Author Topic: A focus on Chinese coins at the June 2014 Long Beach Show.  (Read 6873 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
“With all of the excitement, tremendous activity, and soaring prices in the emerging Chinese coin market, as part of our celebration this year of the 50th anniversary of the Long Beach Expo, the upcoming show will feature a focus on the Chinese numismatic market. Twenty dealers from China, including some of the most prominent in the Chinese rare coin market, will be at the show...”

http://www.coinweek.com/people-in-the-news/pawn-stars-casting-team-united-states-mint-chinese-dealers-june-2014-long-beach-expo/

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: A focus on Chinese coins at the June 2014 Long Beach Show.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
Interesting.  I have been contacted on occasion by people that have inherited Chinese items.   The cheap Chinese stuff sells quick to the public.    The Pawn Stars were contacted for the expensive Chinese collections by the family members.   So Pawn Stars have been involved w/ rare Chinese items for some time.   They have the cash to buy and ability/contacts to market the collections.   The general public is starting to understanding that any rare Chinese item could be worth mega bucks so most of society is not selling anything for cheap today.  As the Yuan gains in value and the USD loses, the US public will begin a mania phase for collecting all Chinese rarity and MCC should rise to the top.   These are the beginning steps toward Chinese collectibles/money market......

Offline CPC

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:58 PM »
Nice.  Would love to see some MCC on Pawn Stars.  I can just see the old man wanting to melt some silver pandas ;)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »
   I was told they are big buyers of rare authentic Chinese art, antiques, from estate sales, collections, etc due to their deep pockets.   Probably coins too.   Even Chumley can make bank in the Chinese market.   The old man probably did melt pandas a few years ago..... 

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
Update: Strong Focus on Chinese Coins at Long Beach Expo
http://www.longbeachexpo.com/visitors/attractions

In addition to major dealers and experts from China attending, this show promises quite a lot for the enthusiast of Chinese Numismatics. It sounds like great fun.

The show will feature two information sessions:
06JUN: 11:00-12:00 - The PCGS Modern Chinese Coin Set Registry
05JUN: 1:00-2:00 - Modern Circulating Chinese Coins

There will also be a free PCGS grading class:
07JUN: 10:00-12:00 - Chinese Coing Grading Class

Also there will be a chance to:
*Meet the Chinese Coin Expert

Offline trozau

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »
Update: Strong Focus on Chinese Coins at Long Beach Expo
http://www.longbeachexpo.com/visitors/attractions

In addition to major dealers and experts from China attending, this show promises quite a lot for the enthusiast of Chinese Numismatics. It sounds like great fun.

The show will feature two information sessions:
06JUN: 11:00-12:00 - The PCGS Modern Chinese Coin Set Registry
05JUN: 1:00-2:00 - Modern Circulating Chinese Coins

There will also be a free PCGS grading class:
07JUN: 10:00-12:00 - Chinese Coing Grading Class

Also there will be a chance to:
*Meet the Chinese Coin Expert

Wow! Looks like PCGS sneaked 1 over NGC.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
PCGS has some long-standing deal with the LB Coin Show I believe. NGC didn't have much of a presence there last year either (as far as I know).

Offline trozau

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »
PCGS has some long-standing deal with the LB Coin Show I believe. NGC didn't have much of a presence there last year either (as far as I know).

Also, PCGS is in Cali and NGC is in Fla. Does NGC sponsor any happenings during FUN? I used to live in Fla and never missed FUN but my memory fails me (I wonder if it is because I have not personally availed of slabbing services - although I do have a few slabbed coins in my collection). 
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 09:01:23 PM »
The Long Beach Expo and PCGS are owned by Collectors Universe http://www.collectors.com/

PCGS is working very hard to become the #1 grading company in China, this event is a step towards that goal.  Whether it will help nobody knows, my estimate is 80-90% of the modern coins being sold in China are NGC or are being placed in NGC holders, despite a 5-10% premium for NGC coins.  For older imperial coins PCGS coins are selling at premium and have always done so, I wonder if NGC will make a move to seek that title in the future.

Hope to see some of you at the Long Beach show, I am at table 732, please stop by Thursday-Saturday morning.