't in good enough condition to have a good chance of crossing over.  Otherwise, someone would have tried already.  Something to keep in mind.

Take home message:  If I saw an otherwise lovely PCGS 68 or PCGS 69 that has red spots that are present in the PCGS file photo (so they were there at the time of grading), I would not hesitate to send them through NCS and then to NGC grading.  From what I heard, however, I wouldn't try crossing over PCGS 70 to NGC 70.  Although I'm not sure I've ever bought a PCGS 70.

Related to the above, recent thread, here is a recently uploaded Youtube video also showing an MS69 regarding to MS70 after conservation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jPIu2L0oY  (Go to 3:30)

It is interesting to note that this is another YouTuber with over 1000 subscribers who is showing off his gold pandas for many to see.  If just a small fraction of his viewers get interested in gold pandas, it will increase demand for these already tough to find coins. 

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
Birdman, that is a member here at CCF. I'll let him ID himself though.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »
Related to the above, recent thread, here is a recently uploaded Youtube video also showing an MS69 regarding to MS70 after conservation.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jPIu2L0oY  (Go to 3:30)

It is interesting to note that this is another YouTuber with over 1000 subscribers who is showing off his gold pandas for many to see.  If just a small fraction of his viewers get interested in gold pandas, it will increase demand for these already tough to find coins. 

Yeah, that's my video... I'm certain a few of my viewers were buying a bunch of coins from sellers here who have ebay stores. How am i so certain? I personally know a few guys who started buying several 1/10 pandas who have accumulated a large collection as a result, that along with the 1g and 3g run made for a big rally. A fellow Youtuber also saw one of my medals from chinese medals and went down the medal route which caused the recent run up in the lunar panda and the baby panda series. I still do stuff on Pandas to promote them in a non-offensive way to folks in the US. My goal is to increase the awareness of them and also provide a video reference of collecting my set. A lot of people really like the Panda series.

I also considered a pcgs to ngc crossover in one of my vids awhile back. My conclusion is to crossover if you want the registry points or the additional premium in NGC holder. That means if the pcgs doesn't sell for as much then it might be a possibility. The best example I can think of is the 2010 MS70. PCGS, ebay is filled with them in the $200 range, but none to be found in NGC which sells easily for $275+ on ebay. However in MS69, it might not be worth it because PCGS/NGC will be about the same secondary market price.

I've never done it so I don't know the success rate, but reading here it looks pretty bad and would never crossover a pcgs MS70. My uses are smaller though and might not apply to the 1/2 or 1oz. I'm in the small game at 1/10th

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 10:19:58 PM »
Great video ... nice coins !