Author Topic: Fengtien province last Qing dynasty old Chinese token  (Read 882 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Fengtien province last Qing dynasty old Chinese token
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
Dear collectors and coin dealers,

It has been a while since I posted some researches about Chinese token.

Today I would like to drop you a few lines about tokens from Fengtien province.

There are listed in SCWC 1901-2000:

KM#TnA1 - 10 cents (copper)
KM#Tn1 - 1 dollar (copper)
KMTn1a - 1 dollar (brass)
KM#Tn2 - 100 cents (copper)
KM#Tn3 - 100 cents (brass)

I would like to focus today on 2 of them KM#Tn1 - 1 dollar (copper) and KMTn1a - 1 dollar (brass). When we will take a look on obverse of both coins. We won't find anything interesting in appearance (KM#Tn1 - 1 dollar (copper) - picture B). It look like a standard 10 cash coin issued by nearly every province during last Qing dynasty period. However when we will look on the reverse we will notice 2 very familiar characters which usually we can see on silver dollars, such of as fatman dollar. Those 2 chinese characters "yi yuan" which mean 1 dollar makes were issued by Qing dynasty government for military troops in 1904.

One of them is made of copper (KM#Tn1 - 1 dollar (copper) - picture A, posted also in Woodward #242) and the other is made of brass (KMTn1a - 1 dollar (brass) - picture A).

If some of you have more information about them you can add your 5 cents to this post.

I hope you enjoyed it!:)

Best wishes wishes from beautiful Shanghai^_^

KONDi
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Fengtien province last Qing dynasty old Chinese token
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
PS. Be aware of a fake Fengtien province token. I while ago I was thinking that this is old Shanghai token. But it turns that it is fake Fengtien token. It is ver easy recognize. If you take a look on obverse of this fake token you can see that there is only image of a dragon without Chinese characters and English words. The image of a dragon is in a pure condition when we will compare to the genuine token. The last thing it is made of white metal. The genuine token is made of brass or copper.

This fake token is neither a last Qing dynasty token from Fengtien province nor a Shanghai token.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:25:29 AM by KONDi »
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)